Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've taken my Grade 6, and am taking my Grade 7 in December, but when I fill in the UCAS form, will I only get the points for my Grade 6? is it worth me putting down that im taking grade 7, if I'm not getting the points?

Argh- so confused! HELP!

ReputationRep:
    It'll only give you something like 10 extra points... I wouldn't worry too much about it.

ReputationRep:
    You can only put down grades that you have actually achieved - so you can put down grade 6, and whatever standard you were given, but not 'prospective grade 7 candidate' or anything like that.

It's probably worth a small mention in your personal statement if you're that worried about it.

UCAS Music Practical Exam Tariff

Grade 6:
    Pass - 25 : Merit - 40 : Distinction - 45

Grade 7:
    Pass - 40 : Merit - 55 : Distinction - 60

Grade 8:
    Pass - 55 : Merit - 70 : Distinction - 75

ReputationRep:
    Mention it in your PS if you want to.
    But doubt you can do it in the thingamy...
    Awards index

ReputationRep:
    Do the universities you're applying to even do UCAS points? I've done grade 7, and the points I would have gained from that weren't worth anything for my application.

However - it's still worthwhile doing the grade. It's a big achievement, as well as looking good on CVs etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosiePosiePuddingAndPie)
    Do the universities you're applying to even do UCAS points? I've done grade 7, and the points I would have gained from that weren't worth anything for my application.

However - it's still worthwhile doing the grade. It's a big achievement, as well as looking good on CVs etc
    You would put that on your CV? I have grade 8 piano and my Dip. in Sax, but i dont put it down there, i just put in my interests that i play both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    You would put that on your CV? I have grade 8 piano and my Dip. in Sax, but i dont put it down there, i just put in my interests that i play both.
    You did dip in Sax??
    THAT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!
    What kind of stuff did you play??
    this is DipABRSM Right? or TCL?

I just finished my DipAb for Violin

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/

music examination
    Practical-
    Grade 6 = D/45 points, M/40, P/25
    Grade 7 = D/60, M/55, P/40
    Grade 8 = D/75, M70, P/55
    Theoretical-
    Grade 6 = D/15, M/10, P/5
    Grade 7 = D/20, M/15, P/10
    Grade 8 = D/30, M/25, P/20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    Yeah but then I'd add that not only is it an interest, but I've actually achieved something with it. I have an interest in playing piano, but I'm not even grade one standard in that so I would never include it. Grade 7 shows dedication and achievement, I think, so yes - I'd include it. For now at least, since I don't have many previous jobs or anything to talk about on my CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DominicJ)
    You did dip in Sax??
    THAT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!
    What kind of stuff did you play??
    this is DipABRSM Right? or TCL?

I just finished my DipAb for Violin
    Trinity, better syallbus i thought. I did soem of soewto quinch's modern stuff, they ask you to inprov two pieces, mine were based on a camel and a bit (altissimo register and harmonic minor lol) I also did some wynton marsalis' pieces ( you are expected to play peoples work who have influenced you)

It was not a fun experience lol, i stopped playing atraught after i completed it.

ReputationRep:
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???
    YOU STOPPED
    That blows!
    I'm hopefully gonna keep going!

ReputationRep:
    I was slightly cheeky and put down "Pend." for grade 6 piano, as I was just about to take the exam when I sent my application off. It wouldn't have got me any points, but as I'm taking Music I put it down to prove a point.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to put my G8 drums and G5 theory on my UCAS form in the autumn. I don't know if it will do me any good (applying for Maths, and none of my choices accept points), but thought I may as well stick them down as they are qualifications after all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I've done my Grade 8 with distinction on violin!

85 Ucas points already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    this is related to this thread (sorry for the small sidetrack) but it'll only take a second to answer

say someone has taken grade 6, 7 and 8, and received a pass in all of them, does this person's pass in grade 6 and 7 get discounted, or do all the points for each pass get added together and put on the score, so will this person get either 55 (grade 8 pass only) or 120 (pass in grade 6, 7 and 8).

basically jsut wondering if doing a higher grade makes lower grades be discounted....
    Nah, you can't add them up I'm afraid.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by evissa)
    I've taken my Grade 6, and am taking my Grade 7 in December, but when I fill in the UCAS form, will I only get the points for my Grade 6? is it worth me putting down that im taking grade 7, if I'm not getting the points?

Argh- so confused! HELP!
    You'd only get points for your Grade 6. I was taking grades/diplomas after I sent my application off, so I put them in that section as 'Pending' with the dates when I would be taking the exams. It made sense for me to do that, as I was applying for Music courses.

If you're not applying for Music, it may not worth putting it down in that section, but you could always write a sentence in your personal statement saying you will be doing your Grade 7 in December

Btw, bear in mind that it's up to the university to decide whether they count those UCAS points. Some of them don't according to a newspaper article I read

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.