The Student Room Group

lose weight

Most effective way to lose weight? Is it possible to lose weight if it is genetically inherited? Any diet plans or oral supplements suggestion? Thank you!!!
Calories in needs to be less than calories out.
eat less, move more
people often mistake dehydration for hunger, so make sure your drinking plenty of water
Eat the right things (fruit, vegetables and plenty of fibre will keep you full) and make sure calories taken in are less than calories going out (but bear in mind your body burns a heck ton of calories per day just keeping you alive so don't completely overdo it). You should be doing plenty of exercise, if you don't fancy leaving the house to do that you can find plenty of home workout videos on YouTube. Hope this helped, best of luck (:
Losing weight, while something that millions of people around the world struggle with, is at its core very basic. In order to lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories than you burn in a day. Regardless of exercise, our bodies burn thousands of calories per day, and if you don't completely replenish those calories, your body will be forced to break down your fat to "survive." This is how weight loss scientifically works, but it's very hard for some people to stick to a certain number of calories per day. Staying motivated is the most important thing to do when trying to lose weight because you won't stick to eating healthy/working out without motivation. I personally struggle motivating myself everyday, so signing up for challenges, visualizing myself skinny, and talking to other people trying to lose weight are some of the things that keep me focused on my goals: https://www.openfit.com/how-to-stay-motivated-to-lose-weight
All of what the above have said about calories in vs calories out! Stay well clear of any restrictive diet plans or weight loss pills.

The best method is consistency. There's no super quick fix to losing and keeping the weight off- if you go back to old habits after you've lost weight then you'll just put it all back on.

I guess there's two sides of it- eating and exercise. In terms of food, you don't need to do anything extreme. Try making a few healthy swaps like if you add sugar to drinks or drink a lot of sugary drinks, reduce the amount. Increase the amount of veggies in meals. Personally I don't eat after 8pm because I struggle to stop when I hit the snacks at night. Aim to find a way of eating that keeps you satisfied. You don't have to cut out biscuits, cakes, sweets etc., just try and keep them in small amounts if you want them rather than a big blow-out 'cheat meal' (or day) once a week that's likely to end up throwing your calorie deficit out the window.

Exercise also doesn't need to be extreme. You just need to move more. Running, going to the gym, following workout videos on youtube at home, vigorous cleaning, going on walks....if it gets you moving it all counts!

Depending on your start weight, losing 1-2lbs a week is generally considered a safe rate. If you're quite a bit overweight then the rate may be faster, if you're not that big then loss will be slower.

Above all else, be consistent in what you do to build good habits and know that weight loss takes time and your weight naturally fluctuates so expect to see some rapid loss at stages, some plateaus, even some increases (if you eaten a lot of salt for example, your body may retain liquid. It's temporary, don't let it throw you off).

Quick Reply

Latest