The Student Room Group

MSc in Finance at University of Westminster or Queen Mary?

I need advice. I have applied for Masters to both:

1. MSc in Behavioural Finance (CFA Pathway) at Queen Mary

2. MSc in Investment and Risk Finance (CFA Pathway) at University of Westminster

I have received offers from both - unconditional offer from Westminster and conditional offer from Queen Mary. Condition is to receive final grade above 4.75 (2:1). I currently have 4.94 and think it's achievable, yet it makes me nervous as it's a small difference and, what is more, I'd have to decline unconditional offer.

For reference:
1:1 = 5.75 to 6.00
2:1 = 4.75 to 5.75
2:2 = 3.75 to 4.75

I'm interested in both degrees, location of both universities works fine for me. Yet given the offers I have I find it difficult to decide.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Reply 1
Ask for more time to accept the unconditional offer. You can accept it now as well and just decline it in case you would like to go to Queen Mary if/when you meet their requirements. The only problem is that they will probably ask you for a non-refundable deposit if you accept it now (payable within a month or so). So, just kindly ask them for more time before you make your decision.
Original post by Sentenced_to
Ask for more time to accept the unconditional offer. You can accept it now as well and just decline it in case you would like to go to Queen Mary if/when you meet their requirements. The only problem is that they will probably ask you for a non-refundable deposit if you accept it now (payable within a month or so). So, just kindly ask them for more time before you make your decision.

I have 20 days to accept the unconditional offer (Westminster) and 2 months to reply to Queen Mary (from today Dec 8). I don't think a deposit will be required as I qualify as a home student. Even if I get more time I will have probably until beginning of Feb which doesn't help me much as I won't know my final grade until I pass all my exams in July.

With all that in mind I find making this decision on my own quite challenging. I believe Queen Mary has better rating overall, yet would like to hear more opinions on the matter. :smile:
Reply 3
It has not been my experience that being classified as a home/eu student waives the requirement of a deposit after the acceptance of an unconditional offer. If you are sure that you are not going to pay a deposit, just go ahead and accept both offers. You can withdraw from the one that you wish when the time comes to make your final choice.

Also, if I were you I would go to Queen Mary between these two, UNLESS you prefer/think that the Westminster programme of study is more relevant to your needs.
(edited 4 years ago)
Having being studied Investment and Risk Finance at Westminster I can honestly recommend you this course. What makes me say this is the experience most of the teachers from this course have in the financial industry. This is a big advantage as they can speak with students not just from an academic point of view, but also from having previously worked in banks/rating agencies/ consultancies etc. The facilities and learning material are also quite good, with a big Bloomberg terminal room and access to loads of programming/statistics/financial software tools. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending