Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just found out I am not entitled to any JSA. This is a warning to anyone graduating and living with a partner who is working.

JSA comes in 2 forms:
    1. Contribution based
    2. Income based

You are not entitled to Income based JSA if you have a partner working more than 24 hours a week.

You are not entitled to Contribution based JSA if you have not paid any National Insurance within the 2 years before your claim, there is also a minimum amount you must have paid. So any a full time student, unless employed and paying NI during uni, is going to get no contribution based JSA.

The system actually works out that if my partner became unemployed (from her £15k job) we would be better off with living off the benefits system. Not that we would ever want to do that, but you can see why people choose a life of benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matureunihater)
    Just found out I am not entitled to any JSA. This is a warning to anyone graduating and living with a partner who is working.

JSA comes in 2 forms:
    1. Contribution based
    2. Income based

You are not entitled to Income based JSA if you have a partner working more than 24 hours a week.

You are not entitled to Contribution based JSA if you have not paid any National Insurance within the 2 years before your claim, there is also a minimum amount you must have paid. So any a full time student, unless employed and paying NI during uni, is going to get no contribution based JSA.

The system actually works out that if my partner became unemployed (from her £15k job) we would be better off with living off the benefits system. Not that we would ever want to do that, but you can see why people choose a life of benefits.

A frustrating situation, certainly. My respect to you for continuing along the more difficult path; you know, though, that it will prove to be the more fruitful one.

We'll not have a Labour government for much longer, anyway, I feel. This scenario with benefits willl probably change with the Tories.

Edit: I do think this is particularly unfair, because of course, with certain degrees, jobs don't just walk up to graduates and announce themselves - they need to be sought. The same goes for vocational degrees, for which there sometimes just aren't any vacancies upon graduation.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with your last comment. If often works out that if both parties are unemployed, you're in a better situation financially. And then people wonder why those on benefits make no effort to get jobs - Because they're richer now!

ReputationRep:
    what was even more annoying is that, I have had several points of contact with the benefits people and no mention of this, until I managed to contact a benefits person on another forum:

1. i filled in an online form for the the intial claim, no mention of non-entitlement, even though the form asked for my partners income and took details of my NI number

2. I then had to phone up the benefits office to complete the claim, which involved answering all the same questions from the online form, so part 1 was a complete waste of my time, and again no mention of non-entitlement,

3. they have now arranged for me to go into the job centre to complete my claim, which is an absolute waste of my time, again no mention of non-entitlement,

and finally we do get some Local Housing Allowance (formerly housing benefit), but this is a pitiful amount and doesn't go anywhere near to covering my portion of the rent, if i was single living on my own it would pay all my rent,
    any JSA claim would have reduced our LHA by the same amount,

so I would be just going from one benefits system to another, how bureaucratic can they get, totally inefficient, can't inform people at the point of contact and then go on to waste their time,

this also shows that a lot of graduates do not contribute to the unemployed statistics the labour government go on about as being low,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    I totally agree with your last comment. If often works out that if both parties are unemployed, you're in a better situation financially. And then people wonder why those on benefits make no effort to get jobs - Because they're richer now!
    heh so much for Gordon Brown's claims that he was going to put an end to this!!

ReputationRep:
    Well surely its then an incentive to ACTUALLY GET A JOB??? Ppl moan people very easily get benefits well this shows the system working and the only reason you would be better off, is cos your partner is on a very lowage 15k and you are on no wage, so of course you would be better off!

I understand u have just graduated and are looking for a job, but you are in a minority as most will still be living with parents. JSA has also stayed at a low figure of £40 something which is NO INCENTIVE not to work as it works out to about £2000 per yr!

ReputationRep:
    Yup. I was unemployed for a couple of weeks last year after returning from travelling and my partner's student loan was counted as income (as his course was longer than mine so he was still studying). If I hadn't found work as quickly as I did, we would have been in a lot of trouble financially. That is a real scandal. You can expect a waged partner to support you, but someone whose income is solely a student loan of about £4500 a year? Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    This is really quite scary - looks like I will have to try and avoid living with my partner in the few months in which I will be job seeking. I have paid NI for years though as I've done a placement away from uni and had a part-time job, any ideas how much the JSA is in those sorts of cases?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wendizzle22)
    This is really quite scary - looks like I will have to try and avoid living with my partner in the few months in which I will be job seeking. I have paid NI for years though as I've done a placement away from uni and had a part-time job, any ideas how much the JSA is in those sorts of cases?
    I think you need to have 6 months worth of substanital contributions (just so you know). It'll be ~£50 a week. I strongly advise doing all in your power not to have to resort to it.
    If you live at home, you get this pretty much guaranteed because you're single. (The fact you'll probably not have to be paying the full whack for rent, council tax, gas, water, electricity, internet, phone, food etc is neither here nor there!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    A frustrating situation, certainly. My respect to you for continuing along the more difficult path; you know, though, that it will prove to be the more fruitful one.

We'll not have a Labour government for much longer, anyway, I feel. This scenario with benefits willl probably change with the Tories.

Edit: I do think this is particularly unfair, because of course, with certain degrees, jobs don't just walk up to graduates and announce themselves - they need to be sought. The same goes for vocational degrees, for which there sometimes just aren't any vacancies upon graduation.
    GREETINGS FROM THE FUTURE

The year is 2013, we have a Conservative / Liberal government...

and things are still the same !!!

Today I found out that my Job seeker allowance had been stopped and my claim closed.

WHY ? ... because they " suspected " that I was sharing my a house with my "

girlfriend / partner " ... who is actually only my flatmate.

Let me just explain the word " suspected: Believe or feel that (someone) is guilty

of an illegal, dishonest, or unpleasant act, without certain proof. "

This is just plain wrong and has made me furious. This kind of behavior inspires

utter contempt and hatred for our social system. It makes me not want to work. I

feel that anytime I've ever needed some help to get back on my feet - I've had to

beg for it and jump through hoops .. and then perhaps after all that I receive no

money or help to get back into work.

It just so happens the week that they decide to close my claim down and stop my

money is the week when my life was just starting to look up, I had received a great

offer for work based training - unpaid, but the guarantee of a job after. Thing is,

the deal states that I will be funded and still paid by my Job seekers allowance.

As you can see, my great opportunity is ruined and I feel so disillusioned I just

want to stand back and watch this country burn. I hate it, I hate this damn system.

Get a job, get low wage, pay big tax, pay big council tax, pay national insurance,

pay EXTREMELY HIGH ENERGY bills... and then hope and pray that one day.. IF.. you

get ill or lose your job, you might get the help you paid all those HIGH TAXES for -

but thing is, I know all ready that help is not there.

...so what is the point of it all ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamdavid)
    GREETINGS FROM THE FUTURE

The year is 2013, we have a Conservative / Liberal government...

and things are still the same !!!

Today I found out that my Job seeker allowance had been stopped and my claim closed.

WHY ? ... because they " suspected " that I was sharing my a house with my "

girlfriend / partner " ... who is actually only my flatmate.

Let me just explain the word " suspected: Believe or feel that (someone) is guilty

of an illegal, dishonest, or unpleasant act, without certain proof. "

This is just plain wrong and has made me furious. This kind of behavior inspires

utter contempt and hatred for our social system. It makes me not want to work. I

feel that anytime I've ever needed some help to get back on my feet - I've had to

beg for it and jump through hoops .. and then perhaps after all that I receive no

money or help to get back into work.

It just so happens the week that they decide to close my claim down and stop my

money is the week when my life was just starting to look up, I had received a great

offer for work based training - unpaid, but the guarantee of a job after. Thing is,

the deal states that I will be funded and still paid by my Job seekers allowance.

As you can see, my great opportunity is ruined and I feel so disillusioned I just

want to stand back and watch this country burn. I hate it, I hate this damn system.

Get a job, get low wage, pay big tax, pay big council tax, pay national insurance,

pay EXTREMELY HIGH ENERGY bills... and then hope and pray that one day.. IF.. you

get ill or lose your job, you might get the help you paid all those HIGH TAXES for -

but thing is, I know all ready that help is not there.

...so what is the point of it all ?

I'd appeal. They have no evidence your flatemate is your partner. Do you pay rent? Long as you pay rent you can prove you're a proper tenant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matureunihater)

JSA comes in 2 forms:
    1. Contribution based
    2. Income based

This is why you'd never ever disclose the fact you're living with a partner. Honesty gets you no where when you're claiming benefits. Either pretend you're living on your own or with a live in landlord.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firaWhoops)
    This is why you'd never ever disclose the fact you're living with a partner. Honesty gets you no where when you're claiming benefits. Either pretend you're living on your own or with a live in landlord.
    Yet once they find then it only get's worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Well surely its then an incentive to ACTUALLY GET A JOB??? Ppl moan people very easily get benefits well this shows the system working and the only reason you would be better off, is cos your partner is on a very lowage 15k and you are on no wage, so of course you would be better off!

I understand u have just graduated and are looking for a job, but you are in a minority as most will still be living with parents. JSA has also stayed at a low figure of £40 something which is NO INCENTIVE not to work as it works out to about £2000 per yr!
    Please don't tell me that you're foolish enough to believe that the only factor holding OP back from getting a job is lack of incentive.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.