This discussion is closed.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I was sent these answers earlier.

Mr T 999 Do you want me to continue posting your answers?
Yeah please do.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I don't have any issue about the number of countries people have visited historically, but wish for more sustainable travel in future. Especially with 15% of people making 70% of flights, many of which are business journeys for which modern communications could substitute for.
I don't do business trips.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Whilst I disagree with your view, other things that matter have taken a back seat with Brexit, and would continue unless we voted to Remain via the referendum I propose.
Or rather, unless we actually leave the EU.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
I don't do business trips.
You may not but many business people do. We should not be expanding airports, and I oppose the third runway at Heathrow.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Or rather, unless we actually leave the EU.
If we leave there will be the trade deal taking a long time to negotiate, and every four years with the provision for the people of Northern Ireland to decide on the trade arrangements, the issue would not go away.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Whilst I disagree with your view, other things that matter have taken a back seat with Brexit, and would continue unless we voted to Remain via the referendum I propose.
That's a joke and a half. If you think that remaining won't mean that in 5 years times at the next GE we get Nigel Farrage and his goons elected to take us out then I'm quite sorry but I think you are insane. Brexit will never be solved. If we leave people will push for us to rejoin and if we stay people will continue to fight to leave. We should all give up on brexit and just deal with things that truly matter.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If we leave there will be the trade deal taking a long time to negotiate, and every four years with the provision for the people of Northern Ireland to decide on the trade arrangements, the issue would not go away.
A trade negotiation with the EU would not dominate politics, just like how no trade deal anywhere in the world has dominated local politics for years.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You may not but many business people do. We should not be expanding airports, and I oppose the third runway at Heathrow.
I struggle to see how many of the people who are obliged to go on business trips can simply choose not to have them.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
3.How do you intend to revitalise infrastructure in this country, are there any current projects you'd cancel?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Posted on behalf of Mr T 999

We plan on reviewing the HS2 project and seeing if a better value of money can be achieved elsewhere.

Posted on behalf of CatusStarbright:

I would like to see a move towards more nuclear and renewable energy sources to reduce pollution and to assure sustainable energy for generations to come.

With regards to transport, and specifically HS2 since that seems to be what this question is hinting it, I would like to say that I support all moves towards cheaper, more efficient travel. This includes projects such as Crossrail and HS2. Despite its problems, I would like to persevere with HS2, but I think there should be a review to investigate what has been going wrong and what can be improved upon moving forward.

I would also support the third runway at Heathrow since – especially in a post-Brexit work – ease of travel makes a city a more desirable and easier place to do business. I want London to remain a central world business hub and stay competitive in legal and financial markets.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
We have in fact a lot of infrastructure plans we would like to share. In transportation:

1. Airport and runway expansion will be permitted at any airport in the core eight cities, London, and Southampton with the possibility of funding through private capital.

2. Air travel is essential to an island nation that is a global centre of finance, tourism, education, and culture. At the moment, London Heathrow Airport is full despite the fact that air traffic in the country is getting heavier and heavier. Whilst it is possible for the expansion to be a government incentive, opening it up to the private sector will ensure that everything is as cost-effective as possible, keeping fares for passengers down, and also reducing the financial burden it would cost to Her Majesty’s government.

3. HS2 will be amended to run via Nottingham and Sheffield city centres in order to increase accessibility and development in the region.

4. HS3 will receive full support by 2030 to wholly update our nation’s infrastructure, to get other parts of the UK ever more connected. Specifically, we are committed to bringing a speed of 140mph between Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, via Huddersfield rather than Bradford.

5. Electrification of Great Western mainline will be fully supported.

6. Electrification of Cross Country franchise will be done between Bristol and Sheffield by 2030 including spur from Birmingham to Nottingham.

7. The electrification of Midlands mainline will be supported with electrification of the Nottingham to Sheffield stretch by 2030.

8. New or amended routes on mainlines to allow for 140mph throughout, bypassing current speed restrictions, prioritizing the Midlands and Cross Country lines.

9. On the Hope Valley Line, between Sheffield and Manchester, the railway will be electrified to 90mph, and to allow Liverpool/Manchester services to bypass Leeds.

10. Toll roads will be permitted where the private sector will provide the capital free of subsidy or guarantee. This will provide a sustainable model and to ease the financial burden for Her Majesty’s government, while still renewing our roads. Any firm building and operating a toll road must evidence capital availability to remove the road, should a sale be unable to occur.

We have, of course, more plans broadly on infrastructure:

1. There will be Channels (second age) and modular housing (third age).

2. We will merge B1031 and B1050, in order to have sustainable incentives.

3. Smart meters will become mandatory by 2025 on all residential and commercial property for electricity, gas and water.

4. Ground source heat pumps will become mandatory for all new build residential and commercial property by 2025.

5. By 2030, new residential property developments of more than 100 should produce enough energy to heat their water all year (on average) from renewable sources, with support for micro-generators such as solar panels on a rooftop.

6. Amongst renewable energy sources, geothermal energy will be given priority in renewable generation with a goal of producing enough to heat all UK homes by 2030.

7. We will approve an Iceland-UK geothermal power link should the proposal requires no subsidy or minimum price guarantee from the British state

8. National Grid will become publicly owned (49% to be floated - Statoil model - excessive profit margins).

9. We will build all new electric transmission cables underground.

10. 3 desalination plants will be built based in East Anglia, the South East and Greater London to satisfy our water needs.

11. We will complete replacement of all Victorian water transmission by 2050.

12. We will split water transmission and generation. Current water market will be modeled similar to the energy market, with competing producers and retailers, and a public transmitter.

13. Water meters will be mandatory in all residential and commercial property by 2025

14. Taxes on all residential construction developments will be abolished when purchased by a first time buyer - like the starter homes.

15. We will build 100,000 modular homes per year in addition to whatever the private sector produces. The construction will be restricted to the core 8 cities, Greater London and Southampton. The Right to Buy will be as generous as possible.

16. We will reduce the planning objection period, to speed up construction in the country.

17. Statoil modeled public firm will be given responsibility over digital infrastructure.

18. Rural infrastructure speeds will double by 2025 subject to a review highlighting the most efficient ways to deliver this goal.

19. We will move towards the digitatiation of government as a whole, including the application for citizenship and other government services. This will reduce the need for front-desk staff, wait time in offices, and also make it more convenient for our residents and nationals overseas to access our services.

20. A pilot scheme will be introduced in selected cities to partly expand council housing stock and allow the right to buy to let people buy them on the cheap over time. This is expected to solve homelessly quickly.

The second part of the scheme will have a focus on the starter home by not taxing these developments and passing on that difference to first time buyers only. This will be a reward for the aspirational.

We are not looking to cancel anything.
TheRadishPrince
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Our countries infrastructure holds great potential for the next few decades. We, for the time being, plan to finish the HS2 project due to extreme levels of spending forced onto it by other parties to provide you a better end product that is not going to waste your hard earned money in cancelling after so long.

We will also work to reduce usage of fossil fuels with timed targets for the ending of production of diesel powered cars as well as renewable energy goals. We will also offer businesses tax incentives to meet new targets. This helps the environment without destroying business and potential new projects.

I personally would also oppose a third runway for Heathrow as it would do more harm to our environment than the potential benefits can realistically justify for me.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How do you intend to revitalise infrastructure in this country, are there any current projects you'd cancel?

The main revitalisation has to be in energy sources, so I would increase the proportion of renewables to 70% by 2025. This would be through growth in wind, wave and solar power- I proposed to the House that sports ground roofs should have solar panels on them, to give a recent example.

Bringing railways into public ownership is a way of revitalising them, with line re-openings and a simpler fares system. On HS2, I would not cancel it, but have it as a conventional railway to increase capacity, and build the so-called HS3 (Leeds-Manchester) before any expansion north of Birmingham.

Infrastructure is not just about physical connections but virtual, and the lack of reasonable broadband to many areas is unacceptable. I would use regulations on BT and other providers to ensure that coverage was increased.

The infrastructure plans I would cancel are Trident, and most if not all of the new proposed road building, including the new tunnel at Silvertown, London.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
On Infrastructure

I believe that the best way to improve infrastructure is to reduce it. I will seek to reduce the number of cars in cities, this will increase public transport, making it cheaper and improve the air in inner cities, making life better for children and those with respiration issues.

I will support HS2 as I believe that when it gets done it will have a positive impact on the country.

Lastly, I will support improved rail links, making more train lines which run more frequently.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would also incentivise modernisation and energy efficiency in the planning system- there may be common ground in the ideas expressed in an earlier question re the use of empty homes and buildings.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Aph)
On Infrastructure

I believe that the best way to improve infrastructure is to reduce it. I will seek to reduce the number of cars in cities, this will increase public transport, making it cheaper and improve the air in inner cities, making life better for children and those with respiration issues.

I will support HS2 as I believe that when it gets done it will have a positive impact on the country.

Lastly, I will support improved rail links, making more train lines which run more frequently.
Cars are not infrastructure. If you want to reduce the number of cars, you're not reducing infrastructure. Increasing public transport is not reducing infrastructure.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A valid question for the Libertarians I feel. How could someone in a road crash taken to hospital be able to prove they are a UK national (or not), for example? Or indeed as a Polish national was one of the brave people who intervened in the London Bridge attack, what if he had received serious injuries?
Sometimes I really don't know where UKIP gets their ideas from. They don't seem to know the meaning of health tourism, and they always bang on about a points-based immigration system which the UK actually already has.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Sometimes I really don't know where UKIP gets their ideas from. They don't seem to know the meaning of health tourism, and they always bang on about a points-based immigration system which the UK actually already has.
We are in agreement on this even though we differ on many issues. UKIP also wanted the Circle line to be a circle again, having no clue as to how many people in west London benefit from the new route.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
We are in agreement on this even though we differ on many issues. UKIP also wanted the Circle line to be a circle again, having no clue as to how many people in west London benefit from the new route.
And the circle still exists so it's a non-issue...
Andrew97
Rep:
?
4. What is your stance on climate change and how do you intend to deal with it?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (478)
66.48%
No (241)
33.52%

Watched Threads