Report 1 month ago
that's nice
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's great.
I know so many inspirational teenage parents who have combined studying, working and parenting.
Their ambition and work ethic facilitating their success at all three.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
That's great.
I know so many inspirational teenage parents who have combined studying, working and parenting.
Their ambition and work ethic facilitating their success at all three.
Alas, they tend to be by far the exception though..
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Alas, they tend to be by far the exception though..
Especially in my family.
My maternal grandmother got married before she was 18 without parental permission, hasn't worked a day in her life and prefers to spend most of her time being a vicious bible basher.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My first thought is well done, and my second is that probably the (presumably) young man who is the child's father has probably abdicated all responsibility. Though there is a dad who allegedly has done the same with one of his children who is now Prime Minister.
looloo2134
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
My first thought is well done, and my second is that probably the (presumably) young man who is the child's father has probably abdicated all responsibility. Though there is a dad who allegedly has done the same with one of his children who is now Prime Minister.
Why should be PM be any better behave than average man on the street? We should have a person who similar to as in their personal lives.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
Why should be PM be any better behave than average man on the street? We should have a person who similar to as in their personal lives.
Does the average man in the street get three women pregnant when married to someone else? Does the average man deny the existence of one of their children? Does the average man have 5 or 6 children?
looloo2134
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does the average man in the street get three women pregnant when married to someone else? Does the average man deny the existence of one of their children? Does the average man have 5 or 6 children?
I don't know but it not uncommon for people to have affairs in UK 1 in 50 British men are raising a child which is not their own, without realising, their is a reason why babies look a like.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You want the pm to be a drunken football hooligan who rails lines of coke in the weatherspoons toilet?
winterscoming
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why should be PM be any better behave than average man on the street?
The average person on the street isn't in a privileged position of influence or leadership. The PM has a massive platform to reach millions of people, so their words and actions carry a huge amount of weight. People in that kind of position need to be held to much higher standards than everyone else because their behaviour resonates with people.
Pinkisk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Fathers that have children outside of marriage have no rights to their children in this country. If they want to play a part in their child's life the mother gets to decide whether or not they do. If she doesn't want the father in the child's life she could easily deny the father his rights, even if a court ruled in his favour. Courts, if a teenager can afford the fees for the process which runs in the thousands and sometimes tens of thousands of pounds (legal aid's been restricted now so that its practically impossible to get support for custody cases), do not enforce fathers/visitation rights.

I know that some posts in this thread imply that this girl is a hero, but this is not entirely her effort. I assure you of this. Always you find single mothers, rely heavily on those around them for support. I have many such individuals in my life and all without one single exception put a huge burden on those around them. The child often spends a large portion of their day with friends and family so that the mother has time to work and study. Expenses are always forced on the father. The support payments are taken out of his account whether he likes it or not. If he refuses to pay, he faces serious punishments. Additional financial needs required by the mother are often also payed by family and friends.

I always read these stories and their entire focus is on the woman almost as if it is entirely her efforts that bring about the accomplishments, the success, when reality is very, very far from this. I have often come across single mothers who pressure and exploit those around them, often elderly members of family to give up portions of their life to look after the child that the single mother has brought into the world, so that the mother can further her interests through a career. I have yet to come across a single, single mother who does not rely HEAVILY on those around her to raise her children. The real heroes of this girl's story is not her or her child but those around her who I do not doubt for a second have made HUGE sacrifices to allow her to become successful.

This story is a great example of the gynocentric nature of our society which focuses solely on single mothers and their efforts whilst intentionally dismissing the significant contributions of those around them in an effort to inflate the accomplishments of the single mother, which are often anything but her own accomplishments.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 month ago
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What has she graduated from?
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
What has she graduated from?
The article, early on, states: counselling psychology.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
The article, early on, states: counselling psychology.
Sorry, reading to many things at the same time.

Well, I'm not impressed. Lots of people study such degress while having children. I've personally met at least twenty.
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
You want the pm to be a drunken football hooligan who rails lines of coke in the weatherspoons toilet?
Not far off the current PM then... closer to this.
You want the pm to be a drunken socialite who rails lines of coke in the Bullingdon Club toilet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (65)
27.08%
1 (40)
16.67%
2 (40)
16.67%
3 (33)
13.75%
4 (16)
6.67%
5 (20)
8.33%