Conditional offer - required grades higher than stated Watch

Scots2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As advised, I selected a range of Universities, 2 slightly above my grade, 2 on my grades and 1 below. I have had conditional offers from all the them however I was surprised that one of the Universities, Nottingham Trent had increased the entry requirements from an ABB to a AAB. I don't feel it's because of the A Levels that I am studying which are Biology, Geography and Psychology. I am really disappointed as Nottingham Trent was top of my list for many reasons. Now that they have increased the requirements, I feel the goal posts have moved and I have less choice. IS it worth going back to the University to speak to them about the offer?.
Isinglass
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does it say in the university literature that the requirement is ABB, or that the 'typical offer' is ABB?

You have nothing to lose by asking for clarification as to why your offer is higher than the stated (typical, if that is the way that it is described) offer, though.

Presumably you have checked that you are looking at the right year of entry (the course my daughter is on at Birmingham changed from ABB in 2018/19 to AAB for 2019 entry).
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There has been another thread on here about Nottingham Trent and Psychology. It appears that they have increased their grades this year. If it is within 14 days of your original application you can ring UCAS and change them for another choice.
Isinglass
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just did a quick search and just putting 'NTU Psychology' into Google initially returned the highest result of the 2019 entry course, requirements BBB for the 3 year course and ABB for the 4 year course with a placement. Specifying '2020' shows that the requirement has been increased to ABB / AAB, respectively.

If you were definitely looking at the correct set of requirements when you decided to apply there, I would contact the university and ask why you have been made an offer above that which was stated for the course.

(And yes, it is worded as, 'For entry in... you will need...', not, 'Our typical offer is...).
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Scots2)
As advised, I selected a range of Universities, 2 slightly above my grade, 2 on my grades and 1 below. I have had conditional offers from all the them however I was surprised that one of the Universities, Nottingham Trent had increased the entry requirements from an ABB to a AAB. I don't feel it's because of the A Levels that I am studying which are Biology, Geography and Psychology. I am really disappointed as Nottingham Trent was top of my list for many reasons. Now that they have increased the requirements, I feel the goal posts have moved and I have less choice. IS it worth going back to the University to speak to them about the offer?.
hmm not many people at Trent get AAB (if any). Im sceptical this is what they actually require and just put this down on UCAS.
I would check Unistats & which uni to see what grades students typically get who do the course. It seems unlikely to me that at a time when student numbers are dropping slightly Trent is now too oversubscribed and needs to increase admissions (most ex-poly unis are doing everything possible to increase numbers...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8
Scots2
Rep:
?
Thanks this is really good to know as I am still within the 14 days
(Original post by swanseajack1)
There has been another thread on here about Nottingham Trent and Psychology. It appears that they have increased their grades this year. If it is within 14 days of your original application you can ring UCAS and change them for another choice.
Scots2
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
hmm not many people at Trent get AAB (if any). Im sceptical this is what they actually require and just put this down on UCAS.
I would check Unistats & which uni to see what grades students typically get who do the course. It seems unlikely to me that at a time when student numbers are dropping slightly Trent is now too oversubscribed and needs to increase admissions (most ex-poly unis are doing everything possible to increase numbers...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8
Thanks for your reply. Where can I check the Uni stats to look at this
Scots2
Rep:
?
Thanks and I was a bit surprised with numbers down and increased places at Universities over the last few years.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your reply. Where can I check the Uni stats to look at this
so theres a website called: unistats (this will break down UCAS tariff scores) & one called: which (this will show you the most common A-level subjects taken & the average grades achieved, personally i think this is more useful as sometimes ucas tariffs can be misleading if people did different access courses which distribute the tariffs differently).

If you just google: Nottingham Trent SUBJECT which , it will pop up as one of the top links.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks and I was a bit surprised with numbers down and increased places at Universities over the last few years.
Numbers down is more of a population thing, there are just less 17/18/19 year olds atm then there was 5 years ago, and this coupled to the fact the government removed the cap on student numbers.
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Here is the thread I was referring to

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post86150130

I dont know whether Nottingham Trent has upped its grades due to its increased popularity or putting people off using it as an insurance choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (89)
13.01%
1 (89)
13.01%
2 (88)
12.87%
18.86%
22.37%
19.88%

Watched Threads