helpme111
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
My topic question for EPQ is 'when is the vegan diet considered the healthiest for an individual?'Is there any point in doing an EPQ if i want to apply for medicine.My question isn't related to medicine either so will it come across as if i'm uninterested in medicine??
LAllen71
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This topic would be great for a medicine degree. You can look into the side effects into not eating meat, what medical effects it has, and then ethical issues with meat eating (ethics always comes up in interviews). Not only this, but an EPQ shows extremely good skills, including essay writing and referencing, which is great all throughout university.

- LAllen
helpme111
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by LAllen71)
This topic would be great for a medicine degree. You can look into the side effects into not eating meat, what medical effects it has, and then ethical issues with meat eating (ethics always comes up in interviews). Not only this, but an EPQ shows extremely good skills, including essay writing and referencing, which is great all throughout university.

- LAllen
Okay thank you I will keep this in mind
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by helpme111)
My topic question for EPQ is 'when is the vegan diet considered the healthiest for an individual?'Is there any point in doing an EPQ if i want to apply for medicine.My question isn't related to medicine either so will it come across as if i'm uninterested in medicine??
an EPQ will not help your medicine application. the only way it can is by demonstrating interest and dedication to your chosen subject by giving something for you to talk about in your personal statement - and this is only half-related to the field. my advice is to focus on your 3 A levels in Chem, Bio and ideally maths, as well as your BMAT/UCAT preparation - any time spent on the EPQ will be time you can't spend on this.
LAllen71
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It will help with a personal statement, and learning valuable skills. Assuming you’re doing this in year 12 (or equivalent), it really doesn’t take up much time of your week (about 2 hours/week) and then UCAT can be focussed on over the summer holidays, as well as A Levels.

- LAllen
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by helpme111)
The questions is do you want to do an EPQ? If you do, and you're interested in your topic, then of course it's worth doing, and a medical school will not simply ignore its existence on your application. An EPQ also gives you a chance to develop lots of 'soft' study skills such as independent research ability, time management, project management etc which are crucial skills in order for you to do well at uni. Finally, an investigation based soundly in the science of nutrition is related to medicine.

However, do not do an EPQ if you are doing it merely as a tick-box exercise, or for extra application 'points'. Do it for the right reasons, and it's worth it - otherwise, don't waste your time and the time of your supervisor!
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I agree with reality - if you don’t want to do it for just your own independent studying pleasure don’t bother. There are enough balls you have to juggle to get in for medicine.

My son did his epq on the explanatory gap in the brain. Once he started he simply couldn’t stop. He actually wrote 44,000 words instead of the required 5,000. His obsession cost him with his schoolwork though, so find a balance.

He does however credit the epq for getting his place at Oxford ( along with St. John ambulance). He was actually asked about his epq during the interview and was able to go into quite a bit of technological detail which he wouldn’t have learned in school. This shows important commitment to a medical career- that you are prepared to spend some of your spare time to devote to it when you are busy doing other things.

But it’s not for everyone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.74%
No, but I have thought about it (53)
27.32%
No (93)
47.94%

Watched Threads