Could this terror attack in London swing the election Labour's way Watch

One JC
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Could it mean that Labour gets in as a result of this terror attack?
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Even if they got in, it really wouldn't mean much for Brexit. Support for the EU in the UK is actually DOWN from 2016.

With the way the Brexit party is going, along with the controversy with the Tories, I suspect we're looking at a pact/coalition government. Potentially with the Tories and the Brexit party, depending on the amount of support the latter get of course. But I don't think we're going to get a clear majority, let's put it like that.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 month ago
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. There is no sign that it's really helping either party
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheMcSame)
Even if they got in, it really wouldn't mean much for Brexit. Support for the EU in the UK is actually DOWN from 2016.

With the way the Brexit party is going, along with the controversy with the Tories, I suspect we're looking at a pact/coalition government. Potentially with the Tories and the Brexit party, depending on the amount of support the latter get of course. But I don't think we're going to get a clear majority, let's put it like that.
The Brexit party has collapsed in support from around 11% to 2-3%. They are out of the question now.

Current polling suggest a majority Tory government, so unless something happens in the next week, that's what we are on course to get. Even if it's hung, it will likely be narrow enough that the Torries can manage with the DUP again.
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
The Brexit party has collapsed in support from around 11% to 2-3%. They are out of the question now.

Current polling suggest a majority Tory government, so unless something happens in the next week, that's what we are on course to get. Even if it's hung, it will likely be narrow enough that the Torries can manage with the DUP again.
Hmm interesting.

Maybe it's a case of people not being comfortable enough to disclose they support the Brexit party, data that has poor representation? Idk. Seems kinda odd that support would be so low given that support for the EU is down since the referendum, Boris failed to deliver on his promise (through no fault of his own mind you), a lot of strong labour seats are likely going to be heavily focused on Brexit and not to mention they slammed the MEP elections. Maybe Farage's plan of not contesting Tory seats has massively backfired and the strongest Brexit supporters are in fact in strong Tory areas? I guess it's just a waiting game at this point. Then again, I suppose Farage's plan wasn't to get in power, but rather to steal seats from the other parties to give the Tories a better chance at dealing with Brexit.

I'm not sure about how keen the DUP would be with making another pact with the tories after the latest rumours of custom checks at the border though. I can't imagine it'd look good for the DUP if they made a pact, Brexit was dealt with and they ended up with customs checks. It'd be suicide for the party.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 month ago
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would it swing it Labours way when Corbyn is a known Islamist terrorist sympathiser?
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Why would it swing it Labours way when Corbyn is a known Islamist terrorist sympathiser?
in 2017 the terrorist attacks helped labour quite a bit because the day after they attacked May for cutting 20,000 police which they claimed made attacks like these harder to deal with and stop. It really stuck with people and was a big moment in the campaign (and worth remembering when Labour says you shouldn't poltiisize attacks).

That's not happening this time though because its Boris not May.. he wasn't in goverment when the police numbers were cut, and since hes come to office all hes spoken for is raising them and bringing in harsher sentances. His team also anticipated an backlash like the one May saw, so they went on the offensive straight away, making sure people knew that it was the past Labour goverment who were partially responsible for the situation.

(Original post by TheMcSame)
Hmm interesting.

Maybe it's a case of people not being comfortable enough to disclose they support the Brexit party, data that has poor representation? Idk. Seems kinda odd that support would be so low given that support for the EU is down since the referendum, Boris failed to deliver on his promise (through no fault of his own mind you), a lot of strong labour seats are likely going to be heavily focused on Brexit and not to mention they slammed the MEP elections. Maybe Farage's plan of not contesting Tory seats has massively backfired and the strongest Brexit supporters are in fact in strong Tory areas? I guess it's just a waiting game at this point. Then again, I suppose Farage's plan wasn't to get in power, but rather to steal seats from the other parties to give the Tories a better chance at dealing with Brexit.

I'm not sure about how keen the DUP would be with making another pact with the tories after the latest rumours of custom checks at the border though. I can't imagine it'd look good for the DUP if they made a pact, Brexit was dealt with and they ended up with customs checks. It'd be suicide for the party.
You may be right about the DUP, they did vote against boris a number of times due to not supporting his deal. The problem for the DUP is that if Boris doesn't have enough for a majority, if they don't give him one.. Corbyn will have a chance at forming a goverment and as much as they don't like Boris' deal, the alternative is remain. I suspect they would support Boris on his domestic agenda and in getting a queens speach through, but then be a pain on Brexit.

As for Farage. I think his plan is the same as its always been.. do whats best for farage. He gambled everything on a pact, but when it failed and he saw the people turning against him, and he saw the prospective of being branded as the man who ruined brexit by splitting the vote.. he quickly changed his tune and has been running a hollow campaign ever since. Hes pretty much running as 'only vote for us if you can't stomach voting for the tories.. otherwise vote for them' now.. which is a weak possition, but it doesn't matter. If after the election he wins no MPs, but can claim that he helped Boris into power, then it fits his public image as Mr Brexit, and he can carry on his way.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the bookmakers are giving these odds:

Name:  borisodds.png
Views: 21
Size:  5.0 KB
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by One JC)
Could it mean that Labour gets in as a result of this terror attack?
No. I assume you mean the London Bridge one. Why on earth do you think that would favour Labour?
1. Corbyn weak on defence and security.
2. Khan very polarising.
3. What would Labour have done to prevent it from happening?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (150)
51.72%
No (140)
48.28%

Watched Threads