Aidankp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I have 5 days to submit my A level application and I don't know what I'm going to pick yet. I'm kinda interested in going into finance/business or law when I'm older.

I'm considering Maths, business, Economics and Law at a level, but apparently I should take a science because it'll good on a uni application. If i get good grades, does it matter what subjects I do as long as i get a good grade or should I do a science.

Also, im unsure as to what type of college I should go to, I can stay on at my schools sixth form, which I don't enjoy very much and I want to leave, but will push me and give me support and discipline me for not doing work, or I could go to a further education college where I have all the freedom in the world, but there's no guarantee that I wont get distracted.

I'm not expecting many replies but any help would be much appreciated.
LAllen71
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
4 A Levels will be a lot, unless you take one as an AS.
I take Maths, Further Maths, and Physics, and too am looking into going into Accounting. I was going to do French too, but I couldn't because of a timetable clash. Looking back, I wish I took Economics too, and took Further Maths as a fourth subject.
Business would be good for Law and Accounting, and then Economics would be good for Accounting. Maths, Economics, and Physics would be my recommendation for Accounting. For a Law degree, I'd also recommend English if this interests you, but from what you said, Business (Essays), Law (obviously) (also has Essays), and Physics (shows practical skills, working as a team, etc)
I'd also say to go to Sixth Form, as I feel the support you get there will outperform any support from colleges, but this really does depend on your personal preference!

- LAllen
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aidankp)
Hi,

I have 5 days to submit my A level application and I don't know what I'm going to pick yet. I'm kinda interested in going into finance/business or law when I'm older.

I'm considering Maths, business, Economics and Law at a level, but apparently I should take a science because it'll good on a uni application. If i get good grades, does it matter what subjects I do as long as i get a good grade or should I do a science.

Also, im unsure as to what type of college I should go to, I can stay on at my schools sixth form, which I don't enjoy very much and I want to leave, but will push me and give me support and discipline me for not doing work, or I could go to a further education college where I have all the freedom in the world, but there's no guarantee that I wont get distracted.

Firstly only take 3 A levels. That is all universities ask for. Your big decision is whether to take Business or Economics. Dont take both as universities might not accept them as they are too similar. You will probably find that whatever you choose now you will be able to alter when you receive your GCSE results. The early choosing of subjects is to help schools or colleges with planning. After you get your results you look again at your options and provided your school or college has space they will let you change subjects. Many students do. It might be worth you starting with 4 then dropping 1 after you know what subjects you prefer.

The most important matter when choosing A levels is to take subjects that you will enjoy and do well in. The other consideration is to take subjects that suit your future career path. You need to ensure subjects are the ones universities require. Maths is probably the most useful subject you can take. It is versatile and needed by universities for things like Economics, Accountancy, Computer Science and Engineering. If you intend going into any of these subjects then Maths is pretty much essential. If you want to go into Engineering sometimes Physics is needed as well. For medical type courses you will need Chemistry and Biology. I hope this will help you in some way.

As far as school or college it really depends on the kind of person you are. If you are someone who is self disciplined then college is a good option. It is a halfway house between School and university. It will give you the kind of freedom you have at university and moving to a college will make the move to university easier as you will have moved and had to find different friends already. If you are someone who doesnt have the self discipline to get on with work independently then you might be better staying in school.

Looking at your suggested choice of subjects it appears you are leaning towards a business career. If that is the case I would go with Maths, Economics and Law. I feel Economics is probably better though of than Business although it really doesnt matter. If you excel at Maths then Further Maths might be an option. If you want to keep all Engineering options open and are good at it take Physics. If you are looking at something different to sit with Maths, Economics and Law you could take Politics or Sociology.
ANO-NI-MUS
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Firstly only take 3 A levels. That is all universities ask for. Your big decision is whether to take Business or Economics. Dont take both as universities might not accept them as they are too similar. You will probably find that whatever you choose now you will be able to alter when you receive your GCSE results. The early choosing of subjects is to help schools or colleges with planning. After you get your results you look again at your options and provided your school or college has space they will let you change subjects. Many students do. It might be worth you starting with 4 then dropping 1 after you know what subjects you prefer.

The most important matter when choosing A levels is to take subjects that you will enjoy and do well in. The other consideration is to take subjects that suit your future career path. You need to ensure subjects are the ones universities require. Maths is probably the most useful subject you can take. It is versatile and needed by universities for things like Economics, Accountancy, Computer Science and Engineering. If you intend going into any of these subjects then Maths is pretty much essential. If you want to go into Engineering sometimes Physics is needed as well. For medical type courses you will need Chemistry and Biology. I hope this will help you in some way.

As far as school or college it really depends on the kind of person you are. If you are someone who is self disciplined then college is a good option. It is a halfway house between School and university. It will give you the kind of freedom you have at university and moving to a college will make the move to university easier as you will have moved and had to find different friends already. If you are someone who doesnt have the self discipline to get on with work independently then you might be better staying in school.

Looking at your suggested choice of subjects it appears you are leaning towards a business career. If that is the case I would go with Maths, Economics and Law. I feel Economics is probably better though of than Business although it really doesnt matter. If you excel at Maths then Further Maths might be an option. If you want to keep all Engineering options open and are good at it take Physics. If you are looking at something different to sit with Maths, Economics and Law you could take Politics or Sociology.
Also I would recommend taking Economics over Business. It's a much more respected subject.
Aidankp
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)

Thanks for the replies, your input has helped a lot as I have now ruled out business. I think I'm definitely going to take Maths and Economics, however I've started to wonder whether I should take Computer Science, I do Computer Science at GCSE and I find it very easy. Maybe a Computer Science A level would be better then Law (as I've heard law is not a very respected A level) The Computer Science sector is growing rapidly, and the law option will always be there, as there's no specific requirements. Do you guys think a Computer Science A level, alongside Maths and Economics would be a better option then Law? Alternatively I could take both to begin with and drop one if I didn't like it.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the replies, your input has helped a lot as I have now ruled out business. I think I'm definitely going to take Maths and Economics, however I've started to wonder whether I should take Computer Science, I do Computer Science at GCSE and I find it very easy. Maybe a Computer Science A level would be better then Law (as I've heard law is not a very respected A level) The Computer Science sector is growing rapidly, and the law option will always be there, as there's no specific requirements. Do you guys think a Computer Science A level, alongside Maths and Economics would be a better option then Law? Alternatively I could take both to begin with and drop one if I didn't like it.
Whether you take Law or Computer Studies is entirely your choice. Nearly all top universities require A level Maths for Computer science. Very few insist on CS. Similarly very few ask for A level Law. Your suggestion that Law is seen as a weak subject isnt true. Law is on the preferred subject list for every university that I know of as is Computer Science. You can start with 4 A levels then drop 1 when you know which you prefer.
ImAGiraffe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I was this stressed last year, if it makes you feel any better you can drop a subject after trying it and before a certain point they usually also let you swap them. I was so uncertain about my subjects and was determined to take four. Two weeks in I dropped one and couldn't be happier. Don't stress too much, take what you think, at this moment is the best for you. Don't think that it's final, you will have a chance to change your mind
DoNotMove
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I take Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. I would say that computer science a-level is a decent step up from the GCSE as there is just so so so much content that just needs memorising, whereas you could get by with quite a bit of common sense at GCSE. However, I don't know how this would compare to a subject like Law, which I expect would be content-heavy too.

Depending on what board your school offers for Computer Science, it's 20% coursework. There is not massive focus on programming so if you're all about the programming and really not keen on the theory then I wouldn't recommend. It's pretty dry. I personally enjoy though, as it covers topics that interest me like operating systems and networking. However, I wouldn't take just because you find it easy. It will be boring if you don't really enjoy it.

Maths and Economics are definitely really good choices! But as others have said, take 3 A-Levels, or 3 with an AS. There is really no need for 4 unless you're really passionate about them all and cannot bear to drop one.
Aidankp
Rep:
?
Ok, thanks for your help guys. I think I'm gonna take all 4 initially and then drop the 1 that I like the least.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (66)
27.39%
1 (40)
16.6%
2 (40)
16.6%
3 (33)
13.69%
4 (16)
6.64%
5 (20)
8.3%