MrTaco
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Out of UCL, Birmingham and Nottingham, which of these is the best for Chemical Engineering. I have looked at the league tables and Birmingham is above the others however UCL is UCL and it has a reputation like nit other. Please give me some advice. Oh by the way I have received offers from each of these 3 so now need to decide which to Firm and which to choose as my Insurance.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well does UCL have a reputation for engineering specifically? Choosing a uni because of the name (or because of league tables!) is a decision you can easily regret.
If you've received offers, they'll probably invite you to offer-holder visit days. That'll give you more information and you could make a more informed decision after that.
Remember there's absolutely nothing to gain by rushing to decide your firm/insurance.

Also they're both very different kinds of universities, remember. UCL is right in central London, Birmingham is its own campus within the city, and Nottingham is definitely a campus uni - it's kind of off by itself. So yes the course should be a major factor but it's not everything.

Also have you seen how much the positions of those unis change on the subject tables? Last year Notts was 12th for chem eng, now it's 4th, UCL was once 13th, now it's 10th and once it was 6th. Who knows where they'll be next year, or the year after. That's why you shouldn't pay too close attention to league tables, let alone use it as a deciding factor.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 year ago
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've heard good things about Nottingham, in terms of syllabus being relevant to industry.
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I study chemical engineering at the University of Birmingham and personally would highly reccomend it, but Sinnoh is right it's important to get a feel for the 3 unis and choose the one that appeals most to you!

I'd agree that offer holder days are a great way to get a feel for the uni and choose which one you prefer!

In the mean time if you have any questions you'd like to ask a current UOB chem eng student, go ahead!

Thanks

Harry
MrTaco
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Smack)
I've heard good things about Nottingham, in terms of syllabus being relevant to industry.
Yeah so have I but the Graduate Prospects for Nottingham is lower than that of the other 2 (Birmingham and UCL)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (98)
5.06%
Uncertainty around my education (290)
14.97%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (205)
10.58%
Lack of purpose or motivation (271)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (85)
4.39%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (111)
5.73%
Loneliness (168)
8.67%
Financial worries (69)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.44%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.75%
Lack of real life entertainment (107)
5.52%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (170)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (185)
9.55%

Watched Threads