Why was the treatment of the Tolpuddle Martyrs similar to the conscious objectors?

Watch
SiameseSulfate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I just had my History mock and this question came up:

'Explain one way in which the treatment of the tolpuddle martyrs was similar to the treatment of conscious objectors'
[4 marks]

I had no idea, could someone please help me on what I could have written? Thanks
0325future
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had this exact question for my mocks as well I believe it was the first question in the Whitechapel section Ik this was not in the textbook so i was very taken a back when i opened my paper
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I recall that the Tolpuddle Martyrs were transported to Australia, because they took a secret oath. Conscientious objectors were those who refused military service because of their beliefs- although the law recognise them, some were not deemed as such and were imprisoned. I think the conviction for a crime is the similarity, though feel the two cases are very different.
SiameseSulfate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
okay thanks
Josephscott27
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was answering this question too and thought possibly that the similarity is they both were convicted using Army laws. The tolpuddle martyrs were convicted using a old navy law and the consciousness objectors were convicted through conscription.
Becca_iris_Hanan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just had this is my mock too, I don’t think there are similarities except for the army law thing and that it was way harsh! Do you?
nicolef0045
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Becca_iris_Hanan)
I just had this is my mock too, I don’t think there are similarities except for the army law thing and that it was way harsh! Do you?
I agree! I did the think of the angle that they were both shunned from society but that gives you one sentence and even then, tolpuddle martyrs were transported whereas objectors went back home unwelcomed.
flyingpantha2021
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I recommend just going into detail about why they were both convicted using the army laws
ToxicTom45
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SiameseSulfate)
I just had my History mock and this question came up:

'Explain one way in which the treatment of the tolpuddle martyrs was similar to the treatment of conscious objectors'
[4 marks]

I had no idea, could someone please help me on what I could have written? Thanks
I have this mock coming up tomorrow is it paper 1 2019 crime and punishment? if so HELP!
zachpugh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
same, a couple of people from my school said it is the one we are doing however i cant be certaingood luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (22)
6.21%
Uncertainty around my education (38)
10.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (41)
11.58%
Lack of purpose or motivation (48)
13.56%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (18)
5.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.52%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.45%
Financial worries (25)
7.06%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (22)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.82%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (36)
10.17%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (26)
7.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed