Nousername2431
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So little over 2 months ago I applied for a part time job, it said so on my CV too that I was applying for a part time job not full time

My first week I worked 4 or five days and since then I’ve only had 1 day off a week. Maybe had an extra one thrown in but very rare. And for three weeks I was working 7 days a week because I have a second job on weekends (only had four weekends in this job since I started my new one) which isn’t as frequent, but my days off for my main job were to do my other job. And my boss knew that.

And I got really ill because I was working so much, had the bug one week (took two days off) then tonsillitis, ear infection and perforated ear drum all at once (no days off)

Also the place I applied for is closed one day a week but the boss owns two restaurants and for that one closed day he’s making me work in his second place. I’m the only one from my main place that goes up to the second place.

And on top of that, we get our rotas for the following week on the Friday, so I can’t even plan to do stuff. Because I don’t know when I’m off and I’m very tied down to just one day a week. I have no social life anymore.

Is it unreasonable for me to request two days off a week? Or at least every other week have two days off?

I’m on a zero hour contract and I only applied for a part time job in one place, but instead it’s basically full time in the two places. This is my first proper job And I’m only 18.
Help.
errrr99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
uunreasonable boss (just my opinion)
Nousername2431
Rep:
?
(Original post by errrr99)
uunreasonable boss (just my opinion)
So you don’t think it would be unreasonable to ask for a little more time off?
errrr99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I realise you're very busy but...is there any reason not to look around for another job?

Certainly you could ask for time off, but is there a chance that your boss is taking up all your time on purpose? if that might be the case, your boss would be able reduce your hours to zero if you ask for time off (or in fact for any whimsical reason). Could you face that possible outcome?

I am sorry if you have this type of boss (it is a common problem Zero hours contracts should be heavily penalised by the government)
Nousername2431
Rep:
?
I realise you're very busy but...is there any reason not to look around for another job?

Certainly you could ask for time off, but is there a chance that your boss is taking up all your time on purpose? if that might be the case, your boss would be able reduce your hours to zero if you ask for time off (or in fact for any whimsical reason). Could you face that possible outcome?

I am sorry if you have this type of boss (it is a common problem Zero hours contracts should be heavily penalised by the government)
I would look for another one but this job in terms of what it actually is, is ideal for me. It’s less that five minutes away, it’s small enough for me to cope with because I have anxiety and it’s not ridiculously busy either. It’s perfect, except for the fact that I rarely get a day off. He may be doing it on purpose because I think he knows I can’t say no to him.

I wanted to know if me feeling annoyed and run down all the time was is understandable. This is my first job and I feel like if I complain about it people will say “well this is working life”
errrr99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nousername2431)
I wanted to know if me feeling annoyed and run down all the time was is understandable.
absolutely understandable

I wonder if your boss works every single hour you work (some bosses do, e.g. Elon Musk!)
Nousername2431
Rep:
?

I wonder if your boss works every single hour you work (some bosses do, e.g. Elon Musk!)
He basically never works. He’s rarely down on the rota and when he is he says he’s doing paper work. When all he does in tbe office is watch youtube videos and watch sports. He asks staff how to do stuff around the place because he doesn’t know
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nousername2431)
I would look for another one but this job in terms of what it actually is, is ideal for me. It’s less that five minutes away, it’s small enough for me to cope with because I have anxiety and it’s not ridiculously busy either. It’s perfect, except for the fact that I rarely get a day off. He may be doing it on purpose because I think he knows I can’t say no to him.

I wanted to know if me feeling annoyed and run down all the time was is understandable. This is my first job and I feel like if I complain about it people will say “well this is working life”
You need to learn to say No. You are on a zero hours contract. Just say you are unavailable if you don't want to work. Sure the Boss will let you go if it gets to difficult for him to cover the work, but that's what you've got to judge - where the balance point is - because at the moment you are allowing him to get away with asking you to work all the time.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As hard as it is, you need to put your foot down. My last boss sounds similar to yours - once she realised I found it difficult to say "no" she used to take advantage of me and make me do extra work all the time. If you'd feel more comfortable giving a fake excuse than flat out saying "no" then make something plausible up, you've already got plans, you don't feel well (which I understand is legit in your case), you need to look after someone etc. They can't force you to work constantly on a zero hours contract if you don't want to work. That's your decision.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He's not necessarily unreasonable as it sounds like he doesn't have any idea you're actually unhappy. Most people want more hours rather than less! Just go talk to him about how many hours you want and see what he says. Some managers will be fine with it and some will kick off but at least you'll know where you stand!
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Good old elongated muskrat
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (141)
52.42%
No (128)
47.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise