The Student Room Group

Is the end of term 1 too late to change to a different course?

I'll try to keep this as concise as possible. I'm really passionate about psychology and applied to study it at university this year; however, on results day my offer changed to Psychology with Education because my A-Level grades weren't great and this course has slightly lower entry requirements than pure psych. The problem is, I have no desire to study Education. The reason I want to switch is because I have two core modules in education which I'm really not interested in, and there's a psychology optional module which I desperately wanted to take but couldn't because I had no optional slots due to the core education modules. I emailed saying as much twice, first on results day and again in welcome week, a few days before my course started. I received a response the second time saying my A-Level grades were too low to be transferred to the pure course, but I could take the optional module in addition to the core education ones if I wanted to. This makes no sense to me; surely taking all three is something a top student would be advised to do, rather than someone who didn't meet the grades for their original offer? I decided to try out education and see how I felt, but after a term I have to say it's even worse than I thought it would be. I'm so miserable in those sessions and really feel I'm wasting my money; the course is obviously aimed at people who want to become primary school teachers, which I don't. I should also note that there is no difference in difficulty between the two courses (the optional psychology module is not hard) except that education students don't have to pass the core biology module to go into second year. That's it. I'm averaging a decent first in this bio module so far (and in all other modules I've been assessed on), so I don't really think this is a concern for me. The reason I did badly on my A-Levels (other than because I was struggling with my mental health, but I didn't claim any mitigating circumstances at the time) was because I didn't like the subjects I was taking (none were related to psychology) and lost motivation, but the lowest mark I achieved on an assignment at uni in my first term was 68%, which I don't think is half bad. Ironically, I think I'd end up doing worse stuck on this education course than on the 'more difficult' pure course, since I'm just so unhappy here. So, what I'm trying to ask is, is there any point me emailing a third time and pleading my case, since in my opinion I'm doing quite well and don't feel my A-Level results accurately reflect my abilities?
Original post by Rebecca_falk
I'll try to keep this as concise as possible. I'm really passionate about psychology and applied to study it at university this year; however, on results day my offer changed to Psychology with Education because my A-Level grades weren't great and this course has slightly lower entry requirements than pure psych. The problem is, I have no desire to study Education. The reason I want to switch is because I have two core modules in education which I'm really not interested in, and there's a psychology optional module which I desperately wanted to take but couldn't because I had no optional slots due to the core education modules. I emailed saying as much twice, first on results day and again in welcome week, a few days before my course started. I received a response the second time saying my A-Level grades were too low to be transferred to the pure course, but I could take the optional module in addition to the core education ones if I wanted to. This makes no sense to me; surely taking all three is something a top student would be advised to do, rather than someone who didn't meet the grades for their original offer? I decided to try out education and see how I felt, but after a term I have to say it's even worse than I thought it would be. I'm so miserable in those sessions and really feel I'm wasting my money; the course is obviously aimed at people who want to become primary school teachers, which I don't. I should also note that there is no difference in difficulty between the two courses (the optional psychology module is not hard) except that education students don't have to pass the core biology module to go into second year. That's it. I'm averaging a decent first in this bio module so far (and in all other modules I've been assessed on), so I don't really think this is a concern for me. The reason I did badly on my A-Levels (other than because I was struggling with my mental health, but I didn't claim any mitigating circumstances at the time) was because I didn't like the subjects I was taking (none were related to psychology) and lost motivation, but the lowest mark I achieved on an assignment at uni in my first term was 68%, which I don't think is half bad. Ironically, I think I'd end up doing worse stuck on this education course than on the 'more difficult' pure course, since I'm just so unhappy here. So, what I'm trying to ask is, is there any point me emailing a third time and pleading my case, since in my opinion I'm doing quite well and don't feel my A-Level results accurately reflect my abilities?

This is NOT concise.
Options:
1.Resit A level.
2. Transfer to uni second year pure psych course based on first year high % exam results.
3. Nothing to lose by asking but feels like way too late and you should go somewhere they value you as a student.
Also youve managed to miss out most of the details.
Reply 2
What were your A level grades. Would they be good enough for entry to a psyc course at a different uni or not?

Basically, you are on a Psychology & Education course when you want to be on a Psychology course. I can understand you accepting the course at results time because at many unis it would have been possible to switch to straight Psychology after a couple of weeks. With hindsight, accepting the alternative course has turned out to be a mistake since your uni have not proved flexible about you switching from the combined to straight Psychology degree.

You're now in a difficult situation. I don't know if you are considering dropping out and reapplying for straight Psychology at a different uni starting Year 1 again in September 2020? If you are, I would tell your current uni that you are thinking about that which may make them take your concerns more seriously. If you have reasonable A level grades this could be an option worth considering unless you are happy with other aspects of your uni and don't want to leave. However, you need to balance this out with the extra costs that would be incurred.
Original post by Scotney
What were your A level grades. Would they be good enough for entry to a psyc course at a different uni or not?

Hmm, not really. I got ABC, so missed the entry requirements for pure psych by two grades. I'm sure there are universities that would accept me but I'm actually really happy where I am, it's just those core education modules that are ruining my experience a little bit. If I didn't have those, I'd be completely happy. Not worth leaving my friends behind to change it, though. Thanks for your answer!
Original post by 999tigger
This is NOT concise.
Options:
1.Resit A level.
2. Transfer to uni second year pure psych course based on first year high % exam results.
3. Nothing to lose by asking but feels like way too late and you should go somewhere they value you as a student.
Also youve managed to miss out most of the details.

Haha sorry, I'm terrible at being succinct. I'm hoping for either the second or third option, those education modules feel like a dream compared to the thought of going back to school and retaking my A-Levels. and sorry for the missing details, I just wanted to get my question asked as fast as possible and provide more details afterwards if people thought I might have a chance. As you say you think it's too late, I probably would've wasted everyone's time providing more information. Thank you for answering
Original post by harrysbar
Basically, you are on a Psychology & Education course when you want to be on a Psychology course. I can understand you accepting the course at results time because at many unis it would have been possible to switch to straight Psychology after a couple of weeks. With hindsight, accepting the alternative course has turned out to be a mistake since your uni have not proved flexible about you switching from the combined to straight Psychology degree.

You're now in a difficult situation. I don't know if you are considering dropping out and reapplying for straight Psychology at a different uni starting Year 1 again in September 2020? If you are, I would tell your current uni that you are thinking about that which may make them take your concerns more seriously. If you have reasonable A level grades this could be an option worth considering unless you are happy with other aspects of your uni and don't want to leave. However, you need to balance this out with the extra costs that would be incurred.

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. I'm not considering dropping out, that would make my life far more difficult than just spending three hours a week in lectures I don't care for, but if universities are generally amenable to requests like mine then I'd consider asking to transfer to be worth a shot since I don't feel my grades put me at a disadvantage. That was pretty much my question, but judging by the responses I've received it doesn't seem I have much of a chance. Thank you though!
Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. I'm not considering dropping out, that would make my life far more difficult than just spending three hours a week in lectures I don't care for, but if universities are generally amenable to requests like mine then I'd consider asking to transfer to be worth a shot since I don't feel my grades put me at a disadvantage. That was pretty much my question, but judging by the responses I've received it doesn't seem I have much of a chance. Thank you though!

Ask for a transfer and explain that you are unhappy on the current course. It’s worth a try!

Quick Reply

Latest