Would you have been able to afford to go to uni if Government-backed loans weren't th Watch

EtonWorldDoppler
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It's all Tony Blair's fault.

I went to uni many years ago (under a decade ago) and graduated. I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford it. But the grades were achieved (anybody of average intelligence can achieve the grades) and there was the Student Loans Company (just received a loan statement confirming I owe 30 grand).

I'm thinking that if Government-backed student loans didn't exist, many people would have either not gone to uni or they would have worked for a year or two or three and then started uni later.

Would you have been able to go to uni/not gone at all?
Neurocandid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In all honesty they didn’t have to raise the fee to 9K in the first place. Certainly there would have been a means even though not particularly pleasant
EtonWorldDoppler
Rep:
?
(Original post by Neurocandid)
In all honesty they didn’t have to raise the fee to 9K in the first place. Certainly there would have been a means even though not particularly pleasant
But even before then. I myself started uni before the fee rises and if it hadn't been for the Government-backed student loans from. The Student Loans Company, I really wouldn't have been able to afford to go to uni at that point in time...
DoritoEvie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Absolutely not. I can't even get a loan now, so scholarships it is.. :-p
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Probably not, although I might be able to afford the fees if the lectures were arranged in such a way I could work full time around them
EtonWorldDoppler
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoritoEvie)
Absolutely not. I can't even get a loan now, so scholarships it is.. :-p
What do you mean you "can't even get a loan now"?

If I remember correctly, tuition fee loans are guaranteed, right, whatever the casei and is maintenance loans and grants which are income-based, no? Or is that no longer the case?
DoritoEvie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EtonWorldDoppler)
What do you mean you "can't even get a loan now"?

If I remember correctly, tuition fee loans are guaranteed, right, whatever the casei and is maintenance loans and grants which are income-based, no? Or is that no longer the case?
Well as an EU student I can't apply for a loan in the UK I'm pretty sure. You have to be a resident for 5 years or something beforehand so that you can, in my case unfortunately I've not been living here that long so I wasn't eligble.
Last edited by DoritoEvie; 1 month ago
EtonWorldDoppler
Rep:
?
Well as an EU student I can't apply for a loan in the UK I'm pretty sure. You have to be a resident for 5 years or something beforehand so that you can, in my case unfortunately I've not been living here that long so I wasn't eligble.
Oh, I see.
aleksveneva97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm pretty sure that's not true. I'm an EU student myself and applying for Masters for 20/21 entry. I've done my research and I can confirm you can apply for a government loan. Check the government website
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yep... just earn under 24k pa and they leave you alone. That is well quids in here!
williamho
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the tuition fee at GBP 9000 per year is downright disgusting. And I expect the fee will continue to go higher and higher in the near future.

By the time, the degree graduates leaves university. They will be burden with a large debt. Master Degree ? Very difficult.

Is this what the UK Government really wants ? Good quality graduates with a massive debt each?
Back to the old times, when the rich can afford education.
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The repayments are usually geared so it isn’t as much of a burden as traditional borrowing.

I still owe about 25k from 15yrs ago. I live quite comfortably but there’s no chance at all that I’ll repay it before I retire. I don’t worry about and I don’t even really think of it as a debt.

And to answer the original question, no chance I could have gone to Uni whatsoever without the student loan.
Alisha300
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
100% not!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (128)
52.89%
No (114)
47.11%

Watched Threads