The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Lawzzzzzz
Damn good point - wish I had more rep to give out today.

C'mon Lawz, there's a slight difference between frying a violent criminal and gassing 100,000 men, woman and children.
Reply 141
Lawzzzzzz
Yeah - no - I dont ascribe it to you :smile: ... you just seem to know what your talking about when it comes to religion - so I thought I'd ask...

It just seems that people seem to focus in on certain sins that THEY personally find reprehinsible, and go easy on others... pretty transparent if you ask me.

I assure you that I'm not a bible bouncer. I don't know much about religion.
Reply 142
Douglas
I assure you that I'm not a bible bouncer. I don't know much about religion.

Well you quoted the Bible with a decent level of nouse. ...
Reply 143
Lawzzzzzz
Though I would have to admit - it would quite probably be a reference to Sodomy..

It could even be bestiality, I hear those guys back in the olden days liked their cows and sheep.
Reply 144
Lawzzzzzz
Well any hypothetical you like - shoot down a plane with 100 innocent people because its got a nuclear bomb on board, and its heading for london.

In that sort of hypothetical situation then yes the plane should be shot down. But I don't agree with using death as a punishment for a crime. I think in the plane situation it has to be done for the greater good. However I don't think it is comparable with the death penalty.
Reply 145
Douglas
C'mon Lawz, there's a slight difference between frying a violent criminal and gassing 100,000 men, woman and children.

Well there is - but the similarity is that Saddam was the law - and as such, those who disobeyed it when the penalty was death were in a similar position to those who are put to death for murder in the US.

Unless the purpose of the death penalty in the states is to exact revenge - there are few differences - the morality of punishment is not something that interests me - I only consider the question of whether it is useful to acheiving the ends desired - ie less harm to the public.
Reply 146
randdom
In that sort of hypothetical situation then yes the plane should be shot down. But I don't agree with using death as a punishment for a crime. I think in the plane situation it has to be done for the greater good. However I don't think it is comparable with the death penalty.

Well its entirely comparable - you can consider a situation where the death penalty will improve the greater good, and prevent the death of others.

As such there is NO moral difference.
Reply 147
Douglas
It could even be bestiality, I hear those guys back in the olden days liked their cows and sheep.

"According to the Kinsey Institute, half of the men raised on farms have had a sexual encounter with an animal."
Reply 148
randdom
I think you will find it hard to find many people who agree with abortion as late as that. Do you have an figures to show how common it is. Because I knew it wasn't uncommon in china at least not ten years ago, but it worries me that it happens in a country like the USA

Randdom, it's not very common at all. The point was, that it's legal.

You see, Kerry supported partial birth abortion, Bush didn't, which made for a controversial election.

Probably 50% of the people support 2nd trimester abortions, but 70% of the people are against partial birth abortions.

Gotta go..................
Reply 149
Douglas
Randdom, it's not very common at all. The point was, that it's legal.

You see, Kerry supported partial birth abortion, Bush didn't, which made for a controversial election.

Probably 50% of the people support 2nd trimester abortions, but 70% of the people are against partial birth abortions.

Gotta go..................

Hmm well I think its fairly simlistic to say that Kerry "supported" partial birth abortions... he wanted a stipulation about the mother's health, which whatever anyone says, IS possible - it wouldnt have to be as wide as a "headache" - things such as "real and material danger to the life or long term physical health of the mother" could be used... and the rest left to judges.
Moncal
Very pro life, Very pro death penalty.

How very American of you. :rolleyes:
Reply 151
foolfarian
How very American of you. :rolleyes:

Thankyou :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending