greyview
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I’m in year 11 and we have to pick our A levels sometime around January, and my school requires us to take 4 at least initially. I’m pretty sure I’m going to take English Lit, English Language, and Drama, but I’ve been unsure about a fourth for a while.

I tried researching classical civ. A level online but couldn’t find much about it since it’s a less popular course. Could anyone who did/does OCR Classical Civilisation tell me a bit more about what the course is actually like?
phoebedaisy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do OCR classical civ! For your subject choices I think classical civ would complement them really well, I do English lit and I think taking both has really helped my writing skills.
I think the teacher has some flexibility on choosing some topics but everyone does the world of the hero - you read the odyssey or the Iliad as well as the aeneid. I also did greek theatre and then the politics of the late Roman republic (mainly Cicero’s life). My personal fave was theatre but honestly there’s nothing I’ve studied that I haven’t enjoyed.
I’d say it’s particularly good because it combines English and history (and drama if you do theatre topic) which is really interesting! Imo I think it’s a really good and useful subject for covering a lot of subjects in an ancient setting. Buttt if you don’t like it at least you’ll be able to drop it and still be taking 3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (37)
17.45%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.68%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.36%

Watched Threads