The Student Room Group

Biology without chemistry help!!!!??

People say it is best to pair biology with chemistry alevel however I'm not so keen on chemistry- I'm going to take maths as well as biology- is there much point in taking biology without chemistry like what careers could biology without chemistry offer?
Original post by Lucy98654
People say it is best to pair biology with chemistry alevel however I'm not so keen on chemistry- I'm going to take maths as well as biology- is there much point in taking biology without chemistry like what careers could biology without chemistry offer?

Literally search online but Biology and Maths is a really good combination to do.
What do you want to be? Make sure that the subjects you pick are relevant to it.
Original post by Lucy98654

I'm going to start by saying if you're not keen on Chemistry, definitely don't take it if I were you. The course is a looooong two years and can be quite gruelling, tons of people in my class took it due to similar worries to yours and hated every second of it. However, to be fair I personally started off the course a bit meh on chemistry but actually really enjoy it right now so each to their own.

Personally, although the two courses have a fair few overlaps and similarities it is totally possible to take one without the other. I know people who did Biology, French and Geography and did just fine there. If anything, chemistry and maths I would recommend more simply because of all the calculation based topics. As for careers with your options, it completely depends on your current aspirations and your third subject. Maths leaves quite a broad spectrum of careers and biology opens up into a lot of sciences. It is worth being aware however that a lot of medical sciences ask for chemistry AND biology, so if that is your intrest then chem might be worth considering (this involves biomed, radiography etc). However there are also degrees such as "chiropractor training" (Cant remember the exact name lmao) that don't require chemistry, just biology. So essentially, it's completely up to your personal aspirations.

Sorry this couldn't be a more decisive answer but i hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Lucario_Moon
I'm going to start by saying if you're not keen on Chemistry, definitely don't take it if I were you. The course is a looooong two years and can be quite gruelling, tons of people in my class took it due to similar worries to yours and hated every second of it. However, to be fair I personally started off the course a bit meh on chemistry but actually really enjoy it right now so each to their own.

Personally, although the two courses have a fair few overlaps and similarities it is totally possible to take one without the other. I know people who did Biology, French and Geography and did just fine there. If anything, chemistry and maths I would recommend more simply because of all the calculation based topics. As for careers with your options, it completely depends on your current aspirations and your third subject. Maths leaves quite a broad spectrum of careers and biology opens up into a lot of sciences. It is worth being aware however that a lot of medical sciences ask for chemistry AND biology, so if that is your intrest then chem might be worth considering (this involves biomed, radiography etc). However there are also degrees such as "chiropractor training" (Cant remember the exact name lmao) that don't require chemistry, just biology. So essentially, it's completely up to your personal aspirations.

Sorry this couldn't be a more decisive answer but i hope this helps!

This was very helpful thank you !! I completely agree with u ! I just have no idea what I want to do in the future and I dont really want to do medicine and i feel like maths bio and chem alevel may be difficult ! I will have to decide soon but this was extremely informative thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest