Turn on thread page Beta

He messed me around, but I want him back... watch

Announcements

A while back I met a guy, there was an instant attraction between us, and after that we kept bumping into eachother and met up a few times, and he introduced me to a lot of his friends and acted all coupley with me. But then he started going all hot and cold on me, texting me one day saying he wanted to be together and then changing his mind the next day and making excuses, and generally just messing me about and making my feelings go all over the place. Then one day he text me asking to meet up with me but I couldn't because I already had plans with a friend, and then later on when I was with my friend I in town I saw him with another girl, and a few days later they started going out.

A couple of months later he text me saying he had broken up with her for me, I said no but eventually agreed to meet up with him so we could talk. When we met up he seemed genuinely sorry, he asked me out but I said I wanted some time to think about it. Despite the way he had treated me in the past I still really liked him, so a couple of days later I text him telling him my answer, but he started making excuses again and saying that he really cared about me but didn't want a relationship, and then the whole hot and cold business started again, wanting one thing one minute, then changing his mind.

Every time he did this I'd think "right, this is the last chance I'm giving him", but he always managed to sweet talk me round. One day I had really had enough, and decided I had to move on. So I changed my mobile number, deleted him from myspace, avoided him/tried to talk to him in person as little as possible, kept myself busy - basically all the things you are advised to do when you are trying to get over somone. At first it was difficult but after a while I stopped having feelings for him and barely thought about him, and wasn't interested in him at all - over him!

Then a few weeks ago I got a text from him saying he'd persuaded someone who knows us both to give him my new number. He kept apologising and asking what he could do to make things up to me, but I told him I didn't want anything to do with him. He kept texting saying how he was an idiot to mess me about, that I am the best girl he's ever met, how he regrets the way he's treated me, and asking for another chance etc. I didn't believe anything he was saying and got really annoyed and sent back some pretty hurtful replies to him, and then just started ignoring his texts. He text me again a week later but I ignored it.

But since then I haven't been able to get him out of my head, my feelings have come back for him, I've felt so frustrated the last couple of weeks because all I want his him. I want to ask him if we can start fresh and try and make it work, but I don't know whether he will just mess me about again, or how I would go about explaining my change of mind...

Any ideas what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    I'd not bother risking another chance at being taken for a mug again.

ReputationRep:
    uhh why, do you know i actually got dumped for being too nice once?

ReputationRep:
    Sweet monkey jesus don't do it.

Ignore the git, don't let him mess you about. Don't let your self be walked over!

Go find someone who actually cares about you.

ReputationRep:
    He said he didn't want a relationship. You said that you don't have feelings for him anymore. It makes no sense to give him a chance. You gave him plenty and he ****ed it up. So move on with your life. He's not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like he'll talk you right into his bed - and then kick you out of it when he's done!
    mug.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say ignore him, but that would be hypocritical of me, because I know if I was in that situation, I'd go running back to her.

(Original post by Epic Win)
    I'd say ignore him, but that would be hypocritical of me, because I know if I was in that situation, I'd go running back to her.
    Yeah, if someone else had written the original post I'd tell them to forget about him too, but as it's my feelings involved it makes it more complicated to me. Looking back at my post I know how ridiculous I sound, a month a go I wouldn't have even considered having anything to do with him, but the last couple of weeks my feelings have been all over the place. I know he's been a prick and that I shouldn't want him, but I do.
    When trying to forget about someone everyone suggests going out with friends, meeting other guys, exercise, concentrating on hobbies and interests etc but I'm doing all that, but it's like I can't focus on them.
    To explain this- I'm one of these people who hates thinking "what if?", like once I get an idea into my head I have to go through with it to feel satisfied, even if there's a good chance it will turn out badly, so I feel like I won't be able to get on with my life if I don't take a chance on him.
    But yeah as everyone has said, he will probably just take me for a mug again, so I am going to ignore my impulsive side and be sensible for once.

You've ignored him once before and moved on with your life, do it again
    I've got a friend who has been messed about by a guy in a similar fashion to how you have, only she's not prepared to move on and it's making her so miserable but none of us have anything to tell her anymore because she's ignored all our advice.

Don't be in that position, move on and find someone better.

ReputationRep:
    dont regret anything. give him one more chance, tell him it's your last shot. if he acts up even once then you can ignore him , cut him off with peace of mind. then you know he's definately not worth it.

She's given him plenty of 'chances' if you read what's been written, he's just not pulled his socks up and consequently she need to move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah, if someone else had written the original post I'd tell them to forget about him too, but as it's my feelings involved it makes it more complicated to me. Looking back at my post I know how ridiculous I sound, a month a go I wouldn't have even considered having anything to do with him, but the last couple of weeks my feelings have been all over the place. I know he's been a prick and that I shouldn't want him, but I do.
    When trying to forget about someone everyone suggests going out with friends, meeting other guys, exercise, concentrating on hobbies and interests etc but I'm doing all that, but it's like I can't focus on them.
    To explain this- I'm one of these people who hates thinking "what if?", like once I get an idea into my head I have to go through with it to feel satisfied, even if there's a good chance it will turn out badly, so I feel like I won't be able to get on with my life if I don't take a chance on him.
    But yeah as everyone has said, he will probably just take me for a mug again, so I am going to ignore my impulsive side and be sensible for once.
    Good call, you're a stronger person than I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Good for you :yep: I would've fallen for it again, I feel for you :p:.

ReputationRep:
    For some utterly bizarre reason, treating someone mean only enhances their desire for you tenfold. It makes things exciting and dramatic - and people like drama because it keeps them on their toes! However, this is where we confuse drama with passion. If this guy wanted you, he would be with you. Its as simple as that. Sometimes it really is that black and white unfortunately. I really would protect yourself and start working on your own self esteem. Keep yourself busy with what YOU'RE doing.

ReputationRep:
    i'm in the same situation. get over him. i know its so much easier saying than doing yeah....and there are going to be constant reminders of him where ever you go but its summer time so i say rather than spend time thinking about him have fun with your girl friends and move on. try and go to new places and meet new people....guys!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.