Mistyaaa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey I have to apply for my a level options and I’m really stuck between French and sociology. I’m currently predicted a 9 in French for gcse, and I like essay writing so I’m not sure what to pick. For my other two options I’m taking English lit and Art. They both really compliment the options I’ve already chosen, so I’d like to know how they are, if they’re interesting, which one’s harder etc?
localtoast
Badges: 11
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I’m a French A Level student (Year 12) and I would recommend French if you enjoy talking about broader topics since it’s very very different from GCSE, there’s more to learn and the content can be challenging if you don’t put in the work. There is a bit of essay writing in French, which I think you’ll enjoy since you like the more artsy philosophical side of A Levels.

Sociology does seem like a very good pick too! (Sorry, I don’t personally do this A Level so I can’t give you the best of advice on this!) My best advice is do what you like, don’t force yourself to do subjects that you don’t like. It may seem obvious but I’ve seen plenty of my friends hate their A Levels because they chose something they didn’t like. You’ll enjoy college so much more!

Talk to the college you’re thinking of going to at an Open Day, some colleges let you do 4 A Levels as long as your GCSEs are all 7+. So you could do Sociology, French, Art, and English Lit!

If you’ve got questions about the French A Level (AQA) feel free to PM me
Mistyaaa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by localtoast)
Hey! I’m a French A Level student (Year 12) and I would recommend French if you enjoy talking about broader topics since it’s very very different from GCSE, there’s more to learn and the content can be challenging if you don’t put in the work. There is a bit of essay writing in French, which I think you’ll enjoy since you like the more artsy philosophical side of A Levels.

Sociology does seem like a very good pick too! (Sorry, I don’t personally do this A Level so I can’t give you the best of advice on this!) My best advice is do what you like, don’t force yourself to do subjects that you don’t like. It may seem obvious but I’ve seen plenty of my friends hate their A Levels because they chose something they didn’t like. You’ll enjoy college so much more!

Talk to the college you’re thinking of going to at an Open Day, some colleges let you do 4 A Levels as long as your GCSEs are all 7+. So you could do Sociology, French, Art, and English Lit!

If you’ve got questions about the French A Level (AQA) feel free to PM me
Thanks a lot that was really helpful, the sixth formers at my school aren’t really too helpful. But yh I think I am leaning towards French more but it’s still such a hard choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (95)
49.22%
No (98)
50.78%

Watched Threads