The Student Room Group

Geography personal statement

Hey guys, I know this may seem a little last minute for applying through UCAS but I was seriously confused about where to apply and what course to apply for but I’ve decided on Geography.
I’m kinda lost and unsure what to write about in my PS. Some people told me to pick a subject I’m most interested in like climate change or tourism and show your devotion to it by including books/podcasts/articles and experiences (volunteering/ traveling) you had that relate to it. But I don’t have many of these to add that clearly relate to a specific subject. What I love truly about geography is how broad it is and my pst experiences reflect how broad my interests are, but I’m concerned it makes me look “all over the place”. I’m wondering if I should mention attending conferences (MUN, National Geographic Summit and Websummit) and work experience that seems sort of irrelevant like working part time at a restaurant, an internship at the zoo, an internship at a travel agency (managing their social media) and one at a luxury hotel in the food and beverage sector.
I’m also not sure about doing a BA or a BS in Geography. Does anyone know if I can start a BS and change to a BA later on? Or have a mix of both by picking various modules? Any ideas? Thanks guys!
Original post by brunacamargo
Hey guys, I know this may seem a little last minute for applying through UCAS but I was seriously confused about where to apply and what course to apply for but I’ve decided on Geography.
I’m kinda lost and unsure what to write about in my PS. Some people told me to pick a subject I’m most interested in like climate change or tourism and show your devotion to it by including books/podcasts/articles and experiences (volunteering/ traveling) you had that relate to it. But I don’t have many of these to add that clearly relate to a specific subject. What I love truly about geography is how broad it is and my pst experiences reflect how broad my interests are, but I’m concerned it makes me look “all over the place”. The admissions tutors will know you can't talk about everything you are interested in - just talk about some things. Quality is more important than quantity I’m wondering if I should mention attending conferences (MUN, National Geographic Summit and Websummit) are they relevant to geography? and work experience that seems sort of irrelevant like working part time at a restaurant, an internship at the zoo, an internship at a travel agency (managing their social media) and one at a luxury hotel in the food and beverage sector. You can mention irrelevant work experience, but you don't need more than a sentence on them
I’m also not sure about doing a BA or a BS in Geography. Does anyone know if I can start a BS and change to a BA later on? Or have a mix of both by picking various modules? Any ideas? Thanks guys! No idea I'm afraid

I've made some comments in bold :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending