Bilawit17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys

Struggling to decide between Univeristy of Newcastle or Birmingham. Newcastle univeristy does Economics and Finance where as Birmingham does Accounting and Finance. I don’t know which course is better for me I’m more focused on finance then anything and want to hopefully be an actuary.

Advantage of Birmingham is its much closer to home (I live down south) and from what I’ve heard it’s a more respected Uni (correct me if I’m wrong).

Advantage of Newcastle is I can do a work placement or study abroad which Birmingham doesn’t offer and it’s suppose to be a better city nightlife wise (again correct me if I’m wrong please)

Just wanted help deciding and wondering whether I’m likely to get reduced offers from either. Have good GCSE grades and A level target is A*AA in Psychology, Maths and Chemistry respectively. Any help or info is appreciated.

Thank you
Abdulkarim sawe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Newcastle will be good for you
Bilawit17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abdulkarim sawe)
Newcastle will be good for you
Thank you do you go there? If so how is it? And is it a big advantage to have the opportunity to study abroad or a work placement?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’d check the courses. The finance taught in accounting and finance tends to be very different to that in economics and finance courses. I’d doubt an a+f degree would be sufficiently numerate for actuarial jobs.
Bilawit17
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
I’d check the courses. The finance taught in accounting and finance tends to be very different to that in economics and finance courses. I’d doubt an a+f degree would be sufficiently numerate for actuarial jobs.
Thanks for the response I’ve heard some people say an accounting and finance degree is not as respect or highly regarded as economics and finance, is this true? Does a degree in economics and finance unlock more job opportunities?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bilawit17)
Thanks for the response I’ve heard some people say an accounting and finance degree is not as respect or highly regarded as economics and finance, is this true? Does a degree in economics and finance unlock more job opportunities?
I'm not sure that overall one is more regarded than the other. More numerate degrees tend to have greater market value and expose you to a wider range of job opportunities. The top economics degrees for example are very maths heavy - that is where much of the value is,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
17.71%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (27)
28.13%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (9)
9.38%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (10)
10.42%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
5.21%
I think it's an unfair expectation (26)
27.08%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2.08%

Watched Threads