Second_Beauty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I’m a transfer to Ljmu university. I’m studying biochemistry. I’m looking for somewhat that can help me with a lab report format, an example or even an explanation of the layout. Lol something as a guide. I’m a bit anxious to ask my lecturers because I’m not looking for answers
tomlam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Having graduated from John Moores in a similar subject, I can help you with this.
1) Introduction - start with mentioning the importance of the experiment you've done. Read some papers and say how it's it'd in industry, how it is better than other methods etc. Also mention briefly some of the chemicals involved and what they are used for in other contexts, as your method could be useful in improving other chemical processes.
2) Method - This needs to be written in the passive past tense. E.g: 20 cm3 of 1.2 mmoldm-3 hcl was added to 40 cm3 of 3.2 moldm-3 naoh and stirred for 10 seconds.
3) Results - a table and a title explaining the results briefly will do. Compile graphs in excel and make sure you include the line of best fit and r squared value.
4) Discussion - can often be merged with the results (check first), refer explicitly to your results in the discussion and compare data points on the graph. Say what could have done better and explain any trends in your data. Refer to the science behind the results, discuss other methods and their pros and cons in this situation.
5) Conclusion - just summarise your discussion and introduction points.
Second_Beauty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by tomlam)
Having graduated from John Moores in a similar subject, I can help you with this.
1) Introduction - start with mentioning the importance of the experiment you've done. Read some papers and say how it's it'd in industry, how it is better than other methods etc. Also mention briefly some of the chemicals involved and what they are used for in other contexts, as your method could be useful in improving other chemical processes.
2) Method - This needs to be written in the passive past tense. E.g: 20 cm3 of 1.2 mmoldm-3 hcl was added to 40 cm3 of 3.2 moldm-3 naoh and stirred for 10 seconds.
3) Results - a table and a title explaining the results briefly will do. Compile graphs in excel and make sure you include the line of best fit and r squared value.
4) Discussion - can often be merged with the results (check first), refer explicitly to your results in the discussion and compare data points on the graph. Say what could have done better and explain any trends in your data. Refer to the science behind the results, discuss other methods and their pros and cons in this situation.
5) Conclusion - just summarise your discussion and introduction points.
Thank you so much for responding. Is there a specific format or is it okay once it has these titles and guidelines
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (98)
13.03%
1 (94)
12.5%
2 (94)
12.5%
19.28%
22.61%
20.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise