For A level biology, in order to get an A, should I have to memorise the textbook? Watch

Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
To get a good mark in an a level biology exam, do I have to memorise everything in the textbook (especially the bullet points). I'm asking this because im worried that the textbook will go far too in depth and there may be some stuff that I dont need to know (some bullet points may be for my understanding). I tried to use the spec, but in my opinion it is very vauge. after i memorise a topic ill do pat paper questions. I'm just not sure if i should skip some parts of the textook out.
Elzon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Azimbrook1)
To get a good mark in an a level biology exam, do I have to memorise everything in the textbook (especially the bullet points). I'm asking this because im worried that the textbook will go far too in depth and there may be some stuff that I dont need to know (some bullet points may be for my understanding). I tried to use the spec, but in my opinion it is very vauge. after i memorise a topic ill do pat paper questions. I'm just not sure if i should skip some parts of the textook out.
Did that for AS and didn’t work well. Memorising the book will probably get you a C or a possibly a B but not anything higher. To access the A and A* you need to do past papers and you should spend the bulk of your time on those after you memorised everything
Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Elzon)
Did that for AS and didn’t work well. Memorising the book will probably get you a C or a possibly a B but not anything higher. To access the A and A* you need to do past papers and you should spend the bulk of your time on those after you memorised everything
When you say 'everything', do you mean every single point in the textbook? or just the key points (from the spec)
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The most important thing is that you understand what you read and can apply it. Learning facts will not get you that far. You need to practice questions and use the knowledge.
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dunno about Biology but for A Level Computer Science I literally memorised the ****ing textbook and only got out with a C. So yeah, as above, make sure you actually understand the **** lmaooo
sd1211
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am doing my A level biology and I only ever make notes using the revision guide and my class notes because the text book goes into WAY too much detail - the people above are right, you could learn everything word for word but if you can't apply it you can't get very high. Learn the content using revision guides instead of textbooks and then sit and do papers and look through the markscheme! Seems to be working well for me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (66)
27.39%
1 (40)
16.6%
2 (40)
16.6%
3 (33)
13.69%
4 (16)
6.64%
5 (20)
8.3%