Is making notes worth it? Watch

Ectover_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For year 13 A level biology and Chemistry

I find myself spending so long making notes that I don’t get enough time to do the amount of past papers I hope to do.

I spend 65-70% of my time making notes and the rest doing past papers.

Should I stop and just read the textbook then do tons of past papers/ active recall?

Any help would be much appreciated

Helplz333
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ectover_)
For year 13 A level biology and Chemistry

I find myself spending so long making notes that I don’t get enough time to do the amount of past papers I hope to do.

I spend 65-70% of my time making notes and the rest doing past papers.

Should I stop and just read the textbook then do tons of past papers/ active recall?

Any help would be much appreciated
Hey, I also find taking notes takes me so long to do. It depends on how you go about it really. If your notes are literally exactly what the textbook says, then you might want to consider asking yourself is it really worth making these notes when you can just read from the textbook. But if you feel that your notes make it easier for you to understand and they are better summarised versions of the textbook, then it might be worth making the notes. And remember, making notes is a form of revision too, usually you will notice as you write you are revising at the same time too.
Ectover_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Helplz333)
Hey, I also find taking notes takes me so long to do. It depends on how you go about it really. If your notes are literally exactly what the textbook says, then you might want to consider asking yourself is it really worth making these notes when you can just read from the textbook. But if you feel that your notes make it easier for you to understand and they are better summarised versions of the textbook, then it might be worth making the notes. And remember, making notes is a form of revision too, usually you will notice as you write you are revising at the same time too.
I usually write what the textbook says but with more arrows, colours and a different structure. Detail wise, it is identical to the textbook. I do struggle to cut things down because I need to know all of it. That’s why I’m stuck in this dilemma to as wether they are acctually useful or a waste of time.
Helplz333
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ectover_)
I usually write what the textbook says but with more arrows, colours and a different structure. Detail wise, it is identical to the textbook. I do struggle to cut things down because I need to know all of it. That’s why I’m stuck in this dilemma to as wether they are acctually useful or a waste of time.
If you think that how you structure your notes makes a big difference to you when you revise and makes it a lot easier for you to revise then i would say make the notes. But if you think that you will be able to manage by reading from the textbook alone (despite the fact that its a different structure and less colours) and be able to revise just from that then I would say dont bother making notes.
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
writing things out helps me, so I always do notes
sxhxl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do bio and chem also but I never write notes, i generally just learn the content from the revision guide, do some questions and then summarise the content I've learnt is important to remember and that I might forget onto one sheet of a4 for each topic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (74)
28.57%
1 (40)
15.44%
2 (41)
15.83%
3 (38)
14.67%
4 (17)
6.56%
5 (20)
7.72%
6 (6)
2.32%
7+ (23)
8.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise