The Student Room Group

Can I appeal a rejected application?

I just got a rejection email from Nottingham, and I have a gut feeling they rejected me on the basis I’ve spent more than two years doing a levels. The thing is, I have extenuating circumstances as to why this is the case.

Another university requested information about this and when I submitted it, they accept my circumstance and are still looking through my application like normal.

I thought Nottingham would send a similar email asking for info, but they never did,

I was hoping if they could review my application with information provided and medical discharge forms etc shown (my circumstances were a bit serious).

Is this possible?
Original post by Hallowkin
I just got a rejection email from Nottingham, and I have a gut feeling they rejected me on the basis I’ve spent more than two years doing a levels. The thing is, I have extenuating circumstances as to why this is the case.

Another university requested information about this and when I submitted it, they accept my circumstance and are still looking through my application like normal.

I thought Nottingham would send a similar email asking for info, but they never did,

I was hoping if they could review my application with information provided and medical discharge forms etc shown (my circumstances were a bit serious).

Is this possible?

Did you make Nottingham aware of these circumstances at the time you applied for the course?

Academic decisions, including those on who to admit, cannot be challenged or appealed.
Original post by Reality Check
Did you make Nottingham aware of these circumstances at the time you applied for the course?

Academic decisions, including those on who to admit, cannot be challenged or appealed.

When I spoke to my tutor, she assured me that she would include relevant information in my reference and that I did not need to worry about needing to take more than two years to do my a levels.

I recently discovered that universities process the application in parts, so Nottingham May have not even looked at my reference, just grades and years, before rejecting me.

The university that did request information directly from me told me this.
When I spoke to my tutor, she assured me that she would include relevant information in my reference and that I did not need to worry about needing to take more than two years to do my a levels.

I recently discovered that universities process the application in parts, so Nottingham May have not even looked at my reference, just grades and years, before rejecting me.

The university that did request information directly from me told me this.

You can enquire then as to whether the extenuating circumstances were received and taken into consideration. If they were, which they probably were, then there is no further right to appeal as this would be questioning an academic decision, rather than a 'process' decision.
Academic decisions can’t be appealed, if they’ve followed their process then that’s generally it I’m afraid.

You can certainly request feedback and also let them know directly about your circumstances, (you should have sought to do this in the first instance via their mitigating / extenuating circumstance process, rather than assuming they would get in touch).

Two things to bear in mind:

- They’re not obliged to revisit your application.
- Even if they knew your circumstances the first time around, they’re not obliged to accept them if they only want to consider results from one sitting or two academic years. That’s their prerogative so long as they’re doing the same for everybody.

That said, I hope they might be able to look at your app again.

Is this possible?

Nottingham recieves alot of applications, don't feel bad...my m8 actually got rejected from Nottingham and I got accepted. We both now are 3rd year's at Nottingham. You can get in through clearing if you meet the requirements for most courses. Which course was it? Notts has plently of places in clearing as it has alot of capacity. But it also has to reject quite a few if Nottingham is your dream uni, you can still make it here. But i wouldn't waste much time trying to appeal, it won't get you anywhere. Academic admissions decisions are totally at the whim of admissions tutors.

It can be very random,

For example my m8 who I just eluded to applied for the same course as me with higher predictions and was rejected (though I did try and write my personal statement directly to Nottingham which may have helped). His appeal didn't work either. Only got in through clearing.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6

Is this possible?

Was there anything on their entry requirements that stated you had to sit your exams within 2yrs? It may be other factors, such as suitability for the course, but you won't know unless you ask for feedback. I have friends currently studying there from my sixth form that took 3yrs (no extenuating circumstances, they've just failed some of their A2 exams), and one who took 4yrs due to circumstances (but has never disclosed it).
Original post by kkboyk
Was there anything on their entry requirements that stated you had to sit your exams within 2yrs? It may be other factors, such as suitability for the course, but you won't know unless you ask for feedback. I have friends currently studying there from my sixth form that took 3yrs (no extenuating circumstances, they've just failed some of their A2 exams), and one who took 4yrs due to circumstances (but has never disclosed it).

I got into an oversubscribed course, after doing a foundation year... Being 26...Nottingham is definitely not a discriminatory university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending