The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
pro choice to an extent, pro death penalty (in certain cases)

Still more pro choice than not, and less pro death penalty than not
Reply 2
Very pro life, Very pro death penalty.
Reply 3
Moncal

me too...but maybe not as "very" :smile:
Moncal

What an oxymoron.
Pro life as theres little ambiguity with this subject but totally anti death penalty. I do think there are acts which deserve the death sentence but we would have to have a perfect judiciary in place for me to support its return and this is impossible.
NDGAARONDI
What an oxymoron.

Absolutely not.
Reply 7
an Siarach
Absolutely not.

Its not an oxymoron - but there is a touch of irony.
Lawzzzzzz

Granted, to an extent.
Reply 9
Lawzzzzzz

how...?

pro life for an unborn baby is not comparable to death for some scumbag murderer

id say "Pro choice, anti death penalty" is equally oxymoron-ish/ironic if we're going to get technical about it.
Reply 10
technik
how...?

pro life for an unborn baby is not comparable to death for some scumbag murderer

Simply because many pro-lifers are of the mind that "life is sacred". As such it is hard to reconcile that with capital punishment. Not impossible - but there is an ideological incongruence of sorts.
Reply 11
Lawzzzzzz
Simply because many pro-lifers are of the mind that "life is sacred". As such it is hard to reconcile that with capital punishment. Not impossible - but there is an ideological incongruence of sorts.

i dont subscribe to the life is sacred stuff. i just dont think its right to kill a child. it doesnt have a choice.

death penalty is a different matter. some murderer has chosen to kill people. he/she is responsible for their actions.
Reply 12
technik
i dont subscribe to the life is sacred stuff. i just dont think its right to kill a child. it doesnt have a choice.

death penalty is a different matter. some murderer has chosen to kill people. he/she is responsible for their actions.

Then there is little to no irony in YOUR Position. That though is not universal.
Lawzzzzzz

Yes alright. My point was that can you really call yourself 'pro life' if you believe in the death penalty? Some say yes, some say no, I think the latter in order to attempt at being consistent.
Reply 14
Moncal

oh the irony
Reply 15
NDGAARONDI
Yes alright. My point was that can you really call yourself 'pro life' if you believe in the death penalty? Some say yes, some say no, I think the latter in order to attempt at being consistent.

Well if you take the term "pro-life" literally. Its really just a label for those who are anti abortion.
NDGAARONDI
What an oxymoron.

I think we can miss off the "oxy".
Lawzzzzzz
Well if you take the term "pro-life" literally. Its really just a label for those who are anti abortion.

Well that's what people think but it's not the case in reality.

You can be pro-life if you against abortion unless it will result the death of the mother and that the foetus cannot be delivered alive (we can now use saesarian (sp) where mothers get killed in labour). Also against the death penalty on all circumstances. And with euthanasia, it should only be allowed where the concerned person is a bit like in a PVS. Although technically speaking you might have to be against it on all grounds too.

The thing with the usual pro-life argument is I don't hear much mention of suicide in general. Surely pro-lifers should be against suicide.
Reply 18
I'm pro choice (up to about 2 months after that its just sick),
anti death penalty, it makes you almost as bad as the murderer, Make their life hell, sure, but don't kill them.
Reply 19
I'm completely pro-choice when it comes to abortion. For the death penalty

Latest