The Student Room Group

Are gap years worth it?

I’m applying for philosophy and a language but I’m not too sure if I should apply with a deferred entry.
I want to do a graphic/game design internship in Tokyo but the duration would be only be around 3 months. I don’t know if it would be smarter taking up an internship during summer or breaks in University, or if I should dedicate a whole year out of education for something I’d only be doing for 1/4 of a year.
The reason I want to do it is because I’m extremely interested in digital marketing. Business and Marketing degrees (from my research) seemed just about as useful to my career goals as any other degree so I decided to choose an essay subject + a language based on my academic strengths.
My dream job would be something equated to a creative director of a company. Literally any company.
This means that creative work experience within international businesses is something I obviously want, given my degree choice.
I’m not really sure what to do, because I’m really scared about moving out irl.
Reply 1
if you spend 3 months of your gap year in Tokyo, what would you need to do for the other 9 or so months?

Some people would have to work in order to fund the trip/flights/accommodation - is there any work available for you locally to raise funds for your trip?

fear is a tricky thing to deal with. have you discussed the fear with anyone else? family? friends? Do you speak Japanese or have contacts in Japan already?
Reply 2
Original post by errrr99
if you spend 3 months of your gap year in Tokyo, what would you need to do for the other 9 or so months?

Some people would have to work in order to fund the trip/flights/accommodation - is there any work available for you locally to raise funds for your trip?

fear is a tricky thing to deal with. have you discussed the fear with anyone else? family? friends? Do you speak Japanese or have contacts in Japan already?

I have enough saved up to cover it and I plan on working for a couple more months just in case.
My Japanese is only conversational and it’s pretty basic, but the internship offers 1 months in a language school and 2 months doing the internship, which I found appealing.
I’ve spoken with family but I’m always met with a shrug and a “you do you” :/
I just don’t know if I should defer my entry now, or wait till I graduate.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by spxectrive
I have enough saved up to cover it and I plan on working for a couple more months just in case.
My Japanese is only conversational and it’s pretty basic, but the internship offers 1 months in a language school and 2 months doing the internship, which I found appealing.
I’ve spoken with family but I’m always met with a shrug and a “you do you” :/
I just don’t know if I should defer my entry now, or wait till I graduate.

you should do it 100% sure. It can only benefit you in many ways. Dw about deferred entry, you'll have plenty of time to do your studies. And think of the 9 months you have left... you can do incredible things. You never know what will happen when you go to japan, and so on... Try to find a job, try travelling, do whatever... read books (if you'r going in philosophy you ll probably like reading while you have free time, and it will prepare you). I'm in philosophy, and if you have 9 months free time, this is my advice; read Cioran's 16 books (it's around 1800 pages and it'll change your view of the world). Philosophy teachers say his books are not famous because society tries to bann him, as they can change your mind so much. But whatever... find stuff to do and it'll be worth it. You can do voluntary work, do humanitary work for red cross as volunteer and so on... Even if you can't find anything, plenty of opportunities exist, you just have to go look in the right direction
I think based on what you’ve said, go for a summer internship if you can and don’t bother with a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending