Why do people go for grad schemes like Tesco and McDonalds?

Watch
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Go uni and then go work as a McD manager????
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
Why not? What's wrong with that?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
McDs is a good company with a lot of potential progression.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Bloke round here that was a Maccies skivvy, then a manager, then a regional, the he remortgaged his house to buy a franchise, now has six, and turns over 24 million a year
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 10 months ago
For starters, these companies offer grad scheme in various roles, for example project management, finance, procurements and supplies, data science, software development. There's nothing wrong in working as a McDonald's store manager, you'll be equipped with many useful skills sine you'll have a bigger responsibility. The salaries is also pretty decent, for ASDA its £27k, Tesco £28k for all grad roles, and McDonalds its £25-30k depending on the role (I've only applied for project management, which was £25k for Kent, and around £28k for London area ). They also offer and pay you to gain professional qualifications in your chosen field to improve your job prospect and salary (e.g. APM for project management, ACA for Finance which newly qualified accountant make an average of £40k+).

These sort of reaction to these companies is very childish, as many recruiters from different sector love to see candidates that have worked there (as they often tend to be hard workers, have developed good transferable skills). I'v been interviewed by a former McDonald's store manager that currently works as a head of recruitment for a big firm and easily make £40k+. I've enjoyed my conversation with him as he was very intelligent (though he rejected my application :laugh:).

Have a look at the job description as see whats involved in the role.
Spoiler:
Show
. Key responsibilities
Your first step in the role will be an intensive in-store 20-week management development programme. This offers thorough training in the operational side of the business. You'll learn commercial skills in areas including finance, marketing, leadership and HR, and attend several courses at our management university. After completing the programme you'll be a qualified second assistant manager working with the management team. You'll be setting targets, managing budgets, controlling stock as well as recruiting, training and inspiring your employees. There are lots of opportunities to progress within the company and build your career. Almost half of our executive team started out by working in our restaurants. Rewards and benefits As a trainee manager you'll have a starting salary of between £22,000-25,000. On completing the management development programme you'll be eligible for our quarterly bonus scheme. Other benefits can include:
  • Six weeks holiday per annum
  • Annual performance-related pay review
  • Life assurance cover
  • Optional contributory pension scheme
  • Private healthcare for you, your spouse and any dependent children up to 21 years of age, after six months' service
  • Company car or cash alternative after six months as a business manager
  • A paid sabbatical of eight weeks for every 10 years of service
  • Employee discounts and savings from over 1,600 retailers
  • Childcare vouchers
  • Meal Allowance
    The application process - what to expect First, we check to see if you measure up to our basic criteria through an application form and psychometric test. We're looking for graduates from any discipline, or people with relevant experience in management and customer-facing roles. If you match our criteria, you'll be invited to an assessment day in our Head Office, followed by working a shift in one of our restaurants. This lasts a day and you get to try the job for real. Finally, you'll have an interview with the area operations manager/franchisee, who'll discuss everything you've done so far and if all goes well, we'll offer you a job. To apply for this position you'll need to be eligible to work in the UK and have either a degree or relevant experience. All our trainee manager positions require you to be mobile within the geographical region you apply to. More information To find out more, please click on the 'apply online' link on this page.
Last edited by kkboyk; 10 months ago
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Bloke round here that was a Maccies skivvy, then a manager, then a regional, the he remortgaged his house to buy a franchise, now has six, and turns over 24 million a year
Exactly he worked from the bottom and isn’t paying back a 30k loan
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Exactly he worked from the bottom and isn’t paying back a 30k loan
paid back 130k one instead
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Why do people put threads about grad schemes in chat

Moved to careers
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by gjd800)
paid back 130k one instead
:laugh:
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
So they don't have to work flippin burgers?
weeemma
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'm doing a degree course as working Monday to Friday at vet practice and attend university on certain days and I work Saturday and Sunday in a well known chemist 8 hrs each day, there's nothing wrong with that
People need to get a real life if they think doing a degree course to work in places like McDonald's or tesco or asda etc etc because its least a job they got regardless of what it is and where it is
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.19%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (381)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.84%
I'm not a current university student (642)
49.23%

Watched Threads