The Student Room Group

Police in India gun down rape suspects

Is it just me or does the polices excuse seem more than a bit flimsy here? Then again given the crime i doubt many tears will be shed here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-50682262
Brutal rapes, groping and sexual harassment are too frequent across much of india.
With victims of all ages, professions, castes, wealth levels and religious preferences.
But so are false claims spread in bad faith solely for the purpose of stirring up ill feelings against particular groups of indian men for sectarian or personal reasons.
Often resulting in street lynchings, suspicious suicides in prison awaiting trial or police shootings.

The authorities have turned a blind eye or sought to automatically dismiss complainant claims for far too long.
Fuelling a widespread sense of being above the law amongst the most brazen habitual offenders and claims by many women that sexual assaults upon women are endemic within indian society.
But over recent years, the authorities seem to alternate between harsh court ordered punishment of convicted rapists, extra judicial killings of alleged rapists and no punishment of rape suspects at all.
The latter two are far from great precedents.
(edited 4 years ago)
however they were just accused, not yet found guilty so they could have been innocent. although I think the chances of them being innocent was very slim. but just a thought.
If they were actually guilty then this is true justice.
if they attacked the officers and tried to flee then they only have themselves to blame.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending