Your Opinions on Online Dating Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A lot of my friends are on online dating. I don't know why I just find it really superficial. It's just the vibe I get. I am a guy. It kind of takes away from the "story" in my view. I have been in relationships with girls, I just always feel the online dating scene is so ... polluted I guess.

Was wondering what people thought!
Catherine1973
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Met my other half 10 years ago on online dating, it still makes a nice story for everyone. We’re both techy geeky so it seems normal to others we met this way.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I actually met my boyfriend on here so I'm not against it. There's no chance we would have ever crossed paths organically offline and my values have never aligned so perfectly with another person's before - and I've been playing the dating game approx 13 years at this point.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sinfonietta)
I actually met my boyfriend on here so I'm not against it. There's no chance we would have ever crossed paths organically offline and my values have never aligned so perfectly with another person's before - and I've been playing the dating game approx 13 years at this point.
I suppose TSR is different to dating sites.

(Original post by Catherine1973)
Met my other half 10 years ago on online dating, it still makes a nice story for everyone. We’re both techy geeky so it seems normal to others we met this way.
Do you think online dating today is the same as it was then when it was more niche
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well I’ve obviously not done online dating for 10 years! I think now with tinder it’s a bit different, that’s just hook ups really. An actual dating site like plenty of fish or match.com is (in theory) more for people look long fit relationships.
But I went on tons of dates snd got the impression most of the guys would probably have sex at end of meet 1, wether they wanted to actually date you or not.
In the end I found it more like job hunting! A chore rather than fun meeting lots of people for quick drinks and coffees after work.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Catherine1973)
Well I’ve obviously not done online dating for 10 years! I think now with tinder it’s a bit different, that’s just hook ups really. An actual dating site like plenty of fish or match.com is (in theory) more for people look long fit relationships.
But I went on tons of dates snd got the impression most of the guys would probably have sex at end of meet 1, wether they wanted to actually date you or not.
In the end I found it more like job hunting! A chore rather than fun meeting lots of people for quick drinks and coffees after work.
Yeah my vibe is that it is a lot of "trial and error" ... for me ... kind of ruins the story.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A lot of my friends are on online dating. I don't know why I just find it really superficial. It's just the vibe I get. I am a guy. It kind of takes away from the "story" in my view. I have been in relationships with girls, I just always feel the online dating scene is so ... polluted I guess.

Was wondering what people thought!
I've been on a couple of dates through online dating, and all of them have been nice people... but not exactly how they presented on their profile/through messages. They all looked like their photos, but their personalities weren't aligned with how their profiles made them out to be. If I was going to online date in the future, I'd probably meet up early on to stop myself building up a picture of them in my head. At least if you don't know too much you can just chalk it up to experience.
cheerIeader
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Embarrassing.

Find someone IRL, hun.
IH8Studying
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope I wouldn’t do it ever
How disappointing would it be to meet them and find out they’re incredibly boring IRL
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cheerIeader)
Embarrassing.

Find someone IRL, hun.
yeah for sure I would prefer real life ... just everyone I know seems to go for the online dating scene and I don't really get it
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
If I was going to online date in the future, I'd probably meet up early on to stop myself building up a picture of them in my head. At least if you don't know too much you can just chalk it up to experience.
Yep that’s pretty much what I did, would exchange a few emails then arrange to meet ASAP for a quick drink after work.
It’s a numbers game. You may meet tons of people in person each day that are pleasant but no spark so why should online be much different, it just does the initial searching (and that they are, in theory, interested in dating)
Not sure I would have done it do much in my early 20s, it’s more usual when older, friends have settled down more and nights out are more about meeting friends than meeting opposite sex.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Frustration and too many bad first dates
Mikle
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think even with the emergence of new dating sites and dating apps, there are few online dating websites and dating apps which offer options catering to non-heterosexuals, such as lesbian relationship and gay relationship. Just read this article https://www.happymatches.com/blog/le...n-dating-sites
Last edited by Mikle; 1 month ago
Lightskinbrudda
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IH8Studying)
Nope I wouldn’t do it ever
How disappointing would it be to meet them and find out they’re incredibly boring IRL
its not that they are boring, its that they may say they're 6'0 and end up 5'0 or be like 300lbs lol
minichef30
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it's super useful for when you can't easily meet people irl. For example, London is so fast-paced its hard to find someone to vibe with; no one seems to have time for each other! But yes ideally I would meet people through mutuals, uni, etc etc.. but thats not always possible. Also some of the apps are not so 'hookup' orientated such as Hinge which appears to be more genuine to me than tinder
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lightskinbrudda)
its not that they are boring, its that they may say they're 6'0 and end up 5'0 or be like 300lbs lol
Lol that’s not the biggest problem

imagine having to fake laugh the whole day
Lightskinbrudda
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IH8Studying)
Lol that’s not the biggest problem

imagine having to fake laugh the whole day
its cool, man has to fake laugh at my classmates jokes. even worse, fake smile.
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lightskinbrudda)
its cool, man has to fake laugh at my classmates jokes. even worse, fake smile.
Ugh that’s the wuuuurrrsssssstttttr
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I'm not against it but personally I wouldn't use it.
I still prefer first hand interactions.
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Haven't used it but I know plenty of people who have/do. It's mainly for women and attractive men.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (128)
27.71%
1 (69)
14.94%
2 (71)
15.37%
3 (74)
16.02%
4 (37)
8.01%
5 (30)
6.49%