Does not having a degree hold you back in life?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
As a guy I will be looking to earn a ‘decent’ enough wage in the future so that I have enough to live comfortably and provide for my hopefully future wife and children.

I have A levels and am assessing my future options - I can either get a degree which will be a drain on money and I will be missing out on 3 years worth of money that other people my age will have who are working full time.

My other option is to do an advanced level 3 apprenticeship, where I will be on a low wage for 2 years but obviously it is experience and some money at least, plus the chance to gain a full time Job after the apprenticeship with the same organisation.

Will I have an issue if I don’t get a degree to access a good enough band of jobs to live comfortably and provide for a family in the future? Opinions please - thanks
angelinahx
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
No
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As a guy I will be looking to earn a ‘decent’ enough wage in the future so that I have enough to live comfortably and provide for my hopefully future wife and children.

I have A levels and am assessing my future options - I can either get a degree which will be a drain on money and I will be missing out on 3 years worth of money that other people my age will have who are working full time.

My other option is to do an advanced level 3 apprenticeship, where I will be on a low wage for 2 years but obviously it is experience and some money at least, plus the chance to gain a full time Job after the apprenticeship with the same organisation.

Will I have an issue if I don’t get a degree to access a good enough band of jobs to live comfortably and provide for a family in the future? Opinions please - thanks
It's a big mistake to think the only way to a secure future is via a degree. This is a TSR thing. It depends on what you want to do for your future career, and what options there are to get there. Plenty of careers don't need you to have done a degree, and there's plenty of non-degree routes (such as apprenticeships which you've already mentioned) too.

Absolutely don't feel that it's either a degree or bust. It's probably much better to do something practical towards building a career than doing some half-arsed degree at a half-arsed university because 'it's the thing to do'.
Letty Kwenn
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

No, you can make money without having a college degree! many people have done it before, all you have to do is be smart and learn things online.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (280)
41.79%
The paper was reasonable (279)
41.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (61)
9.1%
It was TERRIBLE (50)
7.46%

Watched Threads