Nursss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to study optometry but i dont think my grades will be high enough. I decided to do introduction to optometry but apparently you are not guaranteed a entry for optometry if you don't get crazy high grades. Im scared and lost since i dont want to waste 9k on something that isn’t even guaranteed. Also people are saying it’s a way for unis to strip money from students and its worthless
stepheds
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have a look into your chosen unis. Some of them that offer a foundation year will guarantee you a place on the degree course upon completion. Obviously as long as you get the grades they ask for in the foundation year.
I’m doing an access year in science and my chosen unis want 144 UCAS points which is full distinction. It’s not impossible if you really want it and work hard.
kanako231
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nursss)
I want to study optometry but i dont think my grades will be high enough. I decided to do introduction to optometry but apparently you are not guaranteed a entry for optometry if you don't get crazy high grades. Im scared and lost since i dont want to waste 9k on something that isn’t even guaranteed. Also people are saying it’s a way for unis to strip money from students and its worthless
Obviously you need pass your foundation year before doing your main course, it's not like you can spend the year doing nothing before hopping into the course.
Think about whether you are ready to take the challenge of partaking in a foundation year before spending 9K
Nursss
Rep:
?
(Original post by stepheds)
Have a look into your chosen unis. Some of them that offer a foundation year will guarantee you a place on the degree course upon completion. Obviously as long as you get the grades they ask for in the foundation year.
I’m doing an access year in science and my chosen unis want 144 UCAS points which is full distinction. It’s not impossible if you really want it and work hard.
What university?
Nursss
Rep:
?
(Original post by kanako231)
Obviously you need pass your foundation year before doing your main course, it's not like you can spend the year doing nothing before hopping into the course.
Think about whether you are ready to take the challenge of partaking in a foundation year before spending 9K
Im ready to do foundation year and i will work hard to pass the exam but what im scared about is that even with high grades the place isn’t guaranteed
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im ready to do foundation year and i will work hard to pass the exam but what im scared about is that even with high grades the place isn’t guaranteed
There are few guarantees in life. You will be expected to do well on a Foundation year in order to progress onto Year 1 of a degree course (typically achieving 60% for Optometry).

All you can do is work hard and try your best - if you do well but get less than 60% you may still be able to transfer onto a less competitive course and at least you will know that Optometry wasn't an achievable goal.
stepheds
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What university?
I’m doing my access year at college. But I know some unis offer foundation courses. For eg I would like to study Diagnostic Radiography and Uni of Liverpool offer a foundation year. They all differ so you’d have to look into that yourself
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Normally with a foundation year you are required to get 60%, this is normally a very achievable goal.

Obviously there needs to be some sensible grade you need to achieve to progress. Im sure you can email Unis and they can explain to you the progression criteria from year 0 to year 1.

Yes unis use foundation years for money, tbh thats also why almost all unis offer undergrad degrees.
Nursss
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Normally with a foundation year you are required to get 60%, this is normally a very achievable goal.

Obviously there needs to be some sensible grade you need to achieve to progress. Im sure you can email Unis and they can explain to you the progression criteria from year 0 to year 1.

Yes unis use foundation years for money, tbh thats also why almost all unis offer undergrad degrees.
Also do you have to write your personal statement on just optometry or do you have to mention the foundation year aswell? Because i only talked about why i want to do optometry
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also do you have to write your personal statement on just optometry or do you have to mention the foundation year aswell? Because i only talked about why i want to do optometry
I doubt it makes that big a difference tbh, if its an optometry foundation year that directly links to the degree it should be fine.
Nursss
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
I doubt it makes that big a difference tbh, if its an optometry foundation year that directly links to the degree it should be fine.
Thank you so much x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (74)
28.35%
1 (41)
15.71%
2 (41)
15.71%
3 (38)
14.56%
4 (17)
6.51%
5 (20)
7.66%