The Student Room Group

plastic/flight shaming, water (over)use...what are your eco-priorities?

How do you prioritise your personal environmental "footprint" ?

Which of the options is the most urgent and serious issue? water-scarcity or plastic overuse, or frequent flights?

please add your own eco-priority if it is not already stated here
Plastic overuse.
I have to take frequent flights, drink a lot of water and grow some of my own veg&herbs.
I'm also concerned about the presence of parabens, carcinogens and endocrine hormone disruptors in my makeup & skincare products.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Plastic overuse.
I have to take frequent flights, drink a lot of water and grow some of my own veg&herbs.
I'm also concerned about the presence of parabens, carcinogens and endocrine hormone disruptors in my makeup & skincare products.

I think it's water leaks/overuse that cause water scarcity although perhaps not in the UK as we don't really have any industry here (e.g. cotton production and clothes dye uses a lot of water) and it only affects the south (apparently the chalk streams are all dried up, which kills fish and wildlife etc). Your garden is probably quite thirsty but it does the local ecology and soil a lot of good probably

can you see anyone making much progress with plastic overuse or do you feel that you're the only one making much difference?
Original post by errrr99
I think it's water leaks/overuse that cause water scarcity although perhaps not in the UK as we don't really have any industry here (e.g. cotton production and clothes dye uses a lot of water) and it only affects the south (apparently the chalk streams are all dried up, which kills fish and wildlife etc). Your garden is probably quite thirsty but it does the local ecology and soil a lot of good probably

can you see anyone making much progress with plastic overuse or do you feel that you're the only one making much difference?

I think that people will restrict their plastic consumption but for personal health rather than ecological reasons.
So many people talk about being concerned about all the chemicals, manufacturing processes and long term health effects of using lots of plastic in their day to day lives.

Quick Reply

Latest