desktopcooking
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(this isn't a question btw) in school, we are planning to have a fake general election on the 12th amongst our year group (year 11) because our teachers want to get us more interested in politics lol. so, every Thursday and friday, we've been going through some of the major partys' (the top five on the poll) manifestos and having class debates on what we think of them. it's actually been quite interesting - i didn't know so many trees are pledged to be planted lol

anyway though, i was asking around to see what people are voting and it's basically all labour and then quite a bunch of green party's and that's it (save one person voting the Brexit party by themsleves) and i feel like it's been so fascinating to see how people form their political opinions, esp. the ones that aren't going to vote.

i would have said I'll update this thread after our own results come out, but i don't think it's gonna be much of a surprise haha
jahurac
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My schools also doing that - they're calling it a shadow election. There are a bunch of postrs all around school for the different parties, but there are also other made up parties, like Vision and Gopnik. Theres been a bunch of hustings and stuff at lunch and it's been pretty interesting.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by desktopcooking)
(this isn't a question btw) in school, we are planning to have a fake general election on the 12th amongst our year group (year 11) because our teachers want to get us more interested in politics lol. so, every Thursday and friday, we've been going through some of the major partys' (the top five on the poll) manifestos and having class debates on what we think of them. it's actually been quite interesting - i didn't know so many trees are pledged to be planted lol

anyway though, i was asking around to see what people are voting and it's basically all labour and then quite a bunch of green party's and that's it (save one person voting the Brexit party by themsleves) and i feel like it's been so fascinating to see how people form their political opinions, esp. the ones that aren't going to vote.

i would have said I'll update this thread after our own results come out, but i don't think it's gonna be much of a surprise haha
Out of interest when advocating Labour did anybody explain that their ‘free stuff’ involves substantially increasing the tax burden. Did anybody advocate the benefits of leaving the single market such as discriminating in favour of British business and substantial reductions in VAT. Did anybody quiz the Greens and highlight that there is no actual danger of ‘extinction’ and that the primary negative effects will be for the Africans.
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Out of interest when advocating Labour did anybody explain that their ‘free stuff’ involves substantially increasing the tax burden. Did anybody advocate the benefits of leaving the single market such as discriminating in favour of British business and substantial reductions in VAT. Did anybody quiz the Greens and highlight that there is no actual danger of ‘extinction’ and that the primary negative effects will be for the Africans.
May I add that all the corporate tax increases that will be implemented will be passed on to the end users, i.e. all of us that buy stuff.
This is the problem with Mr Corbyn's giveaway budget, it sounds great but we will end up paying for it, or at least those of us that have to bear the burden of all these extra costs.
This alone is an argument against the lowering of the voting age because, unfortunately, most youths under that age do not truly understand or appreciate the cost of such policies.
desktopcooking
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Not in our class, I think the major consensus was conservatives are for the rich, we are not rich, therefore we should vote labour. There was a lot of 'for the many, not the few' repeated, and the people who didn't do their own research kind of just tagged along. A couple went 'it just seems a little unrealistic', but that was about it
In another class, I know there a really big discussion about higher taxes as well as the single market, but the people who were in favour of leaving the single market are on the whole choosing not to vote, so

No questions about the greens.

(Original post by ColinDent)
This alone is an argument against the lowering of the voting age because, unfortunately, most youths under that age do not truly understand or appreciate the cost of such policies.
What was really surprising, is that when we were asked about whether the voting age should be lowered, the majority of people said no: 16 year old's are too immature, can be too easily influenced to vote for whoever, if they weren't going to vote in the first place etc. Its kinda contradictory in itself since I think one of labour's current policies is to lower the voting age to 16.

Teachers aren't really saying anything, as they're not allowed(?)/don't want to share their political stances - they don't want to influence the vote at all. Also even though the teachers have pointed out where we can read the entire manifestos, there's been a lottt of misinformation going around, which is another reason I'm not too sure I agree with why lots of people in my year aren't choosing to vote
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Not in our class, I think the major consensus was conservatives are for the rich, we are not rich, therefore we should vote labour. There was a lot of 'for the many, not the few' repeated, and the people who didn't do their own research kind of just tagged along. A couple went 'it just seems a little unrealistic', but that was about it
In another class, I know there a really big discussion about higher taxes as well as the single market, but the people who were in favour of leaving the single market are on the whole choosing not to vote, so

What was really surprising, is that when we were asked about whether the voting age should be lowered, the majority of people said no: 16 year old's are too immature, can be too easily influenced to vote for whoever, if they weren't going to vote in the first place etc. Its kinda contradictory in itself since I think one of labour's current policies is to lower the voting age to 16.

Teachers aren't really saying anything, as they're not allowed(?)/don't want to share their political stances - they don't want to influence the vote at all. Also even though the teachers have pointed out where we can read the entire manifestos, there's been a lottt of misinformation going around, which is another reason I'm not too sure I agree with why lots of people in my year aren't choosing to vote
That's sad to find out but unfortunately the modern young are all too interested in virtue signalling.
drbluebox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think no party is perfect so its more about who you believe in most, I won't say whom I am voting for because in thet past I get stereotypes about the party told to me.But I will say for Labour and the Tories that Tories I dislike due to their stance on the poor, Labour wants the student and the youth vote by offering them freebies.I had a similar feeling about brexit, either way we were screwed.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by drbluebox)
I think no party is perfect so its more about who you believe in most, I won't say whom I am voting for because in thet past I get stereotypes about the party told to me.But I will say for Labour and the Tories that Tories I dislike due to their stance on the poor, Labour wants the student and the youth vote by offering them freebies.I had a similar feeling about brexit, either way we were screwed.
What is the Tories stance on the poor according to your class?

Did anybody point out the continued increase in the minimum wage or that the tax threshold for the working poor has about doubled.
drbluebox
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What is the Tories stance on the poor according to your class?

Did anybody point out the continued increase in the minimum wage or that the tax threshold for the working poor has about doubled.
Its more than a stance, but to let you know about myself personally. Back when they first came back into power I was meant to start a course with a guaranteed job, the Tories cut the funding to it deciding it cost too much which is stupid as the cost of the course would of paid for itself within 6-12 months of me starting work.

A debate can go on forever as any positives really can be countered in some way (but I am bad at it, I have autism for one) for the minimum wage thing though as soon as that went up I know local places that fired staff to cover the costs and/or increased workloads the money has to come from somewhere.

Cuts would of occured from any party as none really do deep down what they promise, all just hit the genuine people and the troublemakers play the system.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

At least you are engaging with the matter which is important.
As I stated before though, all this ideology is great when you're not the ones paying for it and trust me, when you get out into the big bad world and have to look after a family or pay a mortgage/rent then for the majority of us our opinions do change, it's a natural progression.
drbluebox
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
At least you are engaging with the matter which is important.
As I stated before though, all this ideology is great when you're not the ones paying for it and trust me, when you get out into the big bad world and have to look after a family or pay a mortgage/rent then for the majority of us our opinions do change, it's a natural progression.
Someone once told me, that when someone is young they vote labour, when they start having a family/get a mortgage they vote Tory.

I quite well believe it.

Me I just as stated believe its a no win scenario, in a ideal world all the wasted money would go to where its needed and that would cover a large amount if not all of the problems the UK has had, I mean due to H+S in many companies even the NHS staff just can't replace a bulb they call in contractors which costs about £200 if I remember correct.

And local councils have a spend money or lose it situtation which means services get cut whilst other parts have more than they can spend!
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by drbluebox)
Someone once told me, that when someone is young they vote labour, when they start having a family/get a mortgage they vote Tory.

I quite well believe it.

Me I just as stated believe its a no win scenario, in a ideal world all the wasted money would go to where its needed and that would cover a large amount if not all of the problems the UK has had, I mean due to H+S in many companies even the NHS staff just can't replace a bulb they call in contractors which costs about £200 if I remember correct.

And local councils have a spend money or lose it situtation which means services get cut whilst other parts have more than they can spend!
Oh yes, the most important thing to remember is that they all want to **** us over.
All politicians will lie to us to get our vote, actually I will change that to most because there are a few out there that care about the job and not the status, and believe it or not they include politicians of every party.
But a good starting point would be to not believe a word that comes out of any single politicians mouths and follow what you believe to be right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?