The Student Room Group

Can another citys council help me if I am from London?

So I am planning on running away and as I am 16 I was told by childcare I will be given support. So say I run away to another city say Manchester, will I be supported by social services? Will I be treated unfairly as i am not from a white background?

Thank you
First question from me, is, why do you want to run away?
Yes. But they will probably involve the police who will want to know who you are and why you have ran away from home.
Original post by Joe Frazier
Yes. But they will probably involve the police who will want to know who you are and why you have ran away from home.

scary
Original post by MrMusician95
First question from me, is, why do you want to run away?

Too much emotional abuse, neglect, home schooled, made to sit A levels at 15 and GCSEs at 14. verbal abuse, denied medical treatment, denied access to therapist for mental health issues, denied access to people, not allowed to leave the house, not allowed to have friends, am told who I can talk to and what I can say. And now Im being taken outside of the country for good. Now... thats why...
Original post by ClayJensen817
Too much emotional abuse, neglect, home schooled, made to sit A levels at 15 and GCSEs at 14. verbal abuse, denied medical treatment, denied access to therapist for mental health issues, denied access to people, not allowed to leave the house, not allowed to have friends, am told who I can talk to and what I can say. And now Im being taken outside of the country for good. Now... thats why...

Is there a way for you to contact social services?
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Is there a way for you to contact social services?

Apart from email? no. My sim stopped woeking 2 months ago and my parents have done nothing about ut and said if I needed to contact them I should use whatsapp as I stay at home anyway.
Apart from email? no. My sim stopped woeking 2 months ago and my parents have done nothing about ut and said if I needed to contact them I should use whatsapp as I stay at home anyway.

Is online chat something you could do? Child Line offer a 1 to 1 counsellor chat on their website: https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/1-2-1-counsellor-chat/, and will contact the relevant authorities if you ask them to.
Is online chat something you could do? Child Line offer a 1 to 1 counsellor chat on their website: https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/1-2-1-counsellor-chat/, and will contact the relevant authorities if you ask them to.

I contacted them. They said contact social services
I contacted them. They said contact social services

The counsellor you're chatting to should do that for you if you use the live chat. See what they say.
The counsellor you're chatting to should do that for you if you use the live chat. See what they say.

I dont want them to come knocking on my door and I dont want to see my parents reaction. I dont want to negotiate or talk to my parents after they have the foggiest that I want to leave them.
I dont want them to come knocking on my door and I dont want to see my parents reaction. I dont want to negotiate or talk to my parents after they have the foggiest that I want to leave them.

Unfortunately, if your situation is that bad (and if confronting your parents could result in worse treatment), then the authorities turning up at your door is what it's come down to. If you don't feel safe to the extent that you want to run away from home, then you need to consider this option, which is probably a lot safer than running away to who knows where.
Unfortunately, if your situation is that bad (and if confronting your parents could result in worse treatment), then the authorities turning up at your door is what it's come down to. If you don't feel safe to the extent that you want to run away from home, then you need to consider this option, which is probably a lot safer than running away to who knows where.

I don't want them knocking on my door. I want to go to the authorities with my bags packed and I want them to keep me safe. can this happen?
I don't want them knocking on my door. I want to go to the authorities with my bags packed and I want them to keep me safe. can this happen?

You could go to a police station and report the abuse, but that wouldn't necessarily mean that your parents won't be contacted or told to come to the police station too. At best, a social worker would come to you at the station and you would be taken to a children's home/temporary foster care.
You could go to a police station and report the abuse, but that wouldn't necessarily mean that your parents won't be contacted or told to come to the police station too. At best, a social worker would come to you at the station and you would be taken to a children's home/temporary foster care.

I don't want to stay in London. I want to go to Manchester. I have someone there I can trust but can't live with them. They would give me the emotional support I need
I don't want to stay in London. I want to go to Manchester. I have someone there I can trust but can't live with them. They would give me the emotional support I need

I don't think you'd be able to choose where you go unless it's to another family member. Also, as you're 16, I'm not sure what the implications of your age would be as to how/what happens.
I don't think you'd be able to choose where you go unless it's to another family member. Also, as you're 16, I'm not sure what the implications of your age would be as to how/what happens.

What if I run away to Manchester first. And then contact social services?
What if I run away to Manchester first. And then contact social services?

Running away is very dangerous, so please be aware of the dangers before doing anything rash.

Take a look at this website: https://www.runawayhelpline.org.uk/stages-of-running/

Quick Reply

Latest