Poll: What does A-Level Psychology mostly involve?
The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.
user56781234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I'm currently applying for colleges and am interested in studying A-level Psychology. I was just wanted to know a bit more about the course.
How much maths is involved?
What level is the maths that you do compared to GCSE (grade 1-9)?
Do you just read textbooks or actual books as well?
How long do you get to write essays?
Roughly how long are the essays that you have to write?
Thanks so much any help is much appreciated xx
Last edited by user56781234; 1 month ago
ThePsychKid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi!
I'm not sure which exam board you'll be doing so I'll answer your questions in the context of AQA Psychology.
1) The only maths involved is basic maths such as calculating range, mean, percentages, etc. I don't think you'll have to worry too much about the maths part.
2) Textbooks are enough, but I find it useful to use 2 different textbooks when studying as evaluation in some books aren't very thorough.
3) It depends on how much time you take in the exam but you should try to limit your essay writing time to about 10-12 minutes so you have time to answer all questions on a paper. (5 minutes should go into planning and the rest into actually writing it)
4) Again, it depends, but this time on the person as in if you've got large handwriting or small handwriting, etc. Personally, I find that I typically write 1.5 pages, maximum 2
user56781234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ThePsychKid)
Hi!
I'm not sure which exam board you'll be doing so I'll answer your questions in the context of AQA Psychology.
1) The only maths involved is basic maths such as calculating range, mean, percentages, etc. I don't think you'll have to worry too much about the maths part.
2) Textbooks are enough, but I find it useful to use 2 different textbooks when studying as evaluation in some books aren't very thorough.
3) It depends on how much time you take in the exam but you should try to limit your essay writing time to about 10-12 minutes so you have time to answer all questions on a paper. (5 minutes should go into planning and the rest into actually writing it)
4) Again, it depends, but this time on the person as in if you've got large handwriting or small handwriting, etc. Personally, I find that I typically write 1.5 pages, maximum 2
Thanks that’s really helpful, I was worried that the maths would be too hard but by what you’ve said I’m sure I’ll manage x
ThePsychKid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by user56781234)
Thanks that’s really helpful, I was worried that the maths would be too hard but by what you’ve said I’m sure I’ll manage x
Aw no problem! Yeah, maths isn't hard at all don't worry haha, you'll be fine <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (65)
27.31%
1 (39)
16.39%
2 (40)
16.81%
3 (32)
13.45%
4 (16)
6.72%
5 (20)
8.4%