lexieee.m
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm really struggling with my gcse English, any general tips or advice on how to improve my writing?
Alex423
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That completely depends, are you talking about English language or literature?
Alex423
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Because they are completely different, and need two different writing styles
lexieee.m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alex423)
Because they are completely different, and need two different writing styles
both, literally any help or advice would be appreciated
Alex423
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Okay, so im really bad at English language, but in English lit essays, some key points to focus on are:

- ALWAYS ANSWER AND LINK BACK TO THE QUESTION - never go on a complete tangent and forget you are supposed to answer the question and nothing but the question, and link back to it constantly.

- Get in as many quotes as possible, and embed them so that your sentences read smoothly.

- Analysis is important, but don't overdo it, and make sure the analysis is relevant.

- Make sure your conclusions are good, as this is the last thing your teacher/examiner reads, so it will give them a good/bad overall impression of you.

- Get in a thesis statement in your introduction, which basically answers the questions in a few lines.

- Always give reasons for why a writer has used certain techniques, eg. Shakespeare uses a .......... in order to convey ........

-Finally, try to plan your essay before, and get some paragraph ideas before you start writing.
Alex423
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hope this helps
eleanorc2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
with english language- many people say don’t revise but i would 100% day revise. Revise how to answer the questions, do example questions and papers, if you have to write a story for your exam (depending on the exam board) practice your story or have 2 stories to any of the 2 can fit to any title. SPaG is so important, make sure you know how to use your punctuation properly so you don’t loose marks due to SPaG

with english literature- make sure you know your books and plays inside and out; knowing who the characters are, how they add to the storyline. quotes are so so important when getting those marks for your exam. Planning your essays and questions are important so know how to answer them. Once again, practice how to answer the questions through videos. Do practice papers so you are familiar with the paper. For your poems, make sure you know what the poem is about, the story behind it, the techniques used, the mood of the poem. look how the lines are placed, sometimes in certain poems, the lines can show the pace of the poem which can show you the mood of the poem whether it’s happy or sad or any other mood. Tone is so important too. Using these things will get you your marks

For both exams- priorities your time, if your teacher hasn’t told you how long to spend on certain things, ask because this can really help when writing and making sure you answer everything and making sure your don’t run out of time and get stressed.

youtubers i watched- stacey Raey, mr bruff

good luck and @me if you need any other tips on subjects. i do have a study account on instagram with tips on how to revise and notes it’s- studywith.el ❤️
Anita0211
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey, I'm currently in Year 12, having got an 8 in Langauge and 7 in Lit last year. Although I had a tutor, I can give you a couple of tips on this. So, for Lit, your teachers may be teaching you a set structure to follow... you don't have to stick to it! I was told to use PEEL and, although this includes the essentials you need in your essay, it's not necessarily going to get you the top grades. I'd say as long as you have a point and a quote you can analyse, the rest can be practically waffle. Show the examiners that you're passionate about what you're talking about (or fake it till you make it) and that you can go really deep into whatever you're analysing. In terms of lan, sort out your structures for each question, watch lots of Mr Bruff and Stacey Reay and keep linking back to the story and the question. For the creative section, think of a structure during your mocks that includes lots of language features and structural features especially. If this mock gets a good mark, use a similar structure in your actual exam! Obviously you'd have to adapt it to whatever the question is, but if keep the order of devices the same. E.g. mine started and ended with the same sentence, and the second paragraph was a description using the 5 senses, the third - a flashback etc. This way, you'll have a game-plan ready and it'll save you that much stress in the exam. I hope this helps, let me know if there's anything else. Use your time wisely, but remember, GCSE's aren't the end of the world. You'll be amazing, I believe in all of you!
lexieee.m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anita0211)
Hey, I'm currently in Year 12, having got an 8 in Langauge and 7 in Lit last year. Although I had a tutor, I can give you a couple of tips on this. So, for Lit, your teachers may be teaching you a set structure to follow... you don't have to stick to it! I was told to use PEEL and, although this includes the essentials you need in your essay, it's not necessarily going to get you the top grades. I'd say as long as you have a point and a quote you can analyse, the rest can be practically waffle. Show the examiners that you're passionate about what you're talking about (or fake it till you make it) and that you can go really deep into whatever you're analysing. In terms of lan, sort out your structures for each question, watch lots of Mr Bruff and Stacey Reay and keep linking back to the story and the question. For the creative section, think of a structure during your mocks that includes lots of language features and structural features especially. If this mock gets a good mark, use a similar structure in your actual exam! Obviously you'd have to adapt it to whatever the question is, but if keep the order of devices the same. E.g. mine started and ended with the same sentence, and the second paragraph was a description using the 5 senses, the third - a flashback etc. This way, you'll have a game-plan ready and it'll save you that much stress in the exam. I hope this helps, let me know if there's anything else. Use your time wisely, but remember, GCSE's aren't the end of the world. You'll be amazing, I believe in all of you!
Thank you so much! This was so helpful x
lexieee.m
Rep:
?
(Original post by eleanorc2003)
with english language- many people say don’t revise but i would 100% day revise. Revise how to answer the questions, do example questions and papers, if you have to write a story for your exam (depending on the exam board) practice your story or have 2 stories to any of the 2 can fit to any title. SPaG is so important, make sure you know how to use your punctuation properly so you don’t loose marks due to SPaG

with english literature- make sure you know your books and plays inside and out; knowing who the characters are, how they add to the storyline. quotes are so so important when getting those marks for your exam. Planning your essays and questions are important so know how to answer them. Once again, practice how to answer the questions through videos. Do practice papers so you are familiar with the paper. For your poems, make sure you know what the poem is about, the story behind it, the techniques used, the mood of the poem. look how the lines are placed, sometimes in certain poems, the lines can show the pace of the poem which can show you the mood of the poem whether it’s happy or sad or any other mood. Tone is so important too. Using these things will get you your marks

For both exams- priorities your time, if your teacher hasn’t told you how long to spend on certain things, ask because this can really help when writing and making sure you answer everything and making sure your don’t run out of time and get stressed.

youtubers i watched- stacey Raey, mr bruff

good luck and @me if you need any other tips on subjects. i do have a study account on instagram with tips on how to revise and notes it’s- studywith.el ❤️
thank you so much, I will definitely take a look at the youtubers and your insta x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (293)
65.55%
No (154)
34.45%

Watched Threads