The Student Room Group

Mature student applying for Creative Computing, not sure if I have the grades

Hi

I have been really thinking about doing the Creative Computing degree at Goldsmiths, however I am not sure if I should bother since my grades are abysmal.

I left my A-levels with an E in maths, an E in chemistry and a D in product design. I had done really well in GCSEs, pretty much straight As but in sixth form I caved in to depression, had a horrible attendance and had basically given up on life.

Fortunately things are much better now. I packed my bags to live in London, I am now 21 and living as a freelance sound designer and music producer.

I want to do the Creative Computing degree at Goldsmiths because I want to start learning how to develop my own tools for Music production, as well as expand my networking in the industry.

The problem is the recommended grades for the course are B,B,B. Basically on a whole other world from what I have.

For some reason part of me has hope that I could somehow convince them with my personal statement, explaining my story.... am I being too delusional? Will they not even bother reading it if they see I have such bad grades?

I would appreciate some thoughts from you guys.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I also forgot to mention that I have already learned basic HTML/CSS, JavaScript, python and Max for live. So I wouldn't be starting from 0.
Original post by modii
Hi

I have been really thinking about doing the Creative Computing degree at Goldsmiths, however I am not sure if I should bother since my grades are abysmal.

I left my A-levels with an E in maths, an E in chemistry and a D in product design. I had done really well in GCSEs, pretty much straight As but in sixth form I caved in to depression, had a horrible attendance and had basically given up on life.

Fortunately I am much better now I packed my bags to live in London, I am now 21 and living as a freelance sound designer and music producer.

I want to do the Creative Computing degree at Goldsmiths because I want to start learning how to develop my own tools for Music production, as well as expand my networking in the industry.

The problem is the recommended grades for the course are B,B,B. Basically on a whole other world from what I have.

For some reason part of me has hope that I could somehow convince them with my personal statement, explaining my story.... am I being too delusional? Will they not even bother reading it if they see I have such bad grades?

If you did your A level when you were 18, i.e 3+ years ago, they're a bit too old to be used for direct university entrance now anyway. Unis like to see some evidence of recent academic study, be that a further one or two A levels, an Access Course, OU credits etc.

As your situation is very 'non-standard', it's probably best to contact Goldsmiths and ask them what sort of preparation would make you a competitive candidate for entry. I'm going to tag them in for you here too, in case they'd like to make some more general observations about your case @Goldsmiths, University of London. Check out their pages here
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
If you did your A level when you were 18, i.e 3+ years ago, they're a bit too old to be used for direct university entrance now anyway. Unis like to see some evidence of recent academic study, be that a further one or two A levels, an Access Course, OU credits etc.

Yeah I think you are right.

I was originally thinking of applying for 2020, however it might be better to do a course first, then apply for 2021. Regardless I'm going to take your advice and try to contact an admissions tutor at Goldsmiths.

Thanks!
Original post by modii
Hi

Fortunately things are much better now. I packed my bags to live in London, I am now 21 and living as a freelance sound designer and music producer.

Hi there,

You may be interested in applying for our Computing foundation year as an integrated degree programme? 💻

This programme was designed specifically for promising mature students who may not have the formal qualifications to meet the entry requirements to go straight into the BSc. As long as you pass the foundation year you can progress directly onto the BSc Creative Computing afterwards 😊

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help!

-Miranda 🤩
Reply 5
Original post by Goldsmiths, University of London
Hi there,

You may be interested in applying for our Computing foundation year as an integrated degree programme? 💻

This programme was designed specifically for promising mature students who may not have the formal qualifications to meet the entry requirements to go straight into the BSc. As long as you pass the foundation year you can progress directly onto the BSc Creative Computing afterwards 😊

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help!

-Miranda 🤩

Hi Miranda!

Thanks for responding, I am glad I went to these forums or else I might of never found that foundation year degree, it looks really interesting!

I'm wondering, would it make sense to apply to both the foundation year and the BSc? That way I can do the foundation year if I don't get accepted into the Creative Computing degree, but I also have a chance of maybe skipping the foundation year?

Had to ask, I have no idea i that sort of thing is frowned upon or maybe there is just no chance of getting in without the foundation degree.

Anyways I'm very grateful for the quick response 😊
Original post by modii
Hi Miranda!

Thanks for responding, I am glad I went to these forums or else I might of never found that foundation year degree, it looks really interesting!

I'm wondering, would it make sense to apply to both the foundation year and the BSc? That way I can do the foundation year if I don't get accepted into the Creative Computing degree, but I also have a chance of maybe skipping the foundation year?

Had to ask, I have no idea i that sort of thing is frowned upon or maybe there is just no chance of getting in without the foundation degree.

Anyways I'm very grateful for the quick response 😊

No problem at all! Technically you can apply for more than one course, but I would recommend applying for the BSc Creative Computing with Foundation Year in Computing which is more of an integrated degree that includes both programmes (You can find it on UCAS here).

When you apply for this programme, you might be invited to take a short test in maths and problem solving at our New Cross campus. The test is help the admissions tutor assess your current knowledge of problem solving and mathematics. Part of the reason we ask you to take this test is because some applicants who apply for our integrated degree (with foundation year) might be better suited to one of our three year degree despite not meeting the entrance requirements for those programmes. If you live a long way from London, you may be able to take the test remotely and some financial help might be available. 💻

Hope this helps! 😊

-Miranda
Reply 7
No problem at all! Technically you can apply for more than one course, but I would recommend applying for the BSc Creative Computing with Foundation Year in Computing which is more of an integrated degree that includes both programmes (You can find it on UCAS here).

When you apply for this programme, you might be invited to take a short test in maths and problem solving at our New Cross campus. The test is help the admissions tutor assess your current knowledge of problem solving and mathematics. Part of the reason we ask you to take this test is because some applicants who apply for our integrated degree (with foundation year) might be better suited to one of our three year degree despite not meeting the entrance requirements for those programmes. If you live a long way from London, you may be able to take the test remotely and some financial help might be available. 💻

Hope this helps! 😊

-Miranda

I live in London so thats perfect for me, I will be sure to apply 😊

Thanks for being so helpful!
Original post by modii
I live in London so thats perfect for me, I will be sure to apply 😊

Thanks for being so helpful!

No problem at all, good luck!! 🌟

-Miranda
Reply 9
No problem at all, good luck!! 🌟

-Miranda

Hi sorry to bother you again,

I have a question about references, because of my situation I don't really have any obvious options for a reference. I read in this article which said that there is an option to not include a reference if I contact the university and they agree that I don't need one.

Is this something that goldsmiths does? If so who do I need to contact specifically?
Original post by modii
Hi sorry to bother you again,

I have a question about references, because of my situation I don't really have any obvious options for a reference. I read in this article which said that there is an option to not include a reference if I contact the university and they agree that I don't need one.

Is this something that goldsmiths does? If so who do I need to contact specifically?

No problem! We do require a reference, but if you have been out of education for awhile you can provide an employment reference rather than an academic one. If you are self-employed, you may wish to include a reference from a client that has worked with you.

Hope this helps!

-Miranda
Reply 11
No problem! We do require a reference, but if you have been out of education for awhile you can provide an employment reference rather than an academic one. If you are self-employed, you may wish to include a reference from a client that has worked with you.

Hope this helps!

-Miranda

As a self employed music producer and sound designer my clients have been other freelance artists and animators who don't really know me that well. Would that still be suitable as a reference?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply