The Student Room Group

Admission rejected

hi, my daugther applied at 4 UNIS in scotland, for medecine. She received 3 replies . We are french, she choose a referee who don't speack english very well and he didn't give the predective grades asked by ucas on time. I told us about it, just after my daughter application get rejected. We didn't know at all that he would have to provide those grades, my daughter is on her last year of baccalauréat, and will pass her exams in june 2020. She passed the ielts with a score of 6 and UKAT
She wants to ask unis to reconsider her applications, i'm looking for samples and polite sentence she could write if someone could help please ))
You may want to take the universities for feedback into why but then expect the doors to be locked out forever or re-apply for the remaining university. Referee should have given predictive grades and they should have helped. You'll have to risk going in clearing when the time comes. That's the last resort.

Complain against the referee because it may have costed you if you wanted the service then or may have to deal with it as the time goes on.
Hi! I successfully appealed my UCL rejection a few years ago. Get feedback on the rejection to start with, and then go from there. Address the email to the admission tutor outlining your daughters strengths (obviously coming from her!) in light of the reasons she was rejected.

tbh though I've only ever heard of this successfully happening apart from me once on TSR (and I've been on here 10 years!)
Reply 3
Original post by rcmotorboy
You may want to take the universities for feedback into why but then expect the doors to be locked out forever or re-apply for the remaining university. Referee should have given predictive grades and they should have helped. You'll have to risk going in clearing when the time comes. That's the last resort.

Complain against the referee because it may have costed you if you wanted the service then or may have to deal with it as the time goes on.

yes, she wants to try a kind of "appeal", she is still waiting for the 4th reply, but we think it will be the same answer. What could she write on her letter ?
Original post by Noodlzzz
Hi! I successfully appealed my UCL rejection a few years ago. Get feedback on the rejection to start with, and then go from there. Address the email to the admission tutor outlining your daughters strengths (obviously coming from her!) in light of the reasons she was rejected.

tbh though I've only ever heard of this successfully happening apart from me once on TSR (and I've been on here 10 years!)

I've read about another rejection for medicine: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8709084/A-level-results-straight-A-student-rejected-by-universities.html

Unfortunately the telegraph website locked it with paywall, so i'll explain. This student was a straight A student and applied for four universities in hopes to study medicine and all four university rejected her.

On this topic, how the referee should have got the predictive grades until then, I would think it is a reason why the rejection notices returned. It's clear the universities want their applications to be on time because it's unfair for the others. That's why I would say that and you do have to pursue the university and plea with them, like Noodlzzz mentioned. I have heard cases of calling them up and explaining the situation and getting an entry place at the university if they have the grades, so there is still time to sort that out.
If the Universities wanted her predicted grades they would have asked her directly in an email for this.

Its far more likely that she was rejected because she didnt have something else such as GCSE equivalents in specific subjects, or her UCAT/BMAT was too low, or that her Personal Statement was not good enough. You can ask for feedback but you probably wont get that until after Easter.

Ultimately she/you may have to face the fact that Medicine is a competitive subject and the vast majority of applicants don't get an interview. It really is that brutal.
Original post by hadga
yes, she wants to try a kind of "appeal", she is still waiting for the 4th reply, but we think it will be the same answer. What could she write on her letter ?

What Noodlzz posted, have to write to them to explain. Do assume however that the lack of predictive grades weighted onto the reason to why you got these rejection and say it wasn't your fault, because of course that was unfair on you/your daughters behalf. I'm sure they have reps at the campus who deal with cases like yours and will re-consider the application. UCAS is a systematic process where they have to deal with millions of applications and they have to post the feedback across millions, so it's either "Accepted" or "Rejected" and that's only because their system does that, to clean their system or conclude applications and be ready for the next year. So the websites have to follow that.

You do have to chase the universities up and explain that to them and try again, considering UCAS was like the middle ground of the process.
Original post by returnmigrant
Ultimately she/you may have to face the fact that Medicine is a competitive subject and the vast majority of applicants don't get an interview. It really is that brutal.

I was about to mention, yeah, Medicine is competitive and another subject should be considered. Being Scotland, they want people to work and represent their country if they're going to hand out a medicine degree. Got enough of that here in England. Scotland isn't any different.

... but only if she hasn't tried asking the universities directly. could ask for an alternative solution or another course possibility when asking for feedback but could be asking for much.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hadga
hi, my daugther applied at 4 UNIS in scotland, for medecine. She received 3 replies . We are french, she choose a referee who don't speack english very well and he didn't give the predective grades asked by ucas on time. I told us about it, just after my daughter application get rejected. We didn't know at all that he would have to provide those grades, my daughter is on her last year of baccalauréat, and will pass her exams in june 2020. She passed the ielts with a score of 6 and UKAT
She wants to ask unis to reconsider her applications, i'm looking for samples and polite sentence she could write if someone could help please ))

As above - ask for feedback and go from there. Just something like 'To Whom it May Concern, I applied for X course recently and was unfortunately unsuccessful before obtaining an interview. I would like to ask for feedback as to why that was the case please. Many thanks for your help. Yours Faithfully, Y'.

Medicine is the UK is not like France, where they admit [almost?] everyone then the drop out rate is massive. We select hard at the beginning then almost everyone accepted will complete and become a doctor. As such, it is very competitive to get in. It is even more competitive if you are from outside the UK, as you are not as familiar with UCAS and will have cultural differences which may be apparent in the personal statement. It is just difficult.
Reply 9
Original post by nexttime
As above - ask for feedback and go from there. Just something like 'To Whom it May Concern, I applied for X course recently and was unfortunately unsuccessful before obtaining an interview. I would like to ask for feedback as to why that was the case please. Many thanks for your help. Yours Faithfully, Y'.

Medicine is the UK is not like France, where they admit [almost?] everyone then the drop out rate is massive. We select hard at the beginning then almost everyone accepted will complete and become a doctor. As such, it is very competitive to get in. It is even more competitive if you are from outside the UK, as you are not as familiar with UCAS and will have cultural differences which may be apparent in the personal statement. It is just difficult.

merci beaucoup for your help everyone ))
Yeah, as mentioned, ask them directly at least with that chance because if referee hadn't given predictive grades at least. All this talk about medicine being almost impossible to get into, it getting in the way of solving what the topic creator asked. I strongly think to ask the uni's directly with the supportive idea that you didn't get the predictive grades in hard, so you should at least try if you really want that. It is normal to run around a lot, almost excessively to get into university in some cases. I did my UCAS, went to different universities for interviews but even after then, I decided to get a course thru clearing and I suppose it was worth it. It wasn't as straightforward as it seems, so it's all not over. Just the UCAS process and someone forgetting to give you the required data which got in the way.

Got loads of time, months of time to sort that out, I would think.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest