abb3yyy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have applied for the LPC/LLM at Cardiff University next year, and need advice as to whether I am stupid to self-fund my LPC.

For context, my academic record is as follows:
-currently on track to graduate with a 1st from Cardiff
-my a-level results were A*AB + A* EPQ

I do not have a training contract lined up, and have not taken part in any vac schemes. I currently have one week work experience in family law from sixth form, some experience sitting in the Crown Court, and am due to attend a Workshop at Slaughter and May next week.
Would it be stupid of me to self-fund the LPC/LLM next year? I know that the market is extremely over saturated, but am I being too unreallistic?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by abb3yyy)
I have applied for the LPC/LLM at Cardiff University next year, and need advice as to whether I am stupid to self-fund my LPC.

For context, my academic record is as follows:
-currently on track to graduate with a 1st from Cardiff
-my a-level results were A*AB + A* EPQ

I do not have a training contract lined up, and have not taken part in any vac schemes. I currently have one week work experience in family law from sixth form, some experience sitting in the Crown Court, and am due to attend a Workshop at Slaughter and May next week.
Would it be stupid of me to self-fund the LPC/LLM next year? I know that the market is extremely over saturated, but am I being too unreallistic?
Decide if you want to gamble and in your own head save time or you would rather wait and try to get an employer to pay?
Why dont you have more experience?

I think its a fair gamble but up to you if you want to pay rather than wait.
Dont forget 2021 and the SQE becomes a viable option if you are going to struggle to pay.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it's a fair gamble too - it's not stupid of you to self fund since you have solid academics but you do need to become more proactive re gaining relevant work experience and applying for training contracts
abb3yyy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for both responses.

Lack of legal work experience is due to having to work full time every summer of uni as I receive the minimum student loan and have no other financial support. However, I am financially better off this year and so can afford bite the bullet and apply for summer vac schemes. I have also enquired about volunteering at Citizens Advice over the 6 weeks I have off for xmas but they had no available opportunities for me.

Any other tips on expanding my work experience portfolio?
Realisticism
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you need to ask yourself what you're aiming to achieve by doing the LPC. It potentially makes you more employable as a paralegal, but in my opinion that's about it. It doesn't, at least in and of itself, make you a more attractive candidate for a training contract (unless you're applying to high street firms who can't afford to fund their trainees' LPC, in which case go ahead and self-fund it).
17Student17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would take the risk. Also so a lot of volunteering in law centres which the LPC probably will have connections to do and keep applying again and again. I applied to 139 firms and had 25 interviews before obtaining a training contract. Even my headmistress at my NE of England school said don't be a lawyer we have too many at the moment (this was in the 1970s) and i just ignored it and kept trying and trying and it paid off.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Realisticism)
I think you need to ask yourself what you're aiming to achieve by doing the LPC. It potentially makes you more employable as a paralegal, but in my opinion that's about it. It doesn't, at least in and of itself, make you a more attractive candidate for a training contract (unless you're applying to high street firms who can't afford to fund their trainees' LPC, in which case go ahead and self-fund it).
if you go on LawCareers.net and tick the filter for no law school sponsorship you will see a much wider range of firms than small high street practices.

Although we agonise about funding, we have never done so and a decent supply of trainees keeps coming. What we do offer is realistic career progression.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.17%
12.44%
12.33%
18.09%
23.16%
19.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed