30th TSR MHOC General Election, The Debate. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
On the NHS.

I believe we need a health system that works. That is why I plan to introduce franchising into the NHS. The state and private enterprise can big for contracts and the operator who offers the best value for money will be awarded the contract. We need a fast and efficient NHS and that means introducing competition.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mr T 999)
We Libers have already introduced into law a policy of missed appointments fines.
A law which I would like to see repealed as it probably costs almost as much to administer and does not tackle the causes of missed appointments.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
I have been to 69 countries and territories in the world, and have been to the health services of 6 of them. I've also applied for a visa to 9 countries. I have never once been asked to have medical insurance.

Sometimes I do wonder where the real life UKIP gets their facts from.
I'm sure you have been to "69 countries" :rolleyes:
Last edited by Mr T 999; 2 months ago
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
2.How do you intend to deal with the Brexit issue?

Aph
Baron of Sealand
CatusStarbright
barnetlad
TheRadishPrince
Mr T 999
SoggyCabbages
JMR2019.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Posted on behalf of Mr T 999

We will respect what the people voted for that is to leave the EU. It is foolish to keep thinking the EU will give us a better deal and wasting time trying to renegotiate with them. We must leave with a no-deal and end Brexit once and for all!

Posted on behalf of Catusstarbirght.

As things stand, we have to leave the European Union. We have the referendum that gives us the mandate to do so and, short of another referendum, that remains the mandate we have to go with.

I would not revoke Article 50 or support the revocation of Article 50 without another referendum, and this stands even if the Liberal Democrats were to win a majority in this election. The idea that a general election mandate would provide a Brexit mandate for me promotes the idea that this GE is just a proxy for another referendum. People vote on more issues than Brexit in a general election, and I think this view forgets that.

Therefore, as things stand, we must leave the EU to honour that referendum outcome, and I would prefer to leave with a deal than without.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
On TSR, we cannot do much about Brexit, as we're bounded by whatever happens in the real life. But our stance is that we must have Brexit done as early as possible. The delays are just contributing to the uncertainties which alone harm our economy. We also cannot move forward to discuss other issues with Brexit still being the biggest topic of all.

We have the following immigration policies following Brexit:

1. A quota will be set on asylum seekers every year. The UK mainland is surrounded by safe countries, which means it is under no obligation to accept any asylum seeker who does not arrive by air. While we remain compassionate about people in need and will continue to accept asylum seekers, a quota will be imposed.

Only asylum seekers travelling straight from a country that is unsafe for them without passing through a country safe for them will have their claim processed.

Asylum seekers from the former British Empire and the current Commonwealth of Nations will go through the existing system without facing a quota.

For the rest of the world, there will be a strict limit placed on asylum seekers every year, with people not making the cut deported to either their country of origin or a third country that agrees to process their application. The quota for 2020 will 5,000, for 2021, 4,000, for 2022, 3,000, for 2021, 2,000, and from 2022 onwards, 1,000.

2. Foreign nationals who offer services to the British armed forces for 5 years or more will receive a “settled” status and be eligible to apply for British citizenship, regardless of where they were stationed in the past decade. This will include those who assist the armed forces by acting as translators.

In other words, they will be able to join the armed forces provided that they pass the security check and other standard requirements, without needing to be a Commonwealth citizen or be resident in the UK for 5 years prior.

3. Unrestricted freedom of movement from the EU will end. Proper immigration checks will be imposed, except on the island of Ireland.

4. EU citizens with settled status will receive physical methods of proving settled status, ie biometric identification card. At the moment, it is more difficult for them to produce a ready document at all times, and they are, of course, not eligible for a British passport.

5. The settled status will be automatically given to EU citizens resident and contributing to the UK for over 10 years, while the others still need to register for it.

6. British citizenship will be retroactively granted to the children of EU citizens born in the UK.

In order to stimulate our economy, we also several tax policies:

1. Offer tax-breaks for new factories outside London. Both for our economy and the environment, we will encourage more Made in UK products. As London is currently very densely populated and is our economic centre, we would like to develop the rest of the UK by encouraging new factories to be built in other parts of the UK.

2. Small taxes such as Air Passenger Duty, Betting and Gambling Duty, Banking Levy will be abolished,

3. National insurance and income tax will be merged, affecting approximately £16 billion. To do this, the national insurance threshold will be increased from £8,000 to £15,000 to match income tax and then the two would be merged.

We are also committed to being a global leader on free trade, and in the immediate future, we pledge to do the following in government:

1. Closer economic and cultural relations with other Commonwealth countries will be sought by negotiating free-trade agreements and collaborating on cultural projects. Diplomatic staff with a trade portfolio will be increased where needs present.

2. We will work on being a part of the MERCOSUR-EU and ASEAN trade deals, or have a trade deal with both blocs, in order to not miss out on the two up-and-coming developing markets, in addition to the ongoing work on trade deals with the US, Canada, India, and the EU.

4. We have the ambition to abolish Business Rates.

5. New Homes Bonus will be extended to property that has been abandoned for more than 5 years that is now being put to use again.

6. We will remove incentives to leave houses empty such as council tax discounts and introduce a new council tax band at 150% of council tax for properties that have been abandoned for more than 2 years.

7. The VAT on commercial and residential energy bills will be abolished (Replicate section 1 of B1068).

8. The VAT on sustainable products and services will be abolished (Replication of B1031).

9. The VAT for building work will be abolished to bring long-term abandoned homes back into a state of repair from 5% to VAT free by amending the VAT Notice 708.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How do you intend to deal with the Brexit issue?

A referendum with 2 options:

Accept the Withdrawal Agreement with the EU
Remain in the EU.

I would campaign to Remain in such a referendum. I believe leaving the EU to be an act of economic self-harm, and value many aspects of EU membership, especially co-operation on security, the EU arrest warrant, and that on environmental issues. A democracy can change its mind.

Vote for Barnetlad
TheRadishPrince
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The Brexit Issue

It is clear to see that the Brexit problem has caused our political system to be ridiculed, our people to be fragmented and our country to be humiliated on the international stage for the past few years.

The Liberal Democrat solution is a simple one. A vote for the Liberal Democrats is a vote to prevent Brexit from further stagnating our country and a vote for strong, profitable ties with the EU down the line. I ask you to also treat this as a foreign policy issue in regards to our relationship with the EU, something that no other party will be as passionate in supporting.

Our economy is better off not risking a disastrous no deal Brexit, losing valuable trade deals with our closest neighbours in exchange for a mythical deal with the US or China that I still see no sign of. I am in firm belief that we are the only party you can trust to provide a good and secure future for you and your families without throwing the country into the disastrous lottery of Brexit outcomes available if we were to continue with this madness.
Last edited by TheRadishPrince; 2 months ago
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
On Brexit

You cannot solve brexit. It now is part of politics and will be for the rest of time. I don't believe therefore that there is a solution and as such trying to find one is a waste of all of our times. I plan to ignore brexit and let others solve it whilst I deal with the things that matter.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
How do you intend to deal with the Brexit issue?

A referendum with 2 options:

Accept the Withdrawal Agreement with the EU
Remain in the EU.

I would campaign to Remain in such a referendum. I believe leaving the EU to be an act of economic self-harm, and value many aspects of EU membership, especially co-operation on security, the EU arrest warrant, and that on environmental issues. A democracy can change its mind.

Vote for Barnetlad
And what about those who want a no deal? Why do you exclude them? It seems unfair to not have that option if you're advocating for another referendum.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm sure you have been to "69 countries" :rolleyes:
Countries and territories.

Hong Kong, Macao, China, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, India, Indonesia, The Philippines, Australia, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Cyprus, Egypt, Germany, Greece, Latvia, Serbia, Russia, Iceland, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, The Netherlands, France, Belgium, The Vatican, Italy, Austria, The Czech Republic, metropolitan Portugal, Canada, The United States, Cuba, Curacao, Trinidad and Tobago, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Antarctica, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Vietnam, Lebanon, and Turkey.

I'm sorry you are both ignorant and you can't process the fact that someone can be more well-travelled than you are.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Posted on behalf of Mr T 999

We will respect what the people voted for that is to leave the EU. It is foolish to keep thinking the EU will give us a better deal and wasting time trying to renegotiate with them. We must leave with a no-deal and end Brexit once and for all!

Posted on behalf of Catusstarbirght.

As things stand, we have to leave the European Union. We have the referendum that gives us the mandate to do so and, short of another referendum, that remains the mandate we have to go with.

I would not revoke Article 50 or support the revocation of Article 50 without another referendum, and this stands even if the Liberal Democrats were to win a majority in this election. The idea that a general election mandate would provide a Brexit mandate for me promotes the idea that this GE is just a proxy for another referendum. People vote on more issues than Brexit in a general election, and I think this view forgets that.

Therefore, as things stand, we must leave the EU to honour that referendum outcome, and I would prefer to leave with a deal than without.
Why are you posting on behalf of some people who are here?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
And what about those who want a no deal? Why do you exclude them? It seems unfair to not have that option if you're advocating for another referendum.
I disagree- if you want no deal effectively then by supporting the Withdrawal Agreement that option remains if you make no effort to do a trade deal this year.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Hong Kong, Macao, China, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, India, Indonesia, The Philippines, Australia, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Cyprus, Egypt, Germany, Greece, Latvia, Serbia, Russia, Iceland, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, The Netherlands, France, Belgium, The Vatican, Italy, Austria, The Czech Republic, metropolitan Portugal, Canada, The United States, Cuba, Curacao, Trinidad and Tobago, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Antarctica, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Vietnam, Lebanon, and Turkey.

I'm sorry you are both ignorant and you can't process the fact that someone can be more well-travelled than you are.
Nice bragging dude. Nobody cares how many countries you been to. So let's get back on topic.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Why are you posting on behalf of some people who are here?
I was sent these answers earlier.

Mr T 999 Do you want me to continue posting your answers?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

I don't have any issue about the number of countries people have visited historically, but wish for more sustainable travel in future. Especially with 15% of people making 70% of flights, many of which are business journeys for which modern communications could substitute for.
TheRadishPrince
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Aph)
I plan to ignore brexit and let others solve it.
I thought this was Labour telling us their Brexit policy for a second reading that
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I disagree- if you want no deal effectively then by supporting the Withdrawal Agreement that option remains if you make no effort to do a trade deal this year.
Supporting the withdrawal agreement is another option to remain it's a not a no deal. Seems you like you wish Ignore what the people voted for and foolish enough to actually believe the EU will give us a good deal.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Nice bragging dude. Nobody cares how many countries you been to. So let's get back on topic.
Yes, let's. I wasn't the person ignoring the on-topic points to focus on how many countries I have visited. Where do you get the idea that to travel to places, you need to prove that you have medical insurance?
Last edited by Baron of Sealand; 2 months ago
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Aph)
On Brexit

You cannot solve brexit. It now is part of politics and will be for the rest of time. I don't believe therefore that there is a solution and as such trying to find one is a waste of all of our times. I plan to ignore brexit and let others solve it whilst I deal with the things that matter.
Whilst I disagree with your view, other things that matter have taken a back seat with Brexit, and would continue unless we voted to Remain via the referendum I propose.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads