30th TSR MHOC General Election, The Debate. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
At 15:40 today, the leaders of all four parties, plus the independent candidates, will be taking part in an election debate.

They will first be invited to give an opening statement, then will answer five questions, before rounding off with a closing statement.

Discussion of the debate thread, where you can ask the candidates questions!!!

Vote here!!!

Ill now invite the candidates to give a short 200 word opening statement.

Aph
Baron of Sealand
CatusStarbright
JMR2019.
SoggyCabbages
TheRadishPrince
Mr T 999
barnetlad
Last edited by Andrew97; 1 month ago
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, I'm the leader of the TSR Conservative and Unionist Party. This is an election about Brexit, a Brexit we are committed to delivering, but on TSR, it's more about how you'd like our country to move forward. We will end unrestricted freedom of movement, we will be the world champion for free trade, and we are the party with the toughest stance against terrorism.

Voting for Labour is just voting for a dead party propping up the Lib Dems. Voting for the Lib Dems is voting for anything but actually doing anything about Brexit - they cannot stop it on TSR so they effectively have no policy. We are the party with the highest output in bills and motions this past term, with more active members than several other parties *combined*. If anything, a vote for us is a vote for a party that will actually do something, about anything.

Some people like to paint us as extremists, but tell me, what's so extreme about respecting the result of a referendum? We live in an inclusive society, what's more inclusive than allowing everyone to have an equal voice? Haven't our nation suffered enough from all these Brexit uncertainties?

It's time for us to move forward. Vote Conservative today for the way forward.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Posted on behalf of Mr T 999
Opening Statement
As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty: a world in which all individuals are control over their own lives. We believe that respect for individuals rights is essential for a free and prosperous world. We want all members of society to have opportunities to achieve economic success.

A free and competitive markets allocate resources in the most efficient manner. The only proper role of government in the economic realm is to protect property rights, adjudicate disputes, and provide a legal framework in which voluntary trade is protected.

CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good afternoon members of the House and members of the public. I stand before you today as an independent candidate seeking to represent the good people of Britain, who want a candidate they can trust. I stand for equal opportunities for all, protecting the rule of law and encouraging business growth. I stand for preventing the erosion of civil liberties and above all; I stand for individual freedom.

Britain is a great country, with a rich history and a distinctive culture. That being said, our country is not perfect and there is always room for improvement. Our country faces challenges in this modern world – maintaining high quality public services, striving for equal opportunities, ensuring everyone has enough to live on – and at the moment, we are facing huge legal, social and political upheaval as we exit the European Union.

As a Member of Parliament, I will do my best to ensure that this House does all it can to improve the lives of British citizens, and that it ensures as much stability as possible in these tumultuous times.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good afternoon everyone. I am Barnetlad, an independent candidate standing to ensure there is a Green Voice in the TSR House of Commons. In the last parliament I was the Culture Secretary, and introduced a bill to make animal cruelty a more serious offence in line of the wishes of the RSPCA (and others), and launched a consultation on access to museums amongst other things.

The climate emergency is real and we should act now. The actions we should take in reducing carbon emissions will create jobs in this country, will improve health, and also make us much less dependent on foreign regimes for our energy. Actions that start at a local level, such as more renewable energy, planting more trees on all large landholdings, on energy efficiency in housing, on ending diesel taxis.

I also want a referendum on the EU withdrawal agreement, with an option to remain, and in one I would campaign to Remain. Our NHS and social care sector and many other parts of the economy benefit from non-UK people, and leaving the EU means less co-operation over security and the environment.

Vote for Barnetlad for a Green Voice in the House.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen of the public. I'm afraid that I shalln't be debating much here. I am currently in the middle of a shift at a charity shop I volunteer at and as such am unable to partake to a great extent.

I want to start by saying that I, Aph am the most experienced mhocer here today. Having previously served as Foreign, Home and Defence Secretaries, as well as being very briefly Prime Minister I am a candidate who knows the system and how it works and that knowledge is why I am an independent.

The parties will tell you that you should ignore me because I can only get one seat. Whilst it's true I can only win one seat I will actually fight and debate for you. I will stand up for my beliefs and for the will of the glorious people of TSR.

Would you rather elect a single lion or a flock of sheep? Would you stand by me in making TSR UK a glorious country once again? Would you give me your support and your vote?
TheRadishPrince
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good afternoon everyone.

I am proud to be entering this election as your Prime Minister, and as the Leader of the Liberal Democrats coming off of one of the greatest results in our history.

The Liberal Democrats shall stand for you just as we have for more than a decade to ensure that you have a great future filled with opportunity, a future with a healthy environment and a future for everyone to look forward to, together.

We shall always offer you a balanced leadership that understands your needs and works to meet them as opposed to (for example), throwing the NHS to the wolves in order to benefit those only at the top.

A Liberal Democrat vote is all that will stop a disastrous Tory rule over Parliament and now is the time to make your vote count.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Time for the first question.

1. What are your plans for the NHS?

Baron of Sealand
CatusStarbright
TheRadishPrince
Aph
barnetlad
SoggyCabbages
Mr T 999
JMR2019.
Last edited by Andrew97; 1 month ago
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You will have heard a lot of pledges on increasing funding for the NHS, and of course it needs more resources allocated to it, but beyond that, we have several new policies proposed:

1. NHS England and NHS Wales will be merged to facilitate better allocation of resources. As a result, people in Wales will be required to pay a small fee for their prescription, as people do under NHS England.

2. Following the resounding success of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) in creating collapsing HIV infection rates in Australia and the US, PrEP will be offered to high-risk populations on NHS England without a quota, as it is the case in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

3. NHS accounts for immigrants on a fixed term visa (renewable or nonrenewable) will have a terminal date based on the visa. Those users will have to renew their account with a new visa if one is granted before or after the initial one’s expiry date. At the moment, foreign nationals on a visa still have an active NHS account with access to its services, even when they are no longer residents in the UK and are only visiting as tourists.

4. The armed forces contribute to the safety of everyone in our country and guarantee our existence on the world stage. Yet, many suffer from mental health issues upon retiring from the military, with the NHS’s general mental health provisions not necessarily be speedy enough for some of them. There will be better mental health support for veterans by allowing them to pre-sign up for the service while on active duty overseas.

5. Medicinal drugs with proven safety will be legalized and those with proven benefits will be supported.

6. In order to make the NHS more financially viable, prescription costs will be increased based on increased price levels.

The NHS is a system that has worked in the UK, and as an immigrant, it was one of the things that impressed me the most when I moved to Britain. I would certainly like to see it thrive and you can be sure that the NHS will be protected under me.
Last edited by Baron of Sealand; 1 month ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Posted on behalf of Mr T 999 (Libertarian)

We will clamp down on health tourism which estimated costs the NHS £2 billion a year. Individuals coming to the UK will need to ensure they have adequate health insurance. We plan to encourage people to use private health insurance through tax relief. These measures will reduce the number of people using the NHS, thus, reduce the strain and the burden on the NHS making it more efficient.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are your plans for the NHS?

I want to see greater funding, especially in primary care, more GPs above all else. The waiting time for appointments leads to people going to A+E who need not go there, or putting off an appointment where quick diagnosis enables early treatment.

The NHS and allied services such as social care need to retain staff and ensure that they can attract new ones. So my policies of seeking to Remain in the EU (after a referendum), in regulation of housing including rented property, and for better public transport are all important for the NHS.

I want to see more on health prevention. Asthma and other respiratory conditions are often caused by diesel fumes and I want to end diesel taxis as a first step. Improved public transport including railways in the public sector. Less red meat consumption. And for mental health, I want to end the practice of putting clocks back in the winter which I feel contributes to seasonal affective disorder.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Posted on behalf of Mr T 999 (Libertarian)

We will clamp down on health tourism which estimated costs the NHS £2 billion a year. Individuals coming to the UK will need to ensure they have adequate health insurance. We plan to encourage people to use private health insurance through tax relief. These measures will reduce the number of people using the NHS, thus, reduce the strain and the burden on the NHS making it more efficient.
I would like to point out the fact that health tourism, or more commonly medical tourism, is not necessarily a problem.

Usually, a medical tourist is one who visits another country for a medical treatment by paying for it. This type of medical tourism contributes to our economy and so we would support it for the private sector. The question here I believe then would be why does the Libbers propose if a foreigner is ill and taken to the hospital in the UK, should they pay up first?
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firstly, I should say that I do not support the idea of opening up the NHS to US companies, as I believe this would be a mistake. The US healthcare system is a world away from ours, with a different culture and different attitudes towards healthcare which I believe are entirely incompatible with our own.

If I were a traditional candidate who believed in repeating what I thought would get me votes, then here I would pledge massive funding to the NHS. Blah blah blah.

I don’t believe that throwing huge sums of money at a problem is a realistic solution. That spending seems to get tossed into the abyss – who knows what it actually spent on. I agree that the NHS could do with more funding, but it needs intelligent funding. It needs funding in structured ways that ensures that money makes a real difference and doesn’t just disappear.

In an ideal world, I would completely overhaul it. I would make the bureaucratic systems more efficient. I would massively upgrade its infrastructure and technical systems. I would revolutionise it from the inside out to properly modernise it and improve its efficiently and effectiveness. If you’re thinking that this is unrealistic, then sadly I think you are right. It would be very costly in the short-term and would require a lot of work and organisation for a lengthy amount of time.

What is more realistic is that we can invest in more staff, to ease the burden of the existing staff. I plan on reintroducing nursing bursaries, and supporting the current medical school expansion project which is currently providing more places to study medicine at university. I will support the introduction of small fines for missed appointments without a valid justification, to ensure that NHS resources are not being wasted due to patients failing to turn up.

I would also consult with existing professionals to see what they think would help them, because it is all well and good politicians like myself saying what they need, but none of us have lived experience working as a healthcare professional. It is important that those affected by change help drive that change.
TheRadishPrince
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Plans for the NHS

The NHS is well known to be in turmoil right now from years of shameful underfunding, and the Liberal Democrats plan to fix this.

We plan to invest an extra £7bn a year into our health services focusing on mental health in particular - something that has long been shoved aside despite it's importance to every one of us.

We also plan to increase wages for nurses and junior doctors to ensure our NHS workers are happier and able to do the very best job they can as nobody in this country deserves less than the best care.

The NHS is something that I and my party truly believe is one of the best healthcare systems on the planet and we will not stand idly by and let other parties push it into privatisation, or a future trade deal with foreign powers.

The Liberal Democrats will always stand to protect our amazing health system for years to come.
Last edited by TheRadishPrince; 1 month ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
I plan to post the next question at 16:25-16:30. Candiadates in the meantime are encouraged to debate one another,
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
I would like to point out the fact that health tourism, or more commonly medical tourism, is not necessarily a problem.

Usually, a medical tourist is one who visits another country for a medical treatment by paying for it. This type of medical tourism contributes to our economy and so we would support it for the private sector. The question here I believe then would be why does the Libbers propose if a foreigner is ill and taken to the hospital in the UK, should they pay up first?
A valid question for the Libertarians I feel. How could someone in a road crash taken to hospital be able to prove they are a UK national (or not), for example? Or indeed as a Polish national was one of the brave people who intervened in the London Bridge attack, what if he had received serious injuries?
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen of the public. I'm afraid that I shalln't be debating much here. I am currently in the middle of a shift at a charity shop I volunteer at and as such am unable to partake to a great extent.

I want to start by saying that I, Aph am the most experienced mhocer here today. Having previously served as Foreign, Home and Defence Secretaries, as well as being very briefly Prime Minister I am a candidate who knows the system and how it works and that knowledge is why I am an independent.

The parties will tell you that you should ignore me because I can only get one seat. Whilst it's true I can only win one seat I will actually fight and debate for you. I will stand up for my beliefs and for the will of the glorious people of TSR.

Would you rather elect a single lion or a flock of sheep? Would you stand by me in making TSR UK a glorious country once again? Would you give me your support and your vote?
Does the system work by declaring yourself Prime Minister illegitimately without recognition from in and out of the government, or even within your own party at the time?

I would certainly say you have experienced being a member of so many parties.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)

Health tourism is a problem when it's costing us £2bn to treat them. That money can be used improve our NHS. We are not a "world health service" so anyone can come over and get free treatment. Many developed countries have a such a policy which restricts their health service for their own citizens and ensuring foreigners have private health insurance we one of the countries who do not have such a policy.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Firstly, I should say that I do not support the idea of opening up the NHS to US companies, as I believe this would be a mistake. The US healthcare system is a world away from ours, with a different culture and different attitudes towards healthcare which I believe are entirely incompatible with our own.

If I were a traditional candidate who believed in repeating what I thought would get me votes, then here I would pledge massive funding to the NHS. Blah blah blah.

I don’t believe that throwing huge sums of money at a problem is a realistic solution. That spending seems to get tossed into the abyss – who knows what it actually spent on. I agree that the NHS could do with more funding, but it needs intelligent funding. It needs funding in structured ways that ensures that money makes a real difference and doesn’t just disappear.

In an ideal world, I would completely overhaul it. I would make the bureaucratic systems more efficient. I would massively upgrade its infrastructure and technical systems. I would revolutionise it from the inside out to properly modernise it and improve its efficiently and effectiveness. If you’re thinking that this is unrealistic, then sadly I think you are right. It would be very costly in the short-term and would require a lot of work and organisation for a lengthy amount of time.

What is more realistic is that we can invest in more staff, to ease the burden of the existing staff. I plan on reintroducing nursing bursaries, and supporting the current medical school expansion project which is currently providing more places to study medicine at university. I will support the introduction of small fines for missed appointments without a valid justification, to ensure that NHS resources are not being wasted due to patients failing to turn up.

I would also consult with existing professionals to see what they think would help them, because it is all well and good politicians like myself saying what they need, but none of us have lived experience working as a healthcare professional. It is important that those affected by change help drive that change.
We Libers have already introduced into law a policy of missed appointments fines.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mr T 999)
Health tourism is a problem when it's costing us £2bn to treat them. That money can be used improve our NHS. We are not a "world health service" so anyone can come over and get free treatment. Many developed countries have a such a policy which restricts their health service for their own citizens and ensuring foreigners have private health insurance we one of the countries who do not have such a policy.
I have been to 69 countries and territories in the world, and have been to the health services of 6 of them. I've also applied for a visa to 9 countries. I have never once been asked to have medical insurance.

Sometimes I do wonder where the real life UKIP gets their facts from.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (65)
27.31%
1 (39)
16.39%
2 (40)
16.81%
3 (32)
13.45%
4 (16)
6.72%
5 (20)
8.4%