Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I grew up half my life in Essex and the other half in Somerset (a rural, countryside area) and am quite sexually experimental and accepting; i.e playing with your arse does not make you gay, fancying men does. Sleeping with lots of people does not make you a slut, etc.

Anyway, I always thought until recently that people in the city would be less repressed than people in the country because people in the country may live a simpler way of life and be more affected by the church, etc, to have stronger sexual morals.

But reflecting on this one of my friends from Essex said he thinks sleeping with more than 3 women makes you a sleezebag and I spoke to two guys from Kent who ewww'd at me saying I'd had a threesome and then professed that putting a finger up your arse makes you gay.
    Furthermore, the amount of people who think like that in my friend group are far less and seem more sexually active and more experimental than people from the city i've spoken to.

Anyway, I don't think I can come to a conclusion because I don't think i've spoken to enough people about it, but what do you think? Which area is more sexually open?

ReputationRep:
    Going on Sex and the City, I'd say the city.
    I mean, it's right there in the title...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I can't really give a good reason for my feelings, but I'd be inclined to think people from the country were more sexually accepting and open. The country just seems like a more open and friendly environment in general to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howells)
    Going on Sex and the City, I'd say the city.
    I mean, it's right there in the title...
    of course people have sex in the city, but is it crazy crazy sex? :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the country, and I think the older generation is less accepting, but people around my age are very open-minded

I don't really think there'll be a strong trend for either area; it depends on a range of factors, including the environment you're in within the city/country. For example, I grew up in Essex, like you, but the majority of schools here are single sex, which presumably could create a fair amount of repression. If you compared that to an area in the countryside where the schools are more mixed, then you might find that the people there are much more open with regards to relationships, sexuality and so on, regardless of the fact they live in the countryside. It also could depend on how you were brought up; i.e. whether your parents were quite open about discussing sex with you, or whether you learned about it through other means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viirkokka)
    of course people have sex in the city, but is it crazy crazy sex? :P
    Well, if we're basing it on Sex and the City, then yes :p:

I'm not sure really, I've always assumed it would be people in the city, but that's probably not the case these days. Older generations in the country probably were more sexually repressed and influenced by church politics, but our generation is probably sexually liberal in both the country and the city.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.