Need feedback on my choices! (Film Studies)

Watch
dancingmunchkin
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello! I'm from the US and applying for uni for the second time around. I've had a hard time trying to decide what to study, but I've finally settled on Film Studies and History, mainly because I'm interested in film history and I would like to become a professor and focus my research on religious film history (weird maybe? it's what I want to do though).

I'm currently planning on applying to Exeter for Flexible Combined Honors (I've selected film and history), Bangor for History with Film Studies, Southampton for Film and History, Queen Mary for Film Studies and German, and Royal Holloway for Film (though I'm considering changing that to Kent for Film and History).

I'm hesitant about Queen Mary but their program has ranked high in the past and I like the modules they offer. They don't offer Film and History for 2020, which is disappointing, but I've studied German in the past and I love it, and the year abroad seems beneficial to a future career.

I would love to apply to uni in Scotland, but I've already been taking university-level courses for three years, and I don't want to take too long getting my Bachelor's.

I'm feeling confident about my choice in Bangor and Southampton, but I'm feeling about iffy of my other choices. Could I possibly get some feedback here? A school's reputation says a lot about it, so what's the general reputation of the universities I've chosen?
Thank you!
aw03
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by dancingmunchkin)
Hello! I'm from the US and applying for uni for the second time around. I've had a hard time trying to decide what to study, but I've finally settled on Film Studies and History, mainly because I'm interested in film history and I would like to become a professor and focus my research on religious film history (weird maybe? it's what I want to do though).

I'm currently planning on applying to Exeter for Flexible Combined Honors (I've selected film and history), Bangor for History with Film Studies, Southampton for Film and History, Queen Mary for Film Studies and German, and Royal Holloway for Film (though I'm considering changing that to Kent for Film and History).

I'm hesitant about Queen Mary but their program has ranked high in the past and I like the modules they offer. They don't offer Film and History for 2020, which is disappointing, but I've studied German in the past and I love it, and the year abroad seems beneficial to a future career.

I would love to apply to uni in Scotland, but I've already been taking university-level courses for three years, and I don't want to take too long getting my Bachelor's.

I'm feeling confident about my choice in Bangor and Southampton, but I'm feeling about iffy of my other choices. Could I possibly get some feedback here? A school's reputation says a lot about it, so what's the general reputation of the universities I've chosen?
Thank you!
Exeter, Southampton, QMUL and RHUL have really good reputations with Exeter and Southampton being the top of those 4. tbh i've never even heard of Bangor so i can't really speak for that. the others are awesome and all have great reputations.
StudentRep Medway
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by dancingmunchkin)

Thank you!
Hi there!
So pleased to hear you're considering the University of Kent for Film and History I'm currently in my final year at Kent and have several friends who are studying Film and I study History, so I have a bit of insight into each aspect of the course you're interested in at Kent
Kent is well regarded for both Film and History and has some really great facilities for Films studies! I have really loved studying at Kent and highly recommend it I know Kent isn't a choice you're certain of at the moment but if you have any questions about the course or life at Kent in general then please feel free to ask, I'm happy to help where I can!
Best of luck with your university applications!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (591)
34.02%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.45%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads