The Student Room Group

When does clearing begin

When does clearing begin? Also can I go through clearing if only 2 unis accepted me but I dont want to go to either of them bcuz I changed my mind?? And also if you go thru clearing then do they accept lower grades??
6th July 2020.
Yes.
Likely, but not guaranteed in all cases.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/results-confirmation-and-clearing/what-clearing
you can only enter clearing if you are not holding any offers ie being rejected from or having rejected all your offers. Clearing starts in July but most people go into clearing on results day when results are known. Not every university or course is in clearing or extra which opens in Feb and basically it is the same rule of not holding any offers. Some universities do accept lower grades in Clearing whilst others dont. Which university would you be interested in and for what course.
Original post by swanseajack1
you can only enter clearing if you are not holding any offers ie being rejected from or having rejected all your offers. Clearing starts in July but most people go into clearing on results day when results are known. Not every university or course is in clearing or extra which opens in Feb and basically it is the same rule of not holding any offers. Some universities do accept lower grades in Clearing whilst others dont. Which university would you be interested in and for what course.

I wanted to apply for law at Lancaster and Liverpool. But I wanted to do this thru clearing. Cuz my grades aren't enough atm. I was hoping clearing would lower my grades and I'd have a better chance of getting in.
Certainly it is a possibility but whether they will be in clearing and how much they will reduce their grades I dont know.@Notoriety 1 and @harrysbar might be able to help you further as they hold information of universities in clearing in past years and what grades students got in with.
Original post by swanseajack1
Certainly it is a possibility but whether they will be in clearing and how much they will reduce their grades I dont know.@Notoriety 1 @J Papi and @harrysbar might be able to help you further as they hold information of universities in clearing in past years and what grades students got in with.

Okay. Thanks!
Original post by Imastudenthelpme
I wanted to apply for law at Lancaster and Liverpool. But I wanted to do this thru clearing. Cuz my grades aren't enough atm. I was hoping clearing would lower my grades and I'd have a better chance of getting in.

You were the person predicted ABC? You could apply to Lancaster and Liverpool now because you have some chance of being given an offer - just make sure you also apply to unis asking for ABC/BBB too.

I can tell you what happened in Clearing 2019, but it won't necessarily be the same in 2020. Lancaster had vacancies at BBB (apparently BBC at the end of A level results day for their last few places) and Liverpool were only in early Clearing for people with BBB/BBC. We believe that most of those places were given to people who had already applied to Liverpool, hence it is worth applying to them now.
Here is the TSR Guide to Clearing :https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/clearing/introduction-to-clearing
Read it all, carefully.
Haha yes it's me. And omg that's so good to hear!! Thank you! I will apply there.

But I just realised. My teacher doent let anyone apply to 2 unis above their predicted grade. She says we can only apply to 1 uni higher than our predicted grade. Which one should I apply to? Which one do I have a better chance of getting into? Or should I just try to negotiate??
Original post by returnmigrant
Here is the TSR Guide to Clearing :https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/clearing/introduction-to-clearing
Read it all, carefully.

Okay. thank you!!
Haha yes it's me. And omg that's so good to hear!! Thank you! I will apply there.

But I just realised. My teacher doent let anyone apply to 2 unis above their predicted grade. She says we can only apply to 1 uni higher than our predicted grade. Which one should I apply to? Which one do I have a better chance of getting into? Or should I just try to negotiate??

Try and negotiate - your teacher has no right to tell you where you can and can't apply. Tell her that you will apply to 3 unis asking for A levels at your predicted grades but you want to apply to one at AAB and one at ABB and are willing to take the risk of getting rejected. In my opinion, you are likely to get an offer from Liverpool whereas Lancaster is more risky but as you get 5 choices, one or even two rejections would not be disasterous.

It might help to get a parent involved. Tell your teacher that Lancaster Admissions themselves confirmed on TSR that they accepted people with BBC by the end of A level results day and that several people reported Liverpool being flexible with people they had already made conditional offers to. Predicted grades are often wrong and unis know that.
Omdsss thank you so much!! U have helped a lot!!
Omdsss thank you so much!! U have helped a lot!!

And you are very generous with your reps so I have given you one :biggrin:
Original post by harrysbar
And you are very generous with your reps so I have given you one :biggrin:

Hahaha ☺️ thanks
Reply 14
Are international media and communications / media and comms at Newcastle / Loughborough likely to be on clearing ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending