Ali-liyyah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys. Hope you’re all good. I was just wondering how the IRP in A level Spanish works. I want to look into the portrayal of Franco's regime in Spanish literature but I’m just wondering how you set it out. Is it like a PowerPoint presentation? How do we structure our research?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance x
jostephens
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ali-liyyah)
Hey guys. Hope you’re all good. I was just wondering how the IRP in A level Spanish works. I want to look into the portrayal of Franco's regime in Spanish literature but I’m just wondering how you set it out. Is it like a PowerPoint presentation? How do we structure our research?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance x
Hi!

At the start of researching your IRP, I would find some articles and make notes on them in English, summarising them, since that's what I did.

The exam is set out like this:

Your first part of the IRP is called the presentation. However, you don't present it to a group of people, just the teacher who you're doing the exam with. You will have written your presentation a few months before the exam. You introduce your IRP by saying why you decided to choose this topic really briefly. You then have 2 articles on your topic that offer two different opinions on something. You say when the article was written, the name of the author, what newspaper it was written for, and summarise the author's view on the topic. Then, you should typically say whether you agree with the author or not, and back it up with some evidence.

The second part is follow up questions. This bit is difficult, because your teacher can't mark anything to do with your IRP, so they don't know what you want to be asked, so you need to know pretty much everything about your topic.

Hopefully your teacher will give some specific tips on how to structure your follow up questions. I don't know much on them, because I haven't started writing them yet.

Hope this helps!
Ali-liyyah
Rep:
?
Hey there. Thanks so much. That’s really helpful. Just a quick question about what sort of topics you can do for the IRP. Thanks again x
jostephens
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there. Thanks so much. That’s really helpful. Just a quick question about what sort of topics you can do for the IRP. Thanks again x
Hi!

The topic can be about anything you want, but it's best to do it on something that is interesting, current and has lots of information on. I'm doing mine on La Ley Mordaza which is a controversial law. Others in my class are doing it on animal rights, Catalonia wanting independence, and whether Franco is relevant today. Something interesting that you could do is whether Spanish students should be taught about Franco, because they aren't - due to a law that I can't remember off the top of my head. I'd recommend researching that if you're interested in Franco.

Hope that helps!
Ali-liyyah
Rep:
?
Hey there. Yes this has helped a lot. Thanks so much for your help x
jostephens
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there. Yes this has helped a lot. Thanks so much for your help x
No worries. Good luck with everything! xx
GamerM
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jostephens)
Hi!

The topic can be about anything you want, but it's best to do it on something that is interesting, current and has lots of information on. I'm doing mine on La Ley Mordaza which is a controversial law. Others in my class are doing it on animal rights, Catalonia wanting independence, and whether Franco is relevant today. Something interesting that you could do is whether Spanish students should be taught about Franco, because they aren't - due to a law that I can't remember off the top of my head. I'd recommend researching that if you're interested in Franco.

Hope that helps!
As for the law you couldn't remember, it's called Pacto del Olvido, the pact of forgetting. Hope this helped! ^)^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (124)
27.43%
1 (68)
15.04%
2 (70)
15.49%
3 (73)
16.15%
4 (34)
7.52%
5 (30)
6.64%