GymBeast31
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I am in my second year of A Levels and Chemistry is getting really hard as I don't know most of my content. My plan is to study all the content then just do exam practise until the actual exams. How do you guys revise the content of A Level Chemistry?
darylducks_17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I go over the topic using the official textbook and make notes on important aspects of the topic. Then I'd try the questions in the textbook and afterwards try exam-style questions from other exam boards as well!!
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I do practice questions from the textbook or from A LevelChemistry.com, and specially going through corrections with teachers is useful.
d.ludwikowski
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You could try out some of the following techniques:
-create flashcards defining key terms or outlining mechanisms in organic chemistry, for example.
-blurting. Unjadedjade on Youtube has a really good video explaining what it is. Basically it requires you to read materials such as textbooks or notes and then giving yourself a set amount of time to write down a mindmap of everything that you can recall. After the time’s up, using a different coloured pen make corrections to the mindmap (i.e. anything that you have missed out or got incorrect).
-past papers. Anything that you get severely wrong place the question on a flashcard and the answer at the back.
-I also read around a topic (not in the spec but useful) to get a solid background and understanding of the topic. I really recommend the book Advanced Chemistry 1 Physical and Industrial by Philip Matthews which explains most of the A-level content in-depth but using simple terms, lots of analogies and diagrams to help understand concepts.

Good luck! ☺️
GymBeast31
Rep:
?
(Original post by darylducks_17)
I go over the topic using the official textbook and make notes on important aspects of the topic. Then I'd try the questions in the textbook and afterwards try exam-style questions from other exam boards as well!!
Thanks for the reply, what textbook do you use?
GymBeast31
Rep:
?
(Original post by d.ludwikowski)
You could try out some of the following techniques:
-create flashcards defining key terms or outlining mechanisms in organic chemistry, for example.
-blurting. Unjadedjade on Youtube has a really good video explaining what it is. Basically it requires you to read materials such as textbooks or notes and then giving yourself a set amount of time to write down a mindmap of everything that you can recall. After the time’s up, using a different coloured pen make corrections to the mindmap (i.e. anything that you have missed out or got incorrect).
-past papers. Anything that you get severely wrong place the question on a flashcard and the answer at the back.
-I also read around a topic (not in the spec but useful) to get a solid background and understanding of the topic. I really recommend the book Advanced Chemistry 1 Physical and Industrial by Philip Matthews which explains most of the A-level content in-depth but using simple terms, lots of analogies and diagrams to help understand concepts.

Good luck! ☺️
Thank you for your tips they sound good and I'm sure they will help! 😁
GymBeast31
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
I do practice questions from the textbook or from A LevelChemistry.com, and specially going through corrections with teachers is useful.
Thank you!
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Thank you!
darylducks_17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by GymBeast31)
Thanks for the reply, what textbook do you use?
I live in Wales, so we do WJEC A-level Chemistry.
The textbook is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/WJEC-Chemis.../dp/1908682558
BTW I also use AlevelChemistry. com to find some AQA questions.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.63%
No (267)
33.38%

Watched Threads