The Student Room Group

Leaving Accomodation Early

Hello.
I would like to leave accomodation early, due to my grandmother's illness. She will be moving in with us and I will be needed to help look after her. Unfortunately, after emailing my accomodation office they did not consider this to be a viable reason to terminate my contract. It does say in the T&Cs that they will only release you if: 1. You are withdrawing from University 2. It will not cause financial loss to the University.
Is there anything else I could do, I am quite desperate to move back home and commute to University.
They've said I would need to find a replacement and that they've put my name on a list, if they're struggling for availability I will be able to move out.
Any help/ideas? Thanks in Advance.
Original post by karolbia
Hello.
I would like to leave accomodation early, due to my grandmother's illness. She will be moving in with us and I will be needed to help look after her. Unfortunately, after emailing my accomodation office they did not consider this to be a viable reason to terminate my contract. It does say in the T&Cs that they will only release you if: 1. You are withdrawing from University 2. It will not cause financial loss to the University.
Is there anything else I could do, I am quite desperate to move back home and commute to University.
They've said I would need to find a replacement and that they've put my name on a list, if they're struggling for availability I will be able to move out.

As there's nothing in your tenancy agreement that allows you to break it, then you'll need to work hard to find a replacement tenant. Advertise on as many sites/locations as possible: GumTree, SpareRoom, university Facebook groups, posters stuck around campus etc.
Hello.

Uni seem to be being a lot more reasonable than most. Find a replacement and see if any students are starting in Jan, some courses like social work or teaching or nursing can have Jan starts. Your reason on the scale of reasons doesnt sound to be the strongest.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Uni seem to be being a lot more reasonable than most. Find a replacement and see if any students are starting in Jan, some courses like social work or teaching or nursing can have Jan starts. Your reason on the scale of reasons doesnt sound to be the strongest.

Having a really poorly grandmother that is moving in with my family and will need looking after isn’t a valid reason. I’m already really stressed about it and is affecting my studies.
Having a really poorly grandmother that is moving in with my family and will need looking after isn’t a valid reason. I’m already really stressed about it and is affecting my studies.

Go and see the GP and get medically cleared, but imo they only act when you leave uni and even then many will not. All depends on the uni and by your description they have been fairer than most.
You will need to make out why its you and grandmother but no one else, when appeals such as this are more relevant if its a parent wife or child.

Quick Reply

Latest