The Student Room Group

gcse English computer.

Hi. I have a legitimate hand problem so my school is suggesting i use a computer in the real gcse. It will not have a spellcheck or access to the internet and i believe there may be some sort of word count (but im not certain). my Question is: are examiners harsher towards people who use computers as im not very good at English (grade 4-5) but im a bit worried that examiners may be more discriminating and mark more severely.

thanks a lot
Original post by Kialo29
Hi. I have a legitimate hand problem so my school is suggesting i use a computer in the real gcse. It will not have a spellcheck or access to the internet and i believe there may be some sort of word count (but im not certain). my Question is: are examiners harsher towards people who use computers as im not very good at English (grade 4-5) but im a bit worried that examiners may be more discriminating and mark more severely.

thanks a lot

They won’t be harsher on you, they know students don’t have spell check on the computer.
Reply 2
Original post by Hazelly
They won’t be harsher on you, they know students don’t have spell check on the computer.

OK thanks. it was just a little pet peeve in my mind.
Original post by Kialo29
OK thanks. it was just a little pet peeve in my mind.

It shouldn’t cause any issues, good luck in your GCSEs :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hazelly
It shouldn’t cause any issues, good luck in your GCSEs :smile:

Thanks
Reply 5
Thousands of candidates use word processors in their GCSEs and it's fine - at least you know they won't have a problem reading your writing. (The rules state that you're only allowed a word processor in exams if you normally use one in class - have they given you one to use for the majority of the time?)
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
Thousands of candidates use word processors in their GCSEs and it's fine - at least you know they won't have a problem reading your writing. (The rules state that you're only allowed a word processor in exams if you normally use one in class - have they given you one to use for the majority of the time?)

Not currently. But after mocks I think I’ll start.

Quick Reply

Latest